Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Sub Command vs Dangerous waters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Sub Command vs Dangerous waters Reply with quote

Am I better off tyring to lean Sub Comand first then move up to DW, I have both, if all I'm really interested in is Submarine operation...........I'm having a problem with the learning curve
Konovalov

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I am yet to play DW. I played SC thoroughly over a few years with some mods. But if you have both games I would just go immediately to DW and not bother with SC.
DeepSixNiner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If commanding a nuclear attack submarine is your only true interest, and driving an ASW frigate or P-3 Orion is not your bag, then I would recommend you stick with Sub Command. I believe it to be a far more realistic sub simulation, and with the fantastic mods and updates, you have the ability to drive just about any submarine in the world, and hunt just about every possible target you can think of. These facts make the Sub Command mission designer virtually limitless in it's scope.

I play both, but when I play DW, it's because I want to hunt subs with an Orion or a Perry class frigate. If I want to drive a sub, I load up Sub Command without hesitation.

Cheers.
mike_espo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have DW. I am thinking about getting sub command. I love to drive subs...both nukes and diesels. Very Happy I like DW, but am a little disapointed in some sonar aspects of the sim.... TMA seems way too easy for one. Lack of layer for another. :down:

Does SC improve on these areas? Also, would love to drive a foxtrot or an Alfa..... :know:
DeepSixNiner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub Command far more accuratley simulates all aspects of submarine control, especially sonar. Thermal layers, convergence zones, and detection abilities are all simulated very well, especially with the SCX updates.

And with SCX and SCU, you have the ability to drive not only an Alfa, but just about every nuclear attack sub in the world, and a few conventional ones as well. Not sure if the Foxtrot is included in the SCU package, but you can command a Kilo and a Tango! The only thing missing from SC is the proper simulation of deisel submarines. You are not limited by battery power in SC, and this cannot be realistically simulated due to the limitations of the sim.

If you enjoy driving subs, there is nothing like Sub Command and SCXII.

Cheers.
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Dangerous Waters (with the latest patch) has the better physics modeling, including better modeling of sonar thermal layers, etc. In my opinion, the only advantage Sub Command has over Dangerous Waters is the SCX mod (which adds many new ships/subs/etc. to SC).
Sea Demon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Nichols wrote:
Actually, Dangerous Waters (with the latest patch) has the better physics modeling, including better modeling of sonar thermal layers, etc. In my opinion, the only advantage Sub Command has over Dangerous Waters is the SCX mod (which adds many new ships/subs/etc. to SC).

Which is precisely why I see DW as the future of this line of simulation. I'm counting on add-ons for the future of DW. I agree with the view that SC is a totally different simulation than DW with the inclusion of so many more assets in game (SCX).

The ability to fight Cold-War scenarios is the greatest reason I choose to keep SC on my machine for now. I love DW, and it is definitely my #1 game right now. But every now and then, I get the urge to go after a Soviet Tango SSN in my U.S. Permit Class SSN. That's why SC remains on my hard-drive.

Sea Demon
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I agree with Sea Demon - I keep trying to give up SCX11c but it keeps sneaking back.
As a 100% bubblehead I cant ignore all those superb scenarios. It aint right.

mike_espo:
Quote:
TMA seems way too easy for one. Does SC improve on these areas?

I still prefer SCs balance of imperfect auto TMA with my manual input supplementing.
The DW auto TMA is god-like, (Cheats?)

Yep DW is numero uno, but there is room for a number two. Thumbs Up
But Patch 1.03 and LwAmi will shortly, I hope, demand my complete focus on DW.
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellman wrote:
Very Happy I agree with Sea Demon - I keep trying to give up SCX11c but it keeps sneaking back.
As a 100% bubblehead I cant ignore all those superb scenarios. It aint right.

Sub Command has never left my hard drive, for the same reasons Bellman and Sea Demon give Yep
mike_espo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys! Very Happy Have a chance to buy SC used for about 5 bucks.

So, in SC diesel boats are not limited by batteries? Too bad, but Ill drive the nukes until DW gets patched! Thumbs Up
sonar732

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike_espo wrote:
I like DW, but am a little disapointed in some sonar aspects of the sim.... Lack of layer for another. :down:

Do you have it updated to 1.03b with LWAM mod? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
mike_espo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonar732 wrote:
mike_espo wrote:
I like DW, but am a little disapointed in some sonar aspects of the sim.... Lack of layer for another. :down:

Do you have it updated to 1.03b with LWAM mod? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

:huh: :huh: :hmm:
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonar732 wrote:
mike_espo wrote:

Even without LWAMI, the 1.03b version brought layers back big time.
mike_espo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Sounds good! Thumbs Up When will non-beta patch 1.03 be available?
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike_espo wrote:
Wow. Sounds good! Thumbs Up When will non-beta patch 1.03 be available?
Feb 7th... ish... Ping
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: