Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Anyone else dissapointed it will be PTO?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redwine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not disapointed at all, really i want it will be a german sub sim, because we have a lot of losse things in SH3, as Thermal Layers, Wolf packs, Milk Cows, diferent DDs and DEs behaviour, and many more, not my intemption to star-up a discision about it here.

Really i want a COMPLETE WW2 German Subsim, and a COMPLETE pacific USA/Japan Subsim, and...... i want a good WW1 Subsim too !
WW1 subsim must to have a so diferent way to do the war.... a missed point in sub simulation.
Wulfmann

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt any reasonable person would suggest the PTO offers a better gaming opportunity.
That said one then must ask if a “improved” version of SH3 is what SH4 is, then doing the Atlantic would offer little financial success or at least perceived by the suits.
Please note that the Germans lost far more than 52 U-Boats in the so called “Happy”
time so the fact is they will have to increase the difficulty a bit beyond reality or it will be without a proper challenge.
So, we will get a PTO game. Like it or not. I like it. Not because Ich bin Amerikaner but it will be a new set of circumstances to explore and I am confident the mod community will not only improve it but cross over some of the updates to SH3.
That said, I believe a good PTO would be enhanced if it included a bonus patch to update SH3 Atlantic.
That is where the good marketing money lays, a reason to buy a new game and reward the loyalty of their paying customers.
I hope they get a clue about language as the English is terrible in SH3 and even though I use the German language that too is not as good as it could be.
We all know such little matter can be improved upon.
I am still of the belief a WWI update add-on would be popular. Using the same game with 2 new sub models and ship models etc and one would have a whole new version of what is a very good game already.
Wulfmann
Jonesy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello people, first time poster, long time lurker around here. Smile

I was a big fan of the first silent hunter so a return to the PTO could really be a good thing with the new graphics capabilities, I know that the Japanese didn´t master the art of ASW as well as the british did in the Atlantic but I remember dying enough times in SH1, So that shouldn´t be a problem. (of course i was just a small kid then...not much pacience)

the most important thing about SH4 is that it must not...come with starforce again Stare , starforce completelly destroyed what was otherwise a great experience with SH3 for me, loved the game but ended up uninstalling it because Starforce kept screwing up my system.
gilbertf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Silent Hunter4 will be Pacific based.

Silent Hunter 3 is pretty good and is right now based on german uboats. It's been two games based on the uboats since the first silent hunter and time has come to go back to the pacific.

We need some fresh air. New submarines and a new context of war will be refreshing after having played SH2 and SH3.

I like SH3. But I dont want to play SH4 even if improved in the same area with the same kind of boats.

And the first SH was Pacific based so what's the problem huh ? Argh

The first submarine game I ever played was Gato from the DOS.
Then I played a game where you would play uboats with a graphical interface, still launched from the DOS. I dont recall its name.

I also played Silent Service and i loved it Smile

I am very impatient, 10 years over, to come back to the Pacific area with the today modern improved graphics !
Sea Demon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say I'd love to play in the Pacific theater. Already seen the Atlantic twice.
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atlantic will never get old. I agree with a previous poster. If they are going to come out with a game, i want it COMPLETE with options for noobs as well as hardcore gamers. A pacific game i can stomach now, specially since its official, but i want it COMPLETE.. Do not miss any really important features devs! please!!!! Do not exclude too much, make it playable for us hardcore gamers who crave realism!! thats all i ask!
SubSerpent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it. If the game looks good (graphically), and has cool features that actually work and are implemented into the game correctly, and the gameplay is fantastic and addicting, you will buy it, I know I will.

I never liked anything 'space' related for a game and found them to be completely boring. I just never had much interest in star trek or star wars, but one day I found myself standing in a game shop staring at a wall of games that did not interest me. Made me mad really since I was waiting for a long awaited game (forget which one) but it was not in that day. I WANTED A GAME DAMN IT! I wasn't leaving without one or two hehe = ) So anyways I picked up a space game (Microsoft's Freelancer) and some other game that day. NOTE: Usually when there isn't a game on the shelf that I want or that I have been looking for I end up buying two 'unknowns'. This way I have two games and one of them might be half ass interesting. Sometimes neither of them is worth a damn and I feel horrible, but most of the time I will at least get one that will float my boat for awhile. ANYWAYS, Freelancer turned out to be one hell of an addiction for me - this coming from a guy who hates Space Sims or Space Games for that matter.

So to make a long story short(er) I think most of you will go out and buy SHIV regardless of what freakin part of the world it takes place in. I don't care if it takes place in Old Man River's backyard pond as long as the graphics and gameplay are phenomenal. And think of it this way, if you don't support SHIV then there might not be a SHV or SHVI and so on. These companies won't shell out the money unless they think there is a market. Unfortunately the Atlantic is getting to be used a bit to much and people are going to stop buying games that have anything to do with the Atlantic. Kind of like all the FPS Vietnam games that came out and how overdun that became. Now it's WWII FPS set in Europe and how overdun that has gotten. People want something new and not something they have seen time and time again. Give it a few years or a decade and I think you will see WWII Uboat games surface once again.
Trout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTO offers Ubisoft LOTS of fun gameplay potential:

1) more surface combat against small ships and coastal areas, perhaps in support of Marine Raiders attacking shore facilities?

2)challenges around shallow water navigation, nasty currents.

3) lots of graphic variety with weather, deep ocean, close to shore beaches, jungles, rocky cliffs, reefs ect.

4) more missions in pursuit of warships (how often do you get to ambush or chase after 30kn carriers, BBs or cruisers in SH3?)

5) With a better dynamic campaign, you could play a part in major offensives and invasions

The issue of this theatre being "easier" that the atlantic is just silly. SH3 is already pretty easy (too easy) if you ask me. With SH4 they should look for ways to make the game more difficult PERIOD. They could also give you options to take on VERY dangerous special missions that are not an option in SH3. How would you like to spy on the harbour at Truck, or navigate a minefield in the busy Bungo Straight? What about picking up a b29 crew in the water close to Tokyo, or a stranded coast watcher DEEP behind the lines in Malaysia?

Im reading a book now that describes how US submariners had to train on doing target motion analysis (TMA) on sound only contacts that could result in a firing solution. TMA is never easy with bearing only info - how would you like to try THAT in SH4!

I also know that when they were operating close to Japan, US subs stayed submerged through the day and had to get into shooting position without surfacing. I see some very tricky situations here where you have to choose the optimal path and speed to intercept that makes the best use of your limited battery power.

The US also had some VERY antiquated boats that stayed in service fairly late into the war

You would have to be nuts not to see the gameplay potential here.

It might be an easy game, but only if UBI chooses not to rise to the challenge of building a better subsim.

Trout
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Highbury, you ever checking your PM's ?
pythos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Let's not forget those Reply with quote

who refused to get SHIII because it simulates Nazi (German) U-boats. I remember one person here posting (after reading the post confirming SHIII would be the atlantic campaign) "then I won't be buying it" For every one like that, there are many who think like that. Each one of those, is one less customer for UBi. There are people who refuse to acknowledge the other side as something other than brutal murderers (which suprisingly the U-boat waffen was quite far from being, even with the execution of one commander who did shoot survivors.) The Nazis were evil, therefore anyone that served them were evil (again a falsehood) is the mindset of some people.

The United states were of course the good guys, and therefore Ubi might attract the people who refused to play the role of a baby killing Nazi (Donitz refused any political officers from being on his boats, sounds like someone walking in step with the nazis to me) by making one based on the U.S. operations in the pacific. Having read about the US boats, it should actually prove quite challenging concidering all boats before the Gato class were limited to a dive depth of 200 feet, (about half that of a type VIIB!) So dodging depth charges will be a true challenge.

Oh, and for those that concider U-boat commanders to be lock step Nazi idiots, I found this in "Wolf pack" Upon arriving at the docking peir, the commander of a returning Uboat yelled out "Are the Nazis still running things? Donitz himself said "yes". The commander ordered full reverse and commenced backing out of the dock, to approrous laughter by those on the peir, including Donitz. Not all those who fight for a government, believe in that government.
BH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The us navy submarine force played a very large role in the defeat of japan. Considering in 1942 japanesse forces were spread out over a very large area of the pacfic. The submarines stopped vital war supplies from reaching japanese troops and with the japanese unable to effectively supply troops, advances were stopped. The impact of us subs were huge. Not only that but there was extreme acts of heroism like Captain Sam Dealy (medal of Honor) The Destroyer Killer, who was killed by a captured us destroyed converted into a minesweeper by the japanese. Not before sinking 18 ships for 55,000

The point is Germany impacts were felt at the start of the war then like every other part of the german forces were simply overmatched (despite technological breakthroughs) The US submarines fleet was more sucessful, and not because japan did not have the capabilty to preform ASW.
aanker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
refused to get SHIII because it simulates Nazi (German) U-boats

I really liked the movie DAS BOOT and believe that all submariners are brothers, I just can't bring myself to torpedo any Allied warships or convoys even though it is just a game.

Art Anker
pythos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read about both major sub campaigns, these units in full numbers essentially could have brought the war to a grinding halt. But like every great tactic there was always some admiral or other higher up that wanted to drag thousands of troops, or build huge bulky battleships and aircraft carriers and put them into the war, surely to be destroyed.

Another such debacle in tactics is the story of the convair B-36. If this machine had been developed with the full backing of the admirals, this plane would have ellimanted the need for the island hpping campaign in the pacific. It could have launched strikes from the U.S., or Austrailia for the heavier bombloads, savings many a ground pounders life.

But thanks to some admirals getting their panties in a bunch, and demanding the money going to the B-36 instead go towards the construction of a giant Aircraft carrier called the United States, The B-36 didn't see service until nearly a decade after the start of the war. Oh and the United States never got built.
Uber Gruber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really liked the movie DAS BOOT and believe that all submariners are brothers, I just can't bring myself to torpedo any Allied warships or convoys even though it is just a game.

No offence but please have a real big think about your sentence. You are effectively saying you can't bring yourself to click on a screen, hence activating a subroutine which results in a graphical display of an explosion of a low detailed graphic of a ship on your screen. You feel that by clicking on this red button you are somehow associating yourself with an act of murder. Are you not well?!!!!
:nope:
aanker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Gruber, no offence taken ... I can't click the red button. I guess that I should have taken the blue pill. ;-)

Art Anker
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: