Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Good book on modern naval warfare?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WargamerScott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Good book on modern naval warfare? Reply with quote

Now that I am firmly hooked on Dangerous Waters Very Happy , I would like to read a good fiction book on modern naval warfare. I read (many times) RED STORM RISING and loved it. Are there any similar books out there I should consider? Or is RSR still the best when it comes to modern combat on the high seas?

Thanks!
Herman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try "The War that Never Was", by Michael Palmer. It has many striking similarities to RSR.
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my short list of modern sub warfare novels, in no particular order:

"Typhoon", by Robin White

Any of the 'Silent Service' series by H. Jay Ryker

"Kilo Class" and "Nimitz Class", by Patrick Robinson

"Dangerous Ground", by Larry Bond

"Cold is the Sea", by Edward L. Beach

"To Kill the Potemkin" and "Typhoon", by Mark Joseph (look for these from used book dealers)

"Voyage of the Devilfish" and "Attack of the Seawolf" by Michael DiMercurio (These are DiMercurio's first two sub novels. He's written many more since then, but I only recommend these two. Note: DiMercurio's non-fiction work, "Idiot's Guide to Submarines", is excellent.)

and,

"Hunt for Red October" (of course)
WargamerScott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herman wrote:
Try "The War that Never Was", by Michael Palmer. It has many striking similarities to RSR.

I read that and enjoyed it. The only criticism I have is that at the outset we are told that it is based upon a wargame, but the author never explores that more. I would have found it interesting if he broke from the war story to to explore what happened with the wargame participants as they played. Oh well---I'll leave that for my book. Very Happy
WargamerScott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Nichols wrote:

"To Kill the Potemkin" and "Typhoon", by Mark Joseph (look for these from used book dealers)

"Voyage of the Devilfish" and "Attack of the Seawolf" by Michael DiMercurio (These are DiMercurio's first two sub novels. He's written many more since then, but I only recommend these two. Note: DiMercurio's non-fiction work, "Idiot's Guide to Submarines", is excellent.)

and,

I heard KILO CLASS has been optioned for a movie.

How is DEEP SOUND CHANNEL by Joe Buff?

At the moment, I decided to revist RSR. Don't know if I will stay with it though, as I read it 8 times already!
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WargamerScott wrote:
Bill Nichols wrote:

and,

I heard KILO CLASS has been optioned for a movie.

How is DEEP SOUND CHANNEL by Joe Buff?

At the moment, I decided to revist RSR. Don't know if I will stay with it though, as I read it 8 times already!

Don't forget to try my Red Storm Rising campaign for Dangerous Waters (you can download it from my site).

Re. Joe Buff -- Some people like his books. I didn't put them on my list because I have problems swallowing his precept (America is at war with the neo-Axis coalition of Germany and South Africa). Confused
Oberon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also Hostile Waters....ok...it's not fictional...but it's still a damn good book.
Bill's list just about covers it, although there are a couple of good sub moments in Cauldron and Red Phoenix by Larry Bond.
Haven't read Vortex though so I don't know if there are any sub moments in that.
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oberon wrote:
There's also Hostile Waters....ok...it's not fictional...but it's still a damn good book.

Actually, there's quite a lot of fiction in Hostile Waters Wink

For a more accurate report on the loss of K-219, read this:

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/cno/n87/usw/issue_28/yankee.html
Neptunus Rex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have been mentioned before, but try 'Rising Tide, Untold Story of the Russian Submarines that Fought the Cold War' by Gary E. Weir and Walter J. Boyne, 2003, Penguin Books publishers, Non-fiction.
WargamerScott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oberon wrote:
Bill's list just about covers it, although there are a couple of good sub moments in Cauldron and Red Phoenix by Larry Bond.
Haven't read Vortex though so I don't know if there are any sub moments in that.

I just read that Hostile Waters was purchased for HBO and is going to be a cable movie. Guess I'll just wait for the movie. Very Happy
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WargamerScott wrote:
I just read that Hostile Waters was purchased for HBO and is going to be a cable movie. Guess I'll just wait for the movie. Very Happy
Scott don't panic, but I think you're been transported back to the year 1997! Rotfl
WargamerScott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
WargamerScott wrote:
Scott don't panic, but I think you're been transported back to the year 1997! Rotfl

Wait...I missed the movie by 9 years?!? How did that happen? LOL!

I saw the movie comment in an Amazon review. It didn't mention the date of the movie release! Joking

Anybody see it? How was it?

Speaking of movies, I think I'll watch The Bedford Incident tonight. Great film. Richard Widmark at his best. I think I would like to try and craft a DW scenario using this film one day.
DAB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WargamerScott wrote:
TLAM Strike wrote:
WargamerScott wrote:

I saw the movie comment in an Amazon review. It didn't mention the date of the movie release! Joking

Speaking of movies, I think I'll watch The Bedford Incident tonight. Great film. Richard Widmark at his best. I think I would like to try and craft a DW scenario using this film one day.

Re: Hostile Waters. Lord, that one is in my Video Cassette collection - so thats saying something.

Its a good film, not a thriller or generic submarine film, but it is a very good story about people in these situations - no stereotyping like you get in other films.

Re: Bedford Incident. Go for it, just as long as you don't give away the ending. There should be a law against people / reveiwers posting what happens.

When you first see the end of that film, it makes you jump right out of your skin
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAB wrote:
WargamerScott wrote:
TLAM Strike wrote:
WargamerScott wrote:

Re: Hostile Waters. Lord, that one is in my Video Cassette collection - so thats saying something.

Its a good film, not a thriller or generic submarine film, but it is a very good story about people in these situations - no stereotyping like you get in other films.

Re: Bedford Incident. Go for it, just as long as you don't give away the ending. There should be a law against people / reveiwers posting what happens.

When you first see the end of that film, it makes you jump right out of your skin

Bedford Incident - Read the book, it ends much differently from the movie (better ending IMO). Neutral\
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WargamerScott wrote:
TLAM Strike wrote:
WargamerScott wrote:

I guess you didn't see this on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ERXAY/qid=1136385721/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8698541-5754369?n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: