Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Release date Q3 2007, what does that imply ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drebbel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Release date Q3 2007, what does that imply ? Reply with quote

Release date Q3 2007, what does that mean ?

In case SHIV would use same engine and is "just" a redone AI, ports, models and units. Then I would think 2 year dev-time is too long, right ?

So could this mean SHIV will not use the SHIII engine but have a brand new engine ?

What is your educated guess or opinion ?
Gizzmoe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Q3 2007 is the fiscal year it could be released between April and June 07. Let´s say they start the project mid January/early February 06, then it´s not really that much time they have to fix the dozens of bugs, add features, rework the AI and improve the graphics engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Takeda Shingen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The release date is a very early estimate and will undoubtedly change between now and completion. Therefore, I would say that the date implies nothing other than giving the delevopment team ample time to work before the community starts crying 'where's the game?!'.
Drebbel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takeda Shingen wrote:
The release date is a very early estimate and will undoubtedly change between now and completion. Therefore, I would say that the date implies nothing other than giving the delevopment team ample time to work before the community starts crying 'where's the game?!'.

Hmm, I would think the release dat is a good indication of the earliest possible dat. I think it is unlikely it will be an earlier date, more likely (as history has learned us) that is will be a later date. A later dat would give them even more time to develop a new engine.

But I must also admit that some time ago a formet dev-team memner told me that the engine is already being used for another game (don't tecall th title) and that it would be good enought for a couple of games more.
benetofski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizzmoe wrote:

Quote:
If Q3 2007 is the fiscal year it could be released between April and June 07

This is probably fairly realistic for the PC release - given the new SH4 project team's potential agenda. However, dont be surprised to see it (or a version of it) appear on other platforms first! Wink
McBeck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that release date and raise it 6 months... :hmm:
But thats for a redone/new engine!
wetwarev7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Release date Q3 2007, what does that imply ? Reply with quote

Drebbel wrote:

It means much wailing and gnashing of teeth.....

2007? How am I supposed to wait that long? Anyone got a extra time machine I can borrow? Ping
Marhkimov

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would dedicate more time to SH3, because waiting impatiently is not fun...

On the otherhand, at least SH3 is fun... I hope. Wink
rik007

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it means that SH-IV is serious for UBI. I do not hope that it means that everything will be done from scratch: research, graphics, engine etc, because then it means no wolfpacks, messy convoys, long wish-lists, halfway development and a release 'as such'.
Safe-Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In case SHIV would use same engine and is "just" a redone AI, ports, models and units. Then I would think 2 year dev-time is too long, right ?

Rolling Eyes You're one of them...

Come on, GTA2 used a different engine than GTA, but was not very innovative.

On the other hand, X-Wing Alliance, believe it or not, uses the same engine as the ancient Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (which in turn has it from an even earlier sim!). OK, so the engine has evolved, but still - do XWA and SWTL have anything in common at all?

Used-again engine does not equal an identical experience. And as for the publishers "giving the developers too much time: You can't give a game long enough time to develop their title. In this day and age of rushed, unpatched games, be glad they're giving the developers all the time they need, not worried.

Furthermore, it means us designers and modders can pretty much jump into the game and be familiar with it.

And why make a new engine if the old one works? Hm?

That'd be all.

Quote:
However, dont be surprised to see it (or a version of it) appear on other platforms first!

Controlling all of SH with the few keys of a console controller? Gawd, you're good at thinking up nightmare scenarios, budd' :huh: .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Release date Q3 2007, what does that imply ? Reply with quote

Drebbel wrote:

So could this mean SHIV will not use the SHIII engine but have a brand new engine ?

Same engine, same AI only then with some minor exhance.
New assests, which could be from the pacific theatre. :zzz:

They allready have many dd's and carriers modeled, with some modifications to it they will look almost authentic as from the pacific. :zzz:

After sh3 i'm certainly not interested in another sh title.
I'm rather having bigger hopes for our independent sub sim developers. Yep
simsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, all this Q2 this and Q4 that and 2007 stuff, look on the bright side, by the time the game comes out most of us will need to drop another $1500.00 on a game that will cost $50-60.00 because our current CPU's and vid cards wont be able to keep up with the graphics.

WooHoo, another PC build Thumbs Up
Brentano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that SH4 will use a new engine.
Immacolata

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brentano wrote:
I suspect that SH4 will use a new engine.

I hope you are wrong.
JU_88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im betting on the same engine with some graphical tweaks and hope fully alot of AI fixes.

I think they will try and do something clever for SH4, maybe it will have multiple sides playable or mutiple unit types (sub/ surface/ air like DW), or maybe DC built in or.... or something

god knows but if it was just a PTO sub sim with Yank subs all made on SH3s engine, its unlikey it would take the best part of 2 years to deliver, I think they have something bigger and more ambitious planned than just another subsim.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: