Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

"SH3Gen" Campaign enhancement (version 0.5.2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBClark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalExplorer,

I just discovered this mod and following your instructions, successfully installed it to run with GW and SH3Commander. I did update Commander and MS net1.1 before I tried it.

This post is to let you know that:

1) It worked. 1st time! No problems. Thumbs Up

2) I like it. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Keep up the good work Sir. :sunny:

Regards,

JBC

2.4GHz P4
1 GB RAM
XP Pro
Nvidia GeForce 5700LE 128MB
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalExplorer wrote:

P.S. About the UBoats sinkings and/or virtual Uboat traffic, I would have to build a UBoat database first, anybody interested to help me with this? No coding required, only some interest to collect enough data from the various sources.

Well, some people around might have this already. Anyone from the uboat.net forums around?

What you actually require would be a database of sinkings, right?. Such as an excel file with the following:

(fictional)
U-569, IXD/2
Sunk 03.05.44 by depthcharges from aircraft or [030544, A/C DC]
All hands lost

Or is it too much info? In 1944 the map would be filled with RIP markings...
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonHelsching wrote:
GlobalExplorer wrote:

P.S. About the UBoats sinkings and/or virtual Uboat traffic, I would have to build a UBoat database first, anybody interested to help me with this? No coding required, only some interest to collect enough data from the various sources.

Well, some people around might have this already. Anyone from the uboat.net forums around?

What you actually require would be a database of sinkings, right?. Such as an excel file with the following:

(fictional)
U-569, IXD/2
Sunk 03.05.44 by depthcharges from aircraft or [030544, A/C DC]
All hands lost

Or is it too much info? In 1944 the map would be filled with RIP markings...

In the long term, I am thinking about much more than RIP markings Wink

Name=U-569
Commander=Mustermann
Waypoints=

Other than the UBoat name, commander and TOO it would be more in the spirit of Sh3Gen to have no historically correct data, instead it would be better to generate contacts/encounters from the data in the campaign files. Instead I would add waypoints for all Uboats, for every historical period. Of course its not realistic to have correct data for all boats, but usually it is possible to achieve a believable setup with less, well diversified data. For instance, the same waypoints could be reused for many boats.

Note: I could add your info about sinking of the boats itself, hadnt thought about it previously:

SunkDate=030544
SunkLat=12345.000
SunkLong=-154546.00
SunkBy=Aircraft
etc ..

Mind we are just exchanging thoughts, I have not decided yet about this feature. There are problems with the spatial operations for finding correct contacts. Particularly it is a problem that SpawnProbability is set to very low levels in all campaigns (albeit with good reason). This makes the chance to find any targets at the given coordinates lower, which is bad for Sh3Gen in general.
zzsteven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not real sure what you're trying to do. My understanding: You are trying to generate a listing of other Uboats locations in the game based on game data? If I understand correctly, the only Uboats in the game are the ones Rubini scripted in his HT mods and Sansals milkcows (modified by Rubini). There are no other Uboats in the game, or submarines for that matter. Someone would have to script them in the campaign files first.

If I'm misunderstanding then please feel free to ignore this old guy in the corner. Smile

zz

PS In the Parameters.ini file I noticed an entry for Aircoverage. SH3 Gen doesn't seem to show aircoverage, did this not get implemented?
Rhodes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the sh3 gen, I'm trying for the 1º time and the quickstart text says that the ingame map will have the updates and etc if everything whent right.
But my map and war diary has notting.
When a create a sav game and run the sh3 gen, I need to leave the game and then reload to have the updates of the sh3gen?
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzsteven wrote:
Not real sure what you're trying to do. My understanding: You are trying to generate a listing of other Uboats locations in the game based on game data? If I understand correctly, the only Uboats in the game are the ones Rubini scripted in his HT mods and Sansals milkcows (modified by Rubini). There are no other Uboats in the game, or submarines for that matter. Someone would have to script them in the campaign files first.

If I'm misunderstanding then please feel free to ignore this old guy in the corner. Smile

zz

PS In the Parameters.ini file I noticed an entry for Aircoverage. SH3 Gen doesn't seem to show aircoverage, did this not get implemented?

No, we were discussing with GE the possibility of displaying actual historic data (actual uboat sinkings) poitend out on the map according to the date. Nothing to do with the .scr layer.

Unless GE has something else in his mind...
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodes wrote:
I have a question about the sh3 gen, I'm trying for the 1º time and the quickstart text says that the ingame map will have the updates and etc if everything whent right.
When a create a sav game and run the sh3 gen, I need to leave the game and then reload to have the updates of the sh3gen?

What I do to use SH3Gen:

- Load a game (at the office)
- Get out of the port. More than 35 kms away. You will notice an FPS raise, then you ll know.
- Save your game
- Exit
-Load SH3Gen and select your savegeme.
- Generate map (after you fiddle your your preferre intelligence options first)
- Exit Sh3Gen
- Load SH3, your savegame.
- Press F5, et viola!
Rhodes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonHelsching, very thanks. Very Happy Thumbs Up
zzsteven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonHelsching wrote:
zzsteven wrote:

zz

No, we were discussing with GE the possibility of displaying actual historic data (actual uboat sinkings) poitend out on the map according to the date. Nothing to do with the .scr layer.

Unless GE has something else in his mind...

Guess my question was based on this paragraph:
"Other than the UBoat name, commander and TOO it would be more in the spirit of Sh3Gen to have no historically correct data, instead it would be better to generate contacts/encounters from the data in the campaign files. Instead I would add waypoints for all Uboats, for every historical period. Of course its not realistic to have correct data for all boats, but usually it is possible to achieve a believable setup with less, well diversified data. For instance, the same waypoints could be reused for many boats."

So maybe somewhere in the .scr or .rnd files create entries for Uboats?

zz
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzsteven wrote:

zz

Correct, Aircoverage trigger is still in, as well as most of the original logic. I hope to include a better implementation in the coming update.

Concerning your 1st question. I know that I cannot rely on UBoats in the campaign layer, hence all the fuss. VonHelsching and me have been chatting away about possibilities to build a UBoat database inside Sh3Gen. Its all at a very early stage, and I cant say often enough that its not decided yet. I see with regret regret that I seem to have problems to explain the point. Thats what happens when you try to learn Spanish, seems to be impending my eloquence in english Smile
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodes wrote:

Sh3Gen writes all changes into the specified savegame, thats why the save must be reloaded before anything shows up. Workflow is always:

- save
- alt-tab
- run sh3gen with the savegame specified
- reload
zzsteven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalExplorer wrote:
zzsteven wrote:

zz

Correct, Aircoverage trigger is still in, as well as most of the original logic. I hope to include a better implementation in the coming update.

Concerning your 1st question. I know that I cannot rely on UBoats in the campaign layer, hence all the fuss. VonHelsching and me have been chatting away about possibilities to build a UBoat database inside Sh3Gen. Its all at a very early stage, and I cant say often enough that its not decided yet. I see with regret regret that I seem to have problems to explain the point. Thats what happens when you try to learn Spanish, seems to be impending my eloquence in english Smile

Thanks for clearing the fog in my mind. If there is any way I can help, please do not hesitate to PM. I really like this program and would like to see it evolve.

Over the last ten years many of my co-workers only speak Spanish. It's been a great opportunity to learn a new language but the frustration of trying to explain something is aggrevating sometimes. Very Happy

zz
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I am back in Germany and Sh3Gen is very much alive.

Brad has made great progress recently. The english orders are almost complete. German translation will take place during May, and I hope to get Sh3Gen 0.6 ready in one month from now. Who wants to help me? We can split up the work by years, every year has 1-3 pages of text which need to be translated. Probably I will take over parts of the translation myself, but getting help would speed up release of the next version very much.

Contact by mail preferred. I will send out samples of the english version.

Thanks.

mail@christian-wendt.org

GE
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

January 1940 sample of standing operational orders data:

Code:

6 Jan, ships in the British eastern coastal area A, except American and friendly neutral vessels are allowed to be attacked on sight, without warning. Attacks are to be made unobtrusively and submerged in order to preserve the illusion of mine hits.

12 Jan, ships in British east coast areas & west of Bristol Channel, except US, friendlies & neutrals, to be attacked on sight, without warning. Attacks to be unobtrusive & submerged to preserve the illusion of mines. Prize Regulations in force elsewhere.

21 Jan, The inefficiency of the torpedoes has seriously affected morale of U-boat Crews. At least 25% of torpedoes fired were failures. Statistics to
6 Jan indicate 41% of misses due to this cause. These failures have lost us at least 300,000 tons.

24 Jan, British eastern coastal area off SE coast from Flamborough Head to Dover, is now unrestricted. All ships except US, friendlies & neutrals may be attacked on sight, without warning. Attacks to be unobtrusive & submerged to preserve illusion of mines.

Irish territorial waters extend for 10 miles. Outside these areas, Prize Regulations remain in force.
mikaelanderlund

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GlobalExplorer,

I am using wolfpack mod integreted in my GW 1.1 campagn scr. but the sometimes not showing up on the map. Do you know why? What shall I do to see my wolfpacks/subs on the map?

Mikael
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: