Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Evading a torpedo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Evading a torpedo Reply with quote

Is there a trick for escaping from a torpedo? And is there a way to find out where the torpedo s without use Truth? Thanks for any help.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to avoid it is to stay outside of its sensor cone. Clear datum immediately after revealing your location or being fired on (which implies that they know your location).

If it does lock onto you...

In the stock game, placing a decoy between you and the torp will do the trick just about every time, since the torp explodes when it hits the decoy. To improve your chances of getting the torp to lock up the decoy, turn across the LOS between the torp and the decoy; this will force the torp sensor to sweep over the decoy when it turns to lead your new course.

With LW/Ami, decoys only attract torps, they don't destroy them, so you must either drop decoys and scoot far enough away that you are out of range when the torp reaches the decoy, or manuever rapidly enough that when the torp passes the decoy you are outside its sensor cone.

As for knowing where they are, you know the same way you know where everything else is--TMA! As a shortcut, you can use UUVs to triangulate the location, either in pairs or with ownship sonar data. If you know the location of the shooter its easy to enter an initial TMA solution which will suffice for a range estimate over the long term, while using sensor data to provide bearing. In intial TMA solution is often easy even when you don't know the location is was fired from, since there's a very good chance you can mark it with two sonar arrays and get a halfway decent triangulation.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue book of submarine ops recomended www.subguru.com on downloads page

evading is simple but it depends on skill and luck i still get killed often mainly because i faulter on a turn or monover a silly mistake kills and i know ive made plenty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sonar732

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the stock game, placing a decoy between you and the torp will do the trick just about every time, since the torp explodes when it hits the decoy. To improve your chances of getting the torp to lock up the decoy, turn across the LOS between the torp and the decoy; this will force the torp sensor to sweep over the decoy when it turns to lead your new course.

The Akula captain in the Steam trailer went the wrong way.
Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll usually drop an Active shallow, drop an Active Deep go to a depth mid way, throw my sub at flank speed and course to a 90-degree angle on the best guess of the incoming torpedo's bow.

If Truth is on or there is good link Data I'll fire another torpedo at a very slow speed or a UUV and usually they work as good decoys.
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Evading a torpedo Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Is there a trick for escaping from a torpedo?

Depending on what range they launch the torpedo at, you might be able to outrun it.

Quote:
And is there a way to find out where the torpedo s without use Truth? Thanks for any help.

The best way is to find the attacking platform first. If you'd found him already, though, you probably wouldn't have a torpedo shot at you.

Absent that, the best thing you can do in DW is mark the bearing, fire a snapshot down the bearing (just to give them something to think about), and run as fast as you can in the opposite direction while putting as many countermeasures as possible in the water.

Once you start running absolutely DO NOT stop. You might want to go active at this point, though, because it's not like you're hiding much.
nikimcbee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitain wrote:
blue book of submarine ops recomended www.subguru.com on downloads page

evading is simple but it depends on skill and luck i still get killed often mainly because i faulter on a turn or monover a silly mistake kills and i know ive made plenty

Ditto Ping
It's quite a rush to have torp race over the top of you. I learned the trick from the blue book. Rock
Sonoboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn directly away from the torpedo when i know I'm going to be locked up, then I drop a decoy, run straight for a few seconds, and then make a 45 degree course change to whichever side. running straight for a few seconds allows the torpedo ample time to lock onto the CM. Then turning to try to get out of its cone.

Then I run perpendicular to the incoming torpedo. At some point in time I will drop another CM, and make another course change down the bearing of where the torpedo originated. This move insures that after the torpedo hits the first CM, it will find the second one before finding you.

If you're really unlucky, and the torpedo has locked onto you after passing the second CM, and if you're up against a human opponent, there is a chance that your enemy will think that he locked himself up with his own torpedo, and might shut it down. Happened with me once.

And if you're really lucky, the enemy sub will be close enough that it will see you on HFAS zooming by, followed by his torpedo that doesn't care what it kills... it's hungry.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn directly at the torpedo and close the distance before it can arm. It’s worked before for me. Ping
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
Turn directly at the torpedo and close the distance before it can arm. It’s worked before for me. Ping

I'll keep in mind that you have said this for the next time I dive with you. Wink
Oberon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
TLAM Strike wrote:

I'll keep in mind that you have said this for the next time I dive with you. Wink

"You arrogant ass, you've killed us!"
Scion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oberon wrote:
LuftWolf wrote:
TLAM Strike wrote:

No that was the third torpedo.

In HFRO, the first torpedo from the Alfa went over the top of Red October, with the enable range set too high. The second was evaded by Red October by turning into the torpedo and closing the range to below the enable range. The Third was the one that the Alfa fired "without saftey features" and was eventually tricked into killing the alfa.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its true jonesy even said so and he was sonar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scion wrote:
Oberon wrote:
LuftWolf wrote:
TLAM Strike wrote:

No that was the third torpedo.

In HFRO, the first torpedo from the Alfa went over the top of Red October, with the enable range set too high. The second was evaded by Red October by turning into the torpedo and closing the range to below the enable range. The Third was the one that the Alfa fired "without saftey features" and was eventually tricked into killing the alfa.
You not counting the torpedo droped by the Seahawk. Wink
sonar732

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitain wrote:
its true jonesy even said so and he was sonar

Yea....and as if we had a dot matrix printer that printed out the name of the boat/ship we were classifying... Rotfl Rotfl
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: