Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Anyone else dissapointed it will be PTO?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highbury

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Anyone else dissapointed it will be PTO? Reply with quote

I know alot of you guys are happy about SHIV being a Pacific Sim, but I was just wondering if I am alone in my views.

I have read alot about the sub operations in the Pacific to keep my history well rounded but it has never intrigued me or fascinated me in the was that the U-boat war in the atlantic did. I really don't have a bunch of technical reasons why. I am Americans will find it more appealing then I do.

Lets face it, sub SIMS are a niche market because honestly, between engagements there is not alot to do and most ppl who are not there for the subject matter will be bored by it's gaming value. PTO does not interest me so on this title I would be in the latter position.

Maybe if there is a SHV they will head back to the atlantic on it......

For those of you who DO want a Pacific sim and have been waiting for it, I do know what that is like. Gratz on seeing light at the end of the tunnel and hope it scratches your PTO itch. Very Happy
Hammar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sharing you'r feelings. I would more like to se the Pacific missions in a Patch or like a bonus chapiter after u done the org. "chapiters".

//Over and out.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an all-new game with an all-new engine, then I see no reason not to do another U-boat sim. If, however, as seems likely, it's going to have the same engine and style as SHIII, then why walk over the same ground? The original Silent Hunter was based in the Pacific, and it's still popular today, so there is definitely a market for it.

We already have SHIII, and it's wonderful. I don't see a completely new design worthy of starting another U-boat sim coming out within another five years. Then we can start over in the Atlantic again.
Highbury

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see the point? Rolling Eyes

SHIV will (most likely) be an improvement over SHIII in many ways. For those ppl who do not like the idea of a Pacific Sim it will be frustrating to see things that could make a game we like better, being put into a theater that we simply don't have any interest in.

Yes I know there is a market for it, believe I mentioned the ppl who had been waiting for this type of thing and repectfully said that I was happy for them.

You have to respect that there are ppl who have no interest in a PTO sim and for us any advances in the genre are wasted because we will always find the subject boring.

Dress it up however you like, list any possible feature, hell even impossible ones.. and I would still have no interest in Captaining an American U-Boat.

Forums are for opinions, this is just mine.
Takeda Shingen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, everyone has an opinion. Mine is that a return to the Pacific is long overdue. Besides, maybe the Atlantic could be taken care of in a patch or expansion once the primary game is completed.
Highbury

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takeda Shingen wrote:
Yes, everyone has an opinion. Mine is that a return to the Pacific is long overdue. Besides, maybe the Atlantic could be taken care of in a patch or expansion once the primary game is completed.

That would be very welcome indeed. But since what you suggest would basically be a whole new game on the SHIV engine I doubt it would be implemented in a patch. An expansion pack is the best we could hope for.

An expansion that adds a new theater the co-exists with the original is not too far fetched from ubi as players of IL-2FB/AEP/PF know. (But that may have been more of a 1c Maddox influence then ubi.)
aanker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Steve wrote:
.... The original Silent Hunter was based in the Pacific, and it's still popular today, so there is definitely a market for it.

We already have SHIII, and it's wonderful. I don't see a completely new design worthy of starting another U-boat sim coming out within another five years. Then we can start over in the Atlantic again.

Hi Sailor Steve, SH I is still popular today for those who can run this great DOS sub sim on XP. I can't count the number of people I have tried to help install it on XP with no success because of their graphics card or whatever.

I hope that UBI does work out the SH III bugs and creates the long overdue Pacific Theatre keeping in the tradition of SSI's SH I for those of us who have waited for it for years.

Art Anker
Torplexed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I know the PTO is a disappointment for those who favor the more intense Atlantic battles. Does seem overdue though.The original Silent Hunter came out in 1996 and there have been no Pacific War subsims since with exception of the Pacific Aces mod. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing a game set in the Mediterranean with British subs but that'll probably have to wait for some really intrepid software company out there.
finchOU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an American and I have to say that I still have more interest in the Atlantic than the PTO. I think this stems from the fact that I want a completed SH3 vise a SH4 PTO. I do have interest in PTO though..and would like to see that...but after SH3 gets a facelift and is completed.

If SH4 ends up being SH3 in the PTO...with little or no "BIG" changes...then im afraid UBI will have lost me as a customer. I think it would be sad that they would get away with that kind of poor showing...IMHO.

Last edited by finchOU on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harry Buttle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highbury wrote:

You have to respect that there are ppl who have no interest in a PTO sim and for us any advances in the genre are wasted because we will always find the subject boring.

Dress it up however you like, list any possible feature, hell even impossible ones.. and I would still have no interest in Captaining an American U-Boat.

I guess the point here is "do you have a point?"

There will always be people who aren't interested in the product/subject (close on 6.5 billion of them to be honest), Ubi are betting that more people will pay for a fresh perspective on a previously popular subject (submarine Pac war) rather than an immediate rehash of the atlantic war.

Lets be honest, if Ubi announced that SH IV was going to be the atlantic, half the people on these forums would refuse to buy it, because they just bought it and are not going to pay for an "overpriced patch to a product that should have worked right when they bought it".

If they do the Brits med, it has to be an add on to an existing game, as the market for full priced UK/Italy Submarine sims seriously defines 'niche product'.

So I guess I'd ask, why bother coming to a SH IV forum and telling us you have no interest in the product/subject? do you think we care? what do you hope to achieve? do you do this on every other forum that is for a product/subject that is of no interest to you?

I'm not being insulting - I'm really quite interested.
Ducimus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highbury wrote:

*reads between the lines*

Umm hmmm.
Type XXIII

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being less seasoned than most of the community (my subsim experiences only stretch back to discovering SHII in 2004,) I have never played a Pacific simulation and think it will be interesting to commandeer an American sub.

Anyway, I'm expecting that within months of SHIV's release, someone will release a U-boat mod based on the Atlantic, probably porting material from SHIII.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always people who do and people who don't. I personally really want a new Pacific sub sim, and while I understand the ones who don't I would really appreciate it if you would try to understand my feelings as well.

Where would we be now if half of us had said "We don't want another U-boat game!" two years ago?
Captain Krunch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highbury wrote:
SHIV will (most likely) be an improvement over SHIII in many ways. For those ppl who do not like the idea of a Pacific Sim it will be frustrating to see things that could make a game we like better, being put into a theater that we simply don't have any interest in.

You do realize you can spin this back the other way, right? Here's how I would say things:

SHII & SHIII will (most likely) be an improvement over SHI in many ways. For those ppl who do not like the idea of an Atlantic Sim it will be frustrating to see things that could make a game we like better, being put into a theater that we simply don't have any interest in. You have to respect that there are ppl who have no interest in a ATO sim and for us any advances in the genre are wasted because we will always find the subject boring.

This is no more wrong than what you say above.

At least you have had the chance to play *two* games set in the Atlantic over the last decade; why can't you let Pacific fans have some fun for a change?
Dogsbd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highbury wrote:
For those ppl who do not like the idea of a Pacific Sim it will be frustrating to see things that could make a game we like better, being put into a theater that we simply don't have any interest in.

Like the frustration I have lived with since 1997 with TWO Atlantic sub sims being produced and ZERO PTO sub sims being produced?

Sorry, I can't have any sympathy for anyone whinning for yet another Uboat sim.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: