Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Serious 1.03 Akula II Bug?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goblin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Serious 1.03 Akula II Bug? Reply with quote

(if this has been posted before, my apologies because I couldn't find the thread)

So I was playing tonight, commanding the Akula II platform.
The host was running the stock version of the game with only the 1.03 patch and no other mods enabled.

I had six SS-N-27 ASW's loaded in my external tubes.
After firing tube 4, I expected an SS-N-27 ASW missile to emerge and travel to the top of the water.
Instead, a Type 40 torpedo that was colored yellow with black stripes emerges from the tube, immediately goes active, and starts it's circle route.
I was going 5 knots, and couldn't evade it when it finished it's circle and T-boned me for 100% damage.
This also happened to me earlier today in a different game.

This has to be a bug.
And just for those that will ask the obvious questions, let me clear them out right away:

I confirmed that I fired the number 4 external tube, which was also confirmed to have an SS-N-27 ASW loaded.
The torpedo that emerged was confirmed to be a yellow base with black stripes and has marks, which is a Type 40 torpedo.

However, the one piece of evidence that backs up my claim is that the Type 40 torpedo by itself is not selectable as an ordinance type in either the Akula II external or internal tubes.
The fact that it emerged from any of my tubes by itself is, according to the game, impossible.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Last edited by Goblin on Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Orm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the range did you pre-select? It could be that you left the 0 nmi on.
Goblin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was 1nm.
Honestly I can't remember if it was 1nm or 0nm though.

*edit*

After thinking hard about, the range WAS set for 0nm.

Logically, this is what SHOULD have happened if the range is set to 0nm for either an SS-N-27 ASW or an SS-N-16 Stallion:
The missile launches, travels to the ocean top, and flies straight up...reaching the peak of it's climb and starting back down again, releasing the Type 40/UMGT-1 torpedo in the approximate area of where it left the water.

Since this isn't what happened, there are only two explanations as to what really happened:

1. The SS-N-27 ASW missile casing lodged inside the external torpedo tube, and somehow the mechanism that triggers the release of the Type 40 torpedo was activated. With the casing stuck in the tube, the Type 40 launched directly from the missile casing.
This should have rendered the number 4 tube to be blocked with casing debris and unusable, but the indicator said EMPTY on the weapons control screen. =)

2. It's really a bug.
Orm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once tried to launch with 0 nmi preset, and just this happened. I would not call this a bug, rather a small lack of realism.
Ramius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately not a bug.

Yes the torp does appear straight away, but if you watch the 3D screen closly the capsule also gets discharged - hense the tube status says EMPTY.

As Orm said, its just a lack of realism thats all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goblin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an outrage.

I demand a refund, plus a check from S.C.C to compensate for any counseling or therapy I may require as a result of the trauma I have suffered when subjected to this non-realism scenerio.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are fixing the bugs sheesh give us time man some of us have been waiting since the game first came out be pacient.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bellman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Goblin - we are recruiting more 'hands' down in the 'Bilges.' With your delicate irony you would be very..........
(well at least a little) welcome. Yep Wink Very Happy
Goblin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitain wrote:
We are fixing the bugs sheesh give us time man some of us have been waiting since the game first came out be pacient.

Warning!

Now turning *sarcasm* off!

Very Happy
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bug here is that the enable range on the fire control can be set to less than minimum indicated (database) range. When this happens... really unlikable stuff occurs.

To prevent this from happening, only use the 27ASW correctly, that is, with it's enable range set at over it's minimum range, which is 5nm in practice (based on it's ballistic tradjectory).
Ramius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
....To prevent this from happening, only use the 27ASW correctly, that is, with it's enable range set at over it's minimum range, which is 5nm in practice (based on it's ballistic tradjectory).

Only problem with this is that if you set to enable at 5 miles, it will enter the water at about 8 or 9 miles. Yes the torp does enable at the 5 mile point, but it take that long to re-enter the water.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramius wrote:
LuftWolf wrote:
....To prevent this from happening, only use the 27ASW correctly, that is, with it's enable range set at over it's minimum range, which is 5nm in practice (based on it's ballistic tradjectory).

Only problem with this is that if you set to enable at 5 miles, it will enter the water at about 8 or 9 miles. Yes the torp does enable at the 5 mile point, but it take that long to re-enter the water.

That's only because the stock doctrines are busted.

There's a certain mod out there that fixes most the the fux0red doctrine and database problems. Wink
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramius wrote:
LuftWolf wrote:

Thanks ML.

Ramius, it's been quite some time since I've thought about those problems (ie the one's the mod fixes easily).

I suppose that is not good form, considering I am a beta tester as well as a modder.

But you are absolutely right about the stock game being quite far off with torpedo entry points. Smile
Ramius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i know there is a mod that can help with these matters, but not everyone wishes to use the mod / can use it (for whatever reason) / even knows about its existance.

As LW has stated, being a tester and a modder has its downsides.
The two are hard to put together, especially if you test with a mod installed :nope: :nope:

Hense, i have no mods installed on my installation of DW.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I can excuse myself mostly because I believe moddabilty to be an equally important feature of modern games as basic gameplay, graphics, and sound. Yep :know:

And I actually want to play the best version of the game available, as that is the best test of its capability, and the best experience. Thumbs Up

Cheers,
David
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: