Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

A Lil Progress Report 2/06

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Indie Subsims
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: A Lil Progress Report 2/06 Reply with quote

i've spent the last couple days with my head wrapped around quaternion rotations and jittering visuals and cigarettes and late nights... i've been up, i've been down... there were times when things looked really dim... then there were times when solutions came from seemingly outta nowhere...

in spite of my tribulations, i've got a newfound respect for 3DRAD... with all the stuff i'm throwing at it, it's still hangin tuff... and i'm forging on...

ok... here's where i'm at today... lots of code rebuilt... lots redone... more efficient... i'm basically concentrating on the sub, the interior, and the crew... the sub basic dynamics (turn, acclerate, decelerate, etc) and the movement of the crew (aka the player) throughout the sub...

these parts are central to the sim, and need to be done and validated before the rest is put together... i've got an entire fleet sub interior done (minus torpedo rooms), and i figured a way to get it all into the game (it's still able to run on a 733mHz GeForce2 system) so that the frame rate is still good... but i had to abandon the idea of the interior follwing the sub around due to my inability to overcome some anomolus quaternion movements and jittering in the scene...

i've redone the subs movement dynamics and the power system (batt and eng), but alas multiple engine physics had to be abandoned... i just couldn't get it working right and it kept me running around in circles for 2 days... centerline thrust is the best i could do...

ok, here's some views of the interior...

in the control room head aft to galley (placeholder textures and some sections are not textured or lightmapped yet)...

passing through the crews mess we enter crew berthing and head aft into the fwd engine room...

turn around and head forward to the fwd battery (officer country)

looking forward down the fwd battery... captains quarters, ward room, and officer berths can be seen, the back to the control room and up the ladder to the attack center in the conning tower...

on the bridge viewing the sunset...

after i get a fresh pack of smokes, the diving dynamics will be pugged back in and the code streamlined... then off to the modelling and texturing 'shop' to finalize the meshes and make em look pretty...

a few more days then it's on to animating the crew and adding the ai enemy and testing it...

then a whole scenario... test... then multiplayer and test...

after that... then the final buildup...

a lot left to do... but i'm rushing... and the end is in sight...

i want to keep the whole sub, but it all depends on 3DRAD... i also want to keep the engineering officer... but again, that all depends on how things go... right now, the plan is to have an engineering officer and a chief machinist mate (basically the same duties, but the mm will be the demo crew member and an aux player to relieve the Eng Officer in multiplayer...

grand plans eh... ;D

k, time to go back under... diving officer, submerge the ship...

laater...

--Mike

Last edited by Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great Mike! Thumbs Up Keep up the good work! Yep
EAST

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good Mike, I look forward to playing it.
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead sexy Mike. Lots of progress I see. I'll have a case of cigs sent to your place. Wink

Quote:
and i figured a way to get it all into the game (it's still able to run on a 733mHz GeForce2 system) so that the frame rate is still good

You just brought a tear to my eye. Let Ubisoft worry about eye candy.

PD
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the encouragement guys...

i just finished recoding the diving and deck angles, and am testing it out now...

i wanted to get to modeling, texturing, and uv mapping the final sub and interiors today, but i doubt if that's gonna happen... i'll start on that tommorrow...

--Mike
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Indie Subsims All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: