Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

The Silent Hunter IV (Pacific Campaign) SUGGESTIONS-LIST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: wish list Reply with quote

greywulfe wrote:
How about a descent manual? I'm talking Aces of the Pacific / SWOTL style of the early 90's. Even if you have a special edition that is 20 dollars more, a thick manual chock full of historical information, lots of technical details and a big wall mounted map.

I'd go further.

I'd like the mannual to read like a US Fleet Type Submarine Manual The Janes Combat Sim Mannuals were like that.
TDK1044

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to be able to set the depth of the sub using the number pad. This would allow for more precision than clicking on the dial.
Apeboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coastwatchers.
Takeda Shingen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: wish list Reply with quote

DAB wrote:
greywulfe wrote:
How about a descent manual? I'm talking Aces of the Pacific / SWOTL style of the early 90's. Even if you have a special edition that is 20 dollars more, a thick manual chock full of historical information, lots of technical details and a big wall mounted map.

I'd go further.

I'd like the mannual to read like a US Fleet Type Submarine Manual The Janes Combat Sim Mannuals were like that.

I concur. Those manuals were great.
CedricB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native voice activation similar to DW. (Of course, SHIII could already have that and I just haven't found it.) Nothing finer than giving a whole string of orders verbally and have the game recognize all of them and give read back on all of them.

Destroyer Command X - nuff said
raalst

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: japanese subs for more varied missions Reply with quote

wouldn't it be nice toe be able to wheel out your own
plane from the watertight hanger and attack the panama canal ?

so, maybe putting a giant japanese sub in the game would offer
more campaign possibilities. they also did transport (sneaking
thru US controlled waters). and a few attacks on military
surface ships.

and, how about a japanese mini sub trying to penetrate pearl harbor ?

personally, being able to steer a dutch sub in the pacific would also be nice, but that is definity a niche.

all this on the assumption that different types of subs are
reasonably easy to add to the game...
mwe1967

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, only been playing a couple of weeks but better crew management would be nice and also to increase realism you should have chances of mechanical breakdowns during long cruises and the chance of being swept overboard if you have your guys out on the bridge during storms and high seas. One time I was looking at them on the bridge during a storm and they were all completely submerged in rough seas that went at least a foot over thier heads!

Also I believe they had false contacts in real life when they detected a "biological" (whale or some other marine life) thinking it was a possible enemy.

In addition to fuel, food supply could also be a limiting factor built in to add realism, with the option to limit or ration food to the crew during long patrols at the expense of lower morale and endurance.
oche

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have the TDC SH1 style, so you can enter the data while looking thru the binoculars or periscope for manual targetting, not like the annoying SHIII target data helper.
Trout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 main things:

1) More situations where your boat is damaged (in a minor way)by depth charges. Basically, longer DC attacks with more damage and less death. In SH3 the DC attacks are either trivial or they kill you nearly outright - no in-between. The only reason I no longer play SH3 is because its too easy.

2) A fully modeled 3d interior that doubles as your UI for most functions. Its not enough to model the interior, you have to make people use it. Using hot buttons or keys to command a change in speed, depth or heading is fine, but you should have to look to the gauges in the boat to see your current status. SImilarly, on higher difficulty levels there should be no quick 2d screen for the TDC and torp settings - make people use the 3d version. Follow this logic through and you can imagine playing in a way that rarely interupts your sense of immersion by letting you (or requireing you) to jump to a 2d screen.

So no more "jumping" from station to station. If you want to leave the parascope and look at the plot, hit the plot key and your view point will MOVE (like you are turning and walking) over to the plot.

A 2 second move from one station to the other is really not much less convinient for people than a quick jump. IIRC, both the control room and conning tower in US subs had redundant equipment anyway, so for the captain, everything was pretty close to him.

I think they should also model the ENTIRE sub interior fore and aft. For it not to be just a novelty, they would need to come up with reasons why you would want to walk about the whole boat now and then (maybe to give crew members a morale bonus?, maybe to check the crewmen for visible or audible signs of high or low morale? Maybe to check a compartment log for signs that you should promote people or move them to a different position?)

Trout
Scared Bunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My greatest annoyance: the cyclindrical earth of SH3. Not only is it my wish that a spherical earth be used this time, I also think it would be a great improvement of gameplay:

- there actually being a horizon without having to resort to artificial limiting of vision, i.e. 16 km, or fog.

- accurate travel times for convoys

- accurate distances for all movement. In SH3 for example, the distance between Willemshaven and New York is 1.5 times the real distance (easily checked with google earth). SH3 limits the historical range of WW2 subs operating in the North Atlantic.
Heibges

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Make sure Save Game works perfectly. Corrupted saves occur fairly frequently in SH2 and SH3. This is totally not acceptable.

2. If the captain is going to be renedered, I would rather see him in the 3rd Person Style like Splinter Cell or SOCOM. The ladder climbing and ladder slides in the above mentioned games always makes me think of climbing up to or down from the bridge or conning tower.

3. Dynamic Singleplayer Campaign. This should be a no-brainer, but.....

4. Be able to take over the character model of any crew member, and walk around the ship and perform duties including firing the AA guns. Like in Madden, for instance.

5. Be able to edit the character model of any crew member. Put them in shorts if they are in tropical climbs or weath weather gear if in the cold stormy north atlantic. You should also be able to set Uniform of the Day for a more....uniformed looking crew. Also like in Madden.
Mart!jn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the feeling i'm fighting my own war, it is me alone against the allies.
so,
1) putting wolpacks in the game would be great.
2) Contact between u-boats, so you can send coördinates of an convoy to others and they send you coördinates of convoys they have spotted
3) More depth of the water.
cmdrk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this comment in a different post. Realized it should be here.

Quote:
It has already been mentioned about the crew management using a watch bill system, so the crew can be set up in shifts. Which I hope includes setting stations assignments for battle stations torpedo and gun.

What I haven't seen mentioned is standing watch officer orders. There have been complaints about aircraft kills when using time compression. Watch officers often had orders to dive at first sight of anything remotely like a plane. I wonder how many subs dived to avoid birds. I'm not saying this should be a sure defense. It wasn't in real war, but would be related to watch crew experience to spot the plane and crew effiency in dives.

The AI for this should not be active when in real time. It can be assumed you, as captain, are on watch and you have to make the order.
Also, if standing orders are triggered, time compression should drop to 1x or 2x depending on hazard.

Other ideas for watch orders can be to perform actions for certain situations. For example, the boat can be orderd to dive to periscope depth at sunrise automatically, or when dawn occurs the game goes to real time and a crew's voice calls for the captain's attention.

This will just be an expansion of the game's logic when ships are spotted, with an added twist of automatically initiat
ing certain commands.
neustafa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see equipment braking out at sea. Say one of your main engins blow a head gasket now you eng. dept. has to work round the clock to get your ship back up to 100%

Also set departments on the ship eg Deck, Eng., ops, and so on.

One thing I think that has been missing from all of the SH's is a cook on the boat. I have been on ships in the Coast Guard and the crews morale can be greatly efficted by the ships cook. Now I have never sail on a sub and the boats I was on in the Coast Guard were 110', but the only thing to do on the boat was to stand watch, eat, and sleep. I would think a sub would be the same.
xpz67

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like more different missions, such as rescueing downed aircrew. Dropping off Spies, that sort of thing.

Blowing up ships got boring and I stopped after 17 missions.

JP.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: