Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

"SH3Gen" Campaign enhancement (version 0.5.2)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: "SH3Gen" Campaign enhancement (version 0.5.2) Reply with quote

What is Sh3Gen?

I have been working on this idea since the day Sh3 came out. With the wonderful data driven architecture of Sh3, and all the campaign data so easily accessible, there had to be a way to greatly improve the Sh3 experience if it was combined with an application that makes use of historic and geospatial information.

I wanted to give the missions some direction, and create opportunities for roleplaying players. Especially, I wanted to give information about the elusive warships and inform about just the right moment to sneak into ports, as I personally never had a single warship encounter, nor sunk a ship in a port. Though I knew it was all there! If I could just get the information into the game there would be no more patrols without us knowing whats going on. But how could the information be put into the game?

The breakthrough was, when I found out that it is possible to write information into the savegames themselves, so they show up on reload. So far I am able to alter both the ingame map and the war diary, but there are a lot of other possibilities that I haven't made use of.

Sh3Gen is reading and analysing the campaign data in Sh3 (Campaign_LND, Campaign_SCR, Campaign_RND). It then makes randomized predictions based on the patrol date, patrol area and lots of historic info. If it succeeds, randomized data is then written back into the savegame.

Precisely, you will be given

-Information about some enemy ports - what kind of ships are there?
-Information about warships, big ships and convoys - where does the Kriegsmarine suspect them to be?
-Information about the overall situation - whats going on in the world in general?
-Information about single merchants - in which areas can you expect to find unprotected shipping?

The information will show up in the ingame map and wardiary. Of course, this information will only be given occasionaly and not always reliably. With the newer versions, the amount of info can be adjusted to your liking with a simple slider.

So far, I am quite satisfied that I can now give directions about the places to look for targets, but I think it there is still a lot to be done in terms of balancing the amount of info with all the various campaign mods.

The great thing is that, while people are working on sophisticated new campaign files, we can now use Sh3Gen together with their mods to have an enhanced Sh3 experience.

Download:

Everything you need to run Sh3Gen can be found on my website:

http://www.global-explorer.de/

Current version is 0.5.2 (updated 2006-02-11)

http://www.global-explorer.de/Sh3Gen%20Beta%200.5.2.zip

You need DotNET Framework 1.1 to run this software.
You can download and install DotNET Framework 1.1 from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

Note to users of SH3 Commander 2.4:
There is a well know problem with "Update Personnel File". To fix this, get SH3Cmdr.exe v2.4.1.70.
This file is available from:
http://www.global-explorer.de/SH3Cmdr.zip.
Thanks to Jaeson Jones for providing the fix!

Sh3Cmdr 2.5 contains the fix, so please don't download SH3Cmdr.exe v2.4.1.70 as it will break Sh3Cmdr 2.5.

Beta Test

The only reason this is still ranked as a BETA version, is that it is @work stage and features will be added/removed. The current version is, however, stable and almost completely bug free. I invite everybody from the subsim community to try it out and let me know their opinion. There is still work to be done in terms of balancing, and new ideas might emerge, so I am waiting for feedback.

NOTE: This is not a mod. It is an application that is only analyzing data in Sh3! Except from the savegame you specify, nothing in Silent Hunter 3 will be changed. So no worrying about compatibility with Sh3 mods!!

Has been tested with Sh3 1.4b and Real U-boat 1.45 and balanced for Harbour Traffic 1.47, but should run with other campaign files as well. Any positive/negative report on other, newer campaign files is appreciated, as I can only test what I am playing.

I have also positive reports of users running it flawlessly with GW, and I am pretty confident that it will run with all current campaign mods.

Screenshots

War Diary with Intelligence Report:

The "Holy Grail": BB King George in Scapa Flow:

Warships in the Mediterranean:

Program options:

Sneaking into Dover:

Sinking of a Southampton Cruiser:

Theaters of Operation to simulate historic UBoat campaigns:

——————————————————————————————————————

Preview of v0.6 with Standing Operational Orders (coming soon)

Last edited by GlobalExplorer on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:32 am; edited 28 times in total
Marhkimov

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! This looks promising. Yep
Ducimus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Surprised

This does most certainly look to remove the tedium from patrols. An engaging experience is a good one.
Vonsteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLOODY FANTASTIC.... Downloading now!
It certainly gives you a bit more to do and think about instead of hitting the X button all the time to get to the destination quickly..

Very nice effort
Cdre Gibs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, pity it dont work. Will not install - and yes befor you say it, I have DotNet Frameworks, have had for quite some time and other apps that require it work just fine.

Tis a shame because I think this has a lot of potential, but its a Beta so keep at it Smile
sober

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says there is an unhandled exception

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Sh3Gen2.Database.Campaign.Interpreter.CInterpreter.prime(CGroups Groups)
at Sh3Gen2.Database.Campaign.Interpreter.CInterpreter.Run()
at Sh3Gen2.Database.Campaign.CCampaign.initializeCampaignData()
at Sh3Gen2.Applications.MapGen2.CMapGenerator.Run(String PatrolGrid)
at Sh3Gen2.Applications.MapGen2.CMapGen2.Button_OK_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.
Vonsteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah.... Just installed and got this trying to generate Sad

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: "BBKingGeorgeV" Key being added: "BBKingGeorgeV"
at System.Collections.SortedList.Add(Object key, Object value)
at Sh3Gen2.Foundation.Containers.CSortedCollection.add(Object Item, String Key)
at Sh3Gen2.Database.Campaign.CPeriod.initializeFactions()
at Sh3Gen2.Database.Campaign.CPeriod..ctor(String Key, String Name, Int32 BeginDate, Int32 EndDate)
at Sh3Gen2.Database.CDatabase.GetPeriod(Int32 Date)
at Sh3Gen2.Applications.MapGen2.CMapGenerator.Run(String PatrolGrid)
at Sh3Gen2.Applications.MapGen2.CMapGen2.Button_OK_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Sh3Gen2
Assembly Version: 1.0.2208.7904
Win32 Version: 1.0.2208.7904
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Sh3Gen/Sh3Gen.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.
Noily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalExplorer - A quick question is this designed to be used with a clean install or can it be used with mods Thumbs Up
Skweetis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

note that dotNET 1.1 and 2.0 are exclusive. Programmes written with 1.1, will not work if you only have 2.0 installed.
Tazzie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody got this mod to work yet? :hmm:
Mr.Fleck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its working fine for me.

I'm using Win XP with latest patches, .NET 1.1, SH 3 with RuB 1.45, SH3 Commander and a variation of graphics and sound mods.

The map markings and information are visible. The information in the war diary is not visible. I suspect SH3 Commander is overwriting it or the wrong file is written when SH3 Commander is used.

I like the tool and encourage GlobalExplorer to continue his work.

Cheers
Mr. Fleck
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have issued version 0.1.1 that should fix some of the issues posted here.

To all the people who dowloaded Sh3Gen and got Exception messages as posted by some, this is happens while Sh3Gen is building its database (see FAQ). I have put restrictions on the use of exception handling, because I want to see whats going on. If these problems are handled at runtime, the results of the generation process might be unsatisfactory, without us knowing why.

One thing that Sh3Gen is very good at is showing small inconsistencies in the mods you are using. I have found out some interesting things, for small errors in Harbour Traffic like a Swedish naval base in Izmir and the like. There are also German ships in French harbours at the wrong time and naval bases in CAMPAIGN_RND, though this might be a feature of the milchcow mod.

If you encounter problems and are looking for a solution please:

- post the name of the campaign mod you're using (RuB, HT, IuB, U-Boat War, TeddyBar, ..)
- send me the exact error message like some users already did. It helps me assess the problem greatly.
- send the file sh3gen.log to mail@christian-wendt.org which helps me as well.

@Cdre Gibs: You might have dotNET 2.0 installed. My new version lets you continue the installation, though my dotNET check is not successful. I haven't tried it with dotNET 2.0 yet, but Microsoft says it should be compatible. Also keep in mind that as of now, dotNET 2.0 is still only beta. Please retry with version 0.1.1 and tell me if it worked.

@Vonsteel: Your Roster\Sea contains .cfg files with incorrect ClassNames (looks like you spawned the .cfg of BBRevenge for another unit). This has been fixed in 0.1.1, by using the filename instead of the ClassName in the .cfg file.

@sober: I have included a change in 0.1.1 that might help with your problem, but I am not sure. Please post which campaign mod you're using, and maybe send me the file Sh3Gen.log by email.

@Noily: You can absolutely use it with mods, but right now there are still some problems.

Some info from the updated FAQ, which might help as well with your problems:

Q: Does this require a "clean" install or can I use it with mods?
A: Of course you can use it with mods. The program might however create an error message with some mods, and be unable to successfully generate data. Because the program is designed to read whats there and see what can be made out of the data, you should always give it a try. The worst thing that can happen is that you will not be able to use the program with your particular mods and that the generation process might not be successful, but you can be 100% sure that your Sh3 installation is not harmed.

Q: I am getting exception messages that say a certain item could not be added or a certain object does not exist. Can you explain to me whats going on?
A: These errors usually occur if some of the data in your Sh3 folder is inconsistent (usually if a unit or classname has been used twice) and it is exactly the kind of error that is to be excepted wile Sh3Gen is building its database. Keep in mind that, while the program itself is pretty small, it is analyzing large amounts of text (right now ~ 20 Mb). Usually, this text has been changed my a multitude of mods, and not every small mistake shows up in Sh3. Right now Sh3Gen is designed to be pretty picky about data consistency, because I don't want to get unpredictable results, and I also want to see what went wrong.
Mr.Fleck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GlobalExplorer: Do you use different randomization ranges for enemy and for friendly minefields and sub nets? Since the position of friendly minefields and sub nets should be well known, I suggest either very small positional variations or no variation at all. What do you think?

So long
Mr. Fleck
Marhkimov

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it that SH3Gen is really good at discovering errors which might be present in other mods?

Perhaps it could be used in a secondary measure as a "checking" tool for modders??? :hmm:
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mr.Fleck: Thanks for the thumbs up. You are correct, the mine randomization is a special issue. Right now I am not showing the waypoints of all the mines, but just the waypoint of the OrdnanceUnit. The problem with randomization in ports is, that units might show up on land, but a small randomization would be better. I have put this into valid suggestions.

@Mr.Fleck: I am not using Sh3Commander, but if it is writing into the wardiary as well, you can't have both. But in coming versions it should be absolutely no problem to analyze the wardiary better (right now it also overwrites your sinkings, thats why I said generate at the beginning of a mission, somewhat out of port).

@Marhkimov: To some extent. I guess I could implement a spysat mode that shows all units in a certain timeframe with their internal Ids. You can also find some information in Sh3Gen's debug files. But right now I don't have plans to implement too many nice-to-have's, as there is still much work to be done to improve the current features.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: