Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Model impact discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mod Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on resizing the German PTG Type 143A and Charles DeGaulle.

I have a GUPPY Northern Sail (USS Razorback SONAR) completed and available for conversion to DW. Other Sails (EB, Portsmouth) and Designs (SSG, PUFFS ETC) can be built. It may need a new paint job since I'm not really happy how it turned out.

I have a Zulu IV SS that is almost done being modeled and then I will map and paint.

Xabba does that Golf needs painting? I could probably use a lot of the Foxtrot paint on that. Oh and is it a Golf II? I have in image in GttSN that has an image of one with a boxy radio buoy housing on the very end of her hull (just aft of the after escape trunk I think). I don't know if you've seen it...
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope Golf I
More sail boats would be good....
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XabbaRus wrote:
More sail boats would be good....
Never built a sail boat before...

But that reminds me the Akula II has two models can say a cargo ship have a different model for each boat without messing up missions made with the previous DB? Have one be a RO/RO and another be a SEABEE etc… Same with the Trawlers, have a big trawler and a small trawler...
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as its not a playable, you can add any number of versions of individual ship types because the sim will handle them as unique objects. Smile

So yes, we could have five types of oilers, seven types of freighters, unique giant piggyback ships, etc... In fact, those could all be added to the database within two hours or less provided their statistics were already set. We could even give them all unique sonar profiles easily. It is doing the modelling to make them proper additions that's the creative and laboreous task of adding new platforms.

In terms of playables, things get a whole lot more complicated and restricted. We are lucky from a modding standpoint that SCS included two version of the Akula II's or two version of the MK46 so that the human launched version could be converted to MK54. Not to mention the problems you guys have with masts, sails, and doors... :dead: Crying or Very sad
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But would it cause missions to be incompatable?

Basicly I wouldn't want to see Stock and LWAMI need converting between them selves and to DWX when its out.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
But would it cause missions to be incompatable?

Basicly I wouldn't want to see Stock and LWAMI need converting between them selves and to DWX when its out.

If you add new platforms to a game, then the missions have to be designed for them to be included. That necessarily makes missions that utilize the new platforms incompatible with stock versions or other mods.

That's one price of expanding the database.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want a new platform I just want the existing boats to point to several diffrent 3D Models like the 'Vepr and Gepard Akula IIs. Or is that not possable without making all missions imcompatable?
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vepr and the Gepard are two separate objects. So in game terms they are as different as a Slava and a Han.

Most or all other boats of the same class share the same object and have different names listed that are attatched to that same object, so no, it is not possible to have multiple 3-d models for the same class of ship if they share the same object in the database.
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm could do if the model isn't there.

Actually guys I'm going to put this into a seperate thread as this one is for modellers to decllare what they are going to do.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks Xabba. Neutral\

Sorry about the attempted hijacking. Argh
OKO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:

If you add new platforms to a game, then the missions have to be designed for them to be included. That necessarily makes missions that utilize the new platforms incompatible with stock versions or other mods.

That's one price of expanding the database.

And thats why new platforms (not modified, but new ones) should be part of a global pack and never be released individually.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting OKO, very good idea there...

So the same missions would work for LWAMI or stock so long as the user installed the "New Platforms Pack" or something.

Ok, I think as I add platforms to the LWAMI database I can make a separate install for stock users as well.

I want to support the mission designers as much as possible, so just let me know what you think would work the best for everyone. Thumbs Up
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a LWAMI platform pack every mission done for it will have to be remade when DWX comes out. I think it would be too much of a headache.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's assbackwards thinking TLAM.
OneShot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some food for thought ... but without critizing anybody ... how about expanding the scope of the LwAmi Mod? Right now its just about realism and tweaks to the database and doctrines. Now it seems that more models are comming to pass soon .. why not include them?

Why do we have to have a DWX? Just because SCX was famous? We already have one established mod, who has undergone a lot of review and is continually improved ... why don't we add those models to it?

KISS principle ... Keep It Simple Stupid

One mod who has all the nice things in it, preferably with an easy to use installer/uninstaller. Makes life easy on the actual user and avoids a lot of problems.

The community is pretty small as it is, and if we grow ourselves a bunch of Mods competing for the sparse userbase it will become difficult to get a game, especially for new users. Right now its just the question do you use LwAmi and what version do you play (this will change once 1.03 Final is out I would say) so in the future the question will be "do you use the mod or not" (Yes Bellman : ... To mod or not to mod).

My suggestion would be that the Lw/Ami and the modelers sit together and work out a way to have one mod.

Just my 2cts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mod Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: