Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

"SH3Gen" Campaign enhancement (version 0.5.2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly does the Wolfpack mod add?

Do you never get to see U-Boats or do you think they should show up more often? This information is valuable for me, because I can tune these quite easily.

U-Boats are a bit of a stepchild, because up to now most campaign files contain no active patrolling boats, only the ones close to port.
mikaelanderlund

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfpack is a great mod made by sergbuto which include AI subs attacking allied shippings with virtual torpedoes. The strange thing is that I have seen these subs on the map before when I did not gave the subs specific nams, but this time i gave the subs name like U46 and so on but now I cant see the subs with names on the map.

Mikael
Georg_Unterberg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global explorer,

I can help you with the translation, check your mail.
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Georg_Unterberg: Great! I have supplied you with a preview, and I am looking forward to working with you.

@mikaelanderlund: You mean by changing the "Name" tag in the Campaign_RND? Sh3Gen has an own system to generate names for UBoats, and never uses the "Name" tag. Reason is, that most texts are just generic crap like "Coastal_Traffic121", and it's almost impossible for the app to find out when it's not.
mikaelanderlund

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalExplorer wrote:
@Georg_Unterberg: Great! I have supplied you with a preview, and I am looking forward to working with you.

@mikaelanderlund: You mean by changing the "Name" tag in the Campaign_RND? Sh3Gen has an own system to generate names for UBoats, and never uses the "Name" tag. Reason is, that most texts are just generic crap like "Coastal_Traffic121", and it's almost impossible for the app to find out when it's not.
Yes, when I am changing the "Name" tag when I am using SH3mission editer (editing Campaign_scr). So you mean I can not "see" the subs on the map when I change the "name" tag to generate names like U46? Sorry for my bad english.

Mikael
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikaelanderlund wrote:
Sorry for my bad english.

I have the same problem Wink

Sh3Gen doesnt care for what you put in the Name field, whenever it finds a sub (class 200) it generates a new designation for it.

This is especially apparent with suppliers and milchcows, ever noticed that the blue navalbase designation / Sh3Gen marker never match??
mikaelanderlund

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am going to create a new wolfpack in my campaign and this time I will not change the "name" tag. I hopp I can see my pack this time on the map:8Cool . If not visible on the map it is almost hoppless to find the pack. Thanks for your great mod Razz

Mikael
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know if I get it.

If you have subs in the campaign layer they should appear, no matter what the name tag is. The name tag will be ignored and a new name will be created by Sh3Gen.

However, it is entirely possible that Sh3Gen doesn't work with the changes made by sergbutos mod, and that the subs are ignored. Maybe I have to look into that. The only snag is, I cannot download GW for a while, it's simply too big Wink

If the structure of the sub/wolfpack entry in Campaign_RND / Campaign_SCR deviates from the standard, there might be all kinds of strange situations.

Sh3Gen is definitely designed to run with AI UBoats, so we should try to find whats going wrong here.

Can you send me some code from the Campaign layer where sergbuto adds the Uboats?
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mod is REALLY COOL. Rock Rock Rock

SH3 is much crazier now! So much for my summer. Ping

Kb
mikaelanderlund

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalExplorer wrote:

If you have subs in the campaign layer they should appear, no matter what the name tag is. The name tag will be ignored and a new name will be created by Sh3Gen.

However, it is entirely possible that Sh3Gen doesn't work with the changes made by sergbutos mod, and that the subs are ignored. Maybe I have to look into that. The only snag is, I cannot download GW for a while, it's simply too big Wink

If the structure of the sub/wolfpack entry in Campaign_RND / Campaign_SCR deviates from the standard, there might be all kinds of strange situations.

Sh3Gen is definitely designed to run with AI UBoats, so we should try to find whats going wrong here.

Can you send me some code from the Campaign layer where sergbuto adds the Uboats?
Sorry, I have already deleted it :8Cool but I will send you my next GW 1.1 edited scr. fil including AI VIIa and AI VII-C/41 packs as soon as possible.

Mikael
Boris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalExplorer, if you need more english-german translators I can help... check you email.
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Does anybody ever use the logfile editor that comes with Sh3Gen? Because if not, it will be removed from the next package, especially because ít is no more needed since JScones has released version 2.5 of Sh3Cmdr.

Boris wrote:
GlobalExplorer, if you need more english-german translators I can help... check you email.

I might need an german-english translator as well!
mikaelanderlund

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikaelanderlund wrote:
GlobalExplorer wrote:

Sorry, I have already deleted it :8Cool but I will send you my next GW 1.1 edited scr. fil including AI VIIa and AI VII-C/41 packs as soon as possible.

Mikael

Ok, I have now put four subs into my scr. layer, three VII41/C and one VIIa. Two of the four subs are visible on the map this time. Do you know why I am not able to see all of them? I would like to see all of my subs. Do you think that will be possible?

Mikael
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every info that Sh3Gen plots is randomized and is influenced by a number of factors:

- the Theater of Operations (North Sea much better intel than South Atlantic)

- the intel level for the Location, if its in a port

- the historic period ("The Happy Times" much better intel than "The End")

- the target type

- the target allegiance

- you setting for the intel level slider

This is all because I never wanted the info to be god-like and to simulate the phases of the war. It is hard to explain how I handle the changes in the overall situation but it's a very good system.

Seeing only 2 out of 4 subs is not unexpected, though of course you'd rather see all four. There are several layers of parameters at work on top of the spatial model. The system now is optimized for the right amount of targets, not necessarily for friendly units. Also don't forget I have balanced the parameters with IUB 1.02.

I think this will get better with the next versions which will be balanced for the newer mods.
mikaelanderlund

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalExplorer wrote:
Every info that Sh3Gen plots is randomized and is influenced by a number of factors:

- the Theater of Operations (North Sea much better intel than South Atlantic)

- the intel level for the Location, if its in a port

- the historic period ("The Happy Times" much better intel than "The End")

- the target type

- the target allegiance

- you setting for the intel level slider

This is all because I never wanted the info to be god-like and to simulate the phases of the war. It is hard to explain how I handle the changes in the overall situation but it's a very good system.

Seeing only 2 out of 4 subs is not unexpected, though of course you'd rather see all four. There are several layers of parameters at work on top of the spatial model. The system now is optimized for the right amount of targets, not necessarily for friendly units. Also don't forget I have balanced the parameters with IUB 1.02.

I think this will get better with the next versions which will be balanced for the newer mods.

Thanks for you info Smile Do you think I can change just the "target type" parameter so all friendly subs will be visible on the map. Can you explain for me how to do that in your mod? Thanks!

Mikael
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: