Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

The Silent Hunter IV (Pacific Campaign) WISH-LIST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CB..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's allways worth re-iterating the desire for fully implemented wolfpacks--it may well be that as pointed out- that the devs allreadys know folks in general want these things but this hasn't prevented them from releasing games without any genuine attempt to implement good AI wolfpacks in the past---in fact there hasn't been working wolfpacks since AOTD really which tells a tale--

i reckon really well implemented wolfpacks are one of the features for single play that would attract new players and keep them interested for longer---ie those not normally interested in subsims generaly--

as they are exciting unpredictable and a genuinely relevant and vibrant gameplay element--

given a full and heavily worked implementation wolfpacks and or solitary AI subs would add enourmously to the appeal of the game--

in SH3 we have a system of contacts reports--
if for example in SH4 we only recieved contact reports if an actual AI submarine had in fact located a convoy and transmitted the report this would greatly add to the atmosphere---
especailly if this submarine was named as ie- U-123 for example--
and it was possible to look up who was commanding that submarine and which flottilla he was based in--(or this info was displayed on the map or given in the message)

each flottilla has a realistic number of submarines to send out and contact reports are only recieved if one or more of those subs makes contact--

if one of those subs is attacked and sunk then you will stand less chance of recieving contact reports (there being one less sub roaming the ocean)

you will allso recieve notice that U-123 has not returned from it's patrol and is listed missing-- and so on--

new subs and commanders becoming available in a realistic manner over time--

this approach even without actual wolfpack attacks would add an element of genuine roleplay and a tactical dynamic which would give a sense of a war being fought and lost at sea---

add in the ability of thes AI subs to actually attack and sink shipping and react to contact reports them selves----heading to wards reported convoys in the same way you as the player will do--would make for immersive and exciting gameplay---knowing the names and commanders of those AI subs and knowing that you as the player are reliant upon them for all your contact reports --(and they on you) creates the sort of scenario that may attract new players without disatisying older ones--

being able to view the patrol results of those AI commanders (at least those in your flottilla anyway) creates a sense of involvement and loyalty for your flotilla and AI comrades--

for the realism options the number of AI subs per flottilla (and there fore chances of getting a steady flow of contact reports etc) could on a slider allowing far more AI subs than realistic for fun players and realistic numbers or less for hard core players--

the problem often with subsims and non enthusiast players is not enougth happens to hold their interest--use-ing AI subs and wolfpacks with abit of thought could be used to "fill in the gaps" in the gameplay and enhance greatly the sense of "realism" and difficulty at the same time---

it would be nice for RPG fans allso to have a brief moment of sadness if U-123 for example--gets sunk--especailly if he provided the contact reports on the convoy you have just attacked and even got one or two ships himself---you could allso find your self tasked with searching for survivors if you are close by--enabling you to rescue a "friend" or fellow flottilla member---or tow or attempt to tow a crippled sub back to base --

lots more than this could be done ----there's more to wolfpacks and AI subs than just an ego prop for the player or a realism option--

(i know this is Pacific wish list but the same principles apply to AI subs generaly)

generaly speaking again good AI routines are the backbone of sims really----even a half baked generic first person shooter can be transformed to legendary heights by the time spent on coding the AI behaviour--an excellent game with poor AI is allways going to suffer---beacuse it quickly becomes apparent that the AI IS THE GAME--should be bl**ding obviuos really--i know the old argument regarding the fear of making the AI too good --but Chess programs have solved this issue an age ago---simply instruct the AI to make mistakes--as they do with chess computers---or give them dodgy sensors---make the AI as human as possible---(that's what it's suppossed to be simulating after all) and in a subsim the tussle between you and the DD's is at least 60% of the gameplay--if that becomes predictable it becomes tedious--the more life the AI has both friendly and enemy the more fun the game will be--
bring those Ai sub/DD commanders to life give them character and relvance to the game and player---make them breath some soul into events--make the player care about them--etc---

it is only a game at the end of the day but if you don't care about it then what's the sense--

and dang it allso bowt time subsims got flightsim quality weather and sky scapes--
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock

I would like to see;

1. Crew populating enemy ships, abandoning ship when its sinking, swimming in the water after it sinks and floating casualties above and below the surface after a sinking.

2. More ship debris that is also more persistent after a sinking.

3. Some underwater terrain details (mountain ranges, vegetation, coral formations, or even old shipwrecks occasionally would break up the boring flat sandy bottom in SH3)

4. No instant death when sunk and being able to watch your sub sink/break up after it does sink. Or at least see this in the event of a castostropic kill being suffered.

5. Missions that dont involve going to a grid and waiting for 24 hours to elapse so that you can get down to really hunting the enemy. Being able to have a follow-on mission that results from activities in the area would make a player feel more involved with the war.

6. More detailed ports with sea traffic for all sides. Something to do once you manage to sneak into the enemy port would be nice.

7. Refueling/rearming ships (aka Milk cows), enemy and friendly subs to fight or communicate with (even if the communication were just basic). These dont have to be wolfpacks, I personally dont care about that, but having another friendly sub (you can communicate with) nearby help with an attack would be a refreshing change every once in awhile.

8. More realistic ship sinkings (ex: a ship sinks aft first and the bow breaks off above the water from the stress, a ship rolls over and explodes, etc) and no "bouncing" on the flat sandy bottom when they do sink.

9. More realistic fire/smoke (w/o modding), and secondary explosions.

10. More interaction with the interior of the sub if thats what the player wants to do. More to do in the sub rather than just compress time if you want a more realistic patrol. The ability to improve crew efficiency through battle drills while at sea would be cool and at the same time, not something a player would HAVE to do if they didnt want to.

11. A default watch system that can be modified by the player if desired to eliminate crew micromanagement.

12. A renown system that focused on your contribution as a warship to the war effort rather than just tonnage alone. Sinking a carrier would be worth 20 merchants I would think. Rescue of downed pilots, retreving special forces performing missions on Japanese held islands (mine clearing, etc) should also count towards renown. Not just going to and sitting in your assigned grid for 24 hours to get points.
VON_CAPO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indispensable!!!!
Type XIV "MILK COW"
And associated missions for them.

Also a AI coordination for wolfpacks in single player and campaign. Yep Yep Yep

The Luftwaffe must explore the ocean too.

Fluid communication by radio (with ability by the AI to answer something intelligent, not non sense phrases like now), the morse code BACK!!!

A accurate map with the current deep.

Get lost in the ocean because my navigator can not see the sun and the stars when it is stormy. Yep Yep Yep

A device to transmit light signals.

A pistol to fire flares.

SNOW and ice in winter!!!

Life boats, debris and survivors swimming. With the capacity to fire flares when they spot some vessel.

I want that the rain snow and smoke match the direction and intensity of the wind.

Big warships should engage in a fight beyond the horizon. It is not real at all the 8 km limit.

Ability to fill independent ballast tanks and fine regulation of the dive planes.

Ability to choose when I want to use diesels or electric engines.

A realistic damage control, because the current repair stuff to the light speed.

A watch officer and company awaken, because the current is blind, deaf and may be in drugs and drunk.

The possibility to finish my 1945's patrol in some Argentinian harbour. Somebody should be there to hand over my boot.

Traffic in the southern oceans too.
CB..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VON_CAPO wrote:
Indispensable!!!!
Type XIV "MILK COW"
And associated missions for them.

Ability to fill independent ballast tanks and fine regulation of the dive planes.

A realistic damage control, because the current repair stuff to the light speed.

i agree!! minelayers allso--folks really like their harbour penetration missions----with a minelayer they can have as many as they like (with a twist) and it remains actually relatively realistic---

i'd really like to see some sort of simple manual ballast tank management---(it cannot be more complicated than manually working out a firing soloution for the torps for hecks sake--tho what it's like real world i wouldn't like to guess of course lol)
but three simple slider bars one for each ballast tank allowing you to fill or empty them as required would allow for quick and relatively easy trim corrections diving surfacing etc etc--and would i'm sure be very satisfying all round to use once you got used to it--dunno about the realism thing ( i get fed up of realism "issues" any way) as your a commander and wouldn't have to operate the ballast your self ( :zzz: ) but a simplified system would just be interesting and fun---(yay!!! i remember fun- i read about it once Argh ) there's so little to actually do in a ww2 subsim and so much time to do it in that any immersive fun element would add to the fun of the game---during DD attacks and evasion , manualy operating the ballast tanks (with a simple set up like three sliders as mentioned - or similar i dunno lol) would add interest to the thing--

agree on the damage control system too-- there's a world of fun to be had there ---i can't see any reason why this couldn't become a major part of the gameplay (it certainly OUGHT to be a major part of the gameplay!!!)
i can't see why this couldn't be expanded to allmost a "mini game" status in itself--give the player some activity to perform--even if it's only moving to a valve and struggling to tighten it up to slow the flooding etc--what ever is done with it--it certainly is a whole world in it self that's allways completely neglected--do we have any spare light bulbs or do we have to continue on in complete darkness lol---ahem---oh heck i remember a commander is exempt from light bulb realism lol--
the worlds your oyster for gameplay opportunitys there i reckon (with a bit of imagination)

i'd allso like to see a advanced RPG element incorporated by including the officers mess in the available sub compartments---enabling the player to sit with his officers during meal times and talk with them--a simple old fashioned RPG/adventure game semi-dynamic conversation system would allow you to build up a picture of who your officers are and how they feel think about things--(very old hat code wise and not difficult to include AFAIK)..
come on Devs ---have some fun with the thing--
TDK1044

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to be able to set the depth of the sub using the number pad. This would allow for more precision than clicking on the dial.
Harry Buttle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an ability to move more than one sailor at a time, ie draw a box around them or hold down the CTRL key and click on several, then click where you want them to go.
Tom Jefferson Jones

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cdre Gibs wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how many ppl never read ALL of some1's post. They see a few lines that get them upset or disagree with and then go off.

I ask you, with todays PC's (and keep in mind that by the time this game comes out more advances in PC tech WILL have taken place), is there any need to limit a game to 2 sides only that a player can use or just 1 side (in the case of SH3/4) ?

Or is there any need to limit a player to the type of Units a player can use in that given side ?

The answer is of course NO. So why should we accept such a limiting factor ?

You're not talking about technology you're talking about content - all the technological advances in the world aren't going to make it easier for the SH4 team to implement multiple playable navies,

Its a much better idea to concentrate on a single playable faction and execute it with depth and detail - creating two playable factions while maintaining immersion and historical detail would be a task we can't expect any reasonably sized dev team to accomplish.

Faster computers make for better water, better AI, and more populated oceans and harbors - they don't automatically allow you to make battlecruiser 3000AD style 'lets simulate EVERYTHING' type products.

If anything better computers make additional content *more* difficult to implement due to the sheer amount of texturing, V.O. and gameplay mechanics present in a contemporary sim.

You're asking the SH4 team to make 2 games. Are you really sure 1 wouldn't be enough?
canimo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A QUICK RELOAD IS A MUST !!!

There´s no point on having to save / exit / reload the same game again just cause you have messed a sneaky attack on a convoy !!

It takes hours !!! :down:
Harry Buttle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Jefferson Jones wrote:

Faster computers make for better water, better AI, and more populated oceans and harbors - they don't automatically allow you to make battlecruiser 3000AD style 'lets simulate EVERYTHING' type products.

an excellent point, and well made.

I would just add, have a good look at the reviews of BC3000 and tell me that you want to see SHIV done that badly.
Dave Kay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but historically speaking, I just can't get enthused about a Pacific sub game because I believe it would tend to become quite boring. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the US sub fleet attack mainly Japanese merchants? Supply ships? I mean, encounters between the Japanese Imperial Navy and US subs was historically nil. And for another realistic/historic aspect; these same US subs travelled loooooong lonely distances just to accomplish that... even the Jap subs rarely engaged US warships.

The Pacific theater was a fast moving, aircraft dominated type of exchange and compared to the North Atlantic, subs played a relatively small part. Carriers were the deciding factor in the Pacific.

Love SHIII but I've always thought it was historically incomplete because the Devs neglected the most important and decisive development of the Atlantic sea-war---- WOLFPACKS!

And I digress...
LukeFF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Kay wrote:
The Pacific theater was a fast moving, aircraft dominated type of exchange and compared to the North Atlantic, subs played a relatively small part. Carriers were the deciding factor in the Pacific.

You really can't be serious when you say that. American subs alone, though they counted for about 3% of the Navy's warships, sank about half of the Japanese merchant fleet.

Yep, really small part them subs played. Rolling Eyes
Drebbel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep most wish lists in one place I copy and pasted Safe-Keeper his wish list down here:

SafeKeeper wrote:
Suggestions for future SILENT HUNTER III patches.

Will add illustrations shortly.

• A way to quickly set time compression to 1 or 1024. For example:
o Shift+NumPad -: Sets time compression to 1.
o Shift+NumPad +: Sets time compression to 1024.

• The “are you sure?” window should only be shown when you’ve actually made a change. For example, if you enter the Realism settings screen and leave it without changing anything, I don’t believe there’s a reason for the “Are you sure” window to be shown. Likewise, if you’re ordering a part or crewman for your u-boat and you either already have it or can’t afford it, it doesn’t matter if you are sure you want it or not. In my opinion, you should simply see “Not enough renown” or “You already have it!” – there’s no reason to confirm a choice you can’t make in the first place.

• When you reach your grid, a note is scribbled on your note pad showing how long you need to patrol it to accomplish your objective:

• An option is added that lets you label the marks placed on the map:

• Two types of marks are included: A ”high-priority mark” as well as a ”normal mark”. ”High-priority marks” are not removed by the ”Clear Map” feature, and would be useful for putting down marks you might want to stay for the whole mission – for example, I might want to label the grid zone I’m ordered to patrol so that I won’t have to look it up again in the objectives screen if I forget it.

• Macro support, although that’s probably too late to build in now. For example, let’s say you want a quick way to se Particle Density to 0 during a high-lag phase of the game. Start a macro recording, go into options and set the density to 0, and save the macro. Assign it to a new icon (concept shot below) or hot key, and you’ve got yourself a new short cut.

• A ”captain’s note book” where you can scribble down whatever you need to remember. Your notes are labelled by time and date and remain for the rest of your career. Not that important, but it would be useful and fun at times.

• A hot key to let you cycle trough radio messages while in the message record (‘m’ key).

• The ability to pre-program courses for the crew to follow, for then to use them in-game whenever you want to. As long as a course has been “verified” (ie. You’ve run trough it once without running aground), you can use it later without time compression being locked to 1:1 while in shallow waters (which gets annoying when exiting certain ports).

• Actual destinations for all freighter traffic. As it is, they seem to be moving around without a visible purpose. I’d love it if you saw them dock, stay in port for a while, and then leave again for another port.

• “Collision courses” for warships of different nations, so that for example British and German warships actually meet each others and exchange fire.

• Radio message shown when friendly aircraft are en-route to a target within your line of sight. Something like “air support on the way”.

• Some sort of “Hall of Fame” showing all careers ever undertaken by every single profile, showing things like total renown for all patrols, total tonnage sunk, types of ships and aircraft destroyed, total number of crewmen injured and dead, average realism setting, etc.

• Each realism setting has a percentage value next to it showing how much the realism value is altered by checking the check-boxes. Example:

• A “match speed with target” order. It’s hard to stay in formation with a friendly freighter you’re providing AA defence for when you move at eight knots and it moves at six knots.

• A “follow target” order that makes your sub maintain your present distance to the target. Useful when escorting freighters or when following a commerce raider into action.

• When selecting friendly (blue) ships, you see lines going from them to their way points, showing where they’re headed.

• Renown given for protecting friendly ships (staying near a friendly merchant far from your home port for an extended period of time, for example).

• If you hit Num-Pad Delete to remove the game’s UI and then access the navigation map, there’s a big gray empty area in the bottom of the screen (as shown below). Can it perhaps be filled by something?

• An option to “disengage from target”, allowing you to go to the map screen and increase time compression to more than 32 even if a ship is within your sight.

• Can you add a way to put torpedoes “on safety”? Sometimes when trying to hit NumPad + I accidentaly hit NumPad Enter instead, which causes the ****ed torpedo to fire itself. One shot wasted, one angry player. At least disable torpedo firing on time compression values of more than 32.

• If there’s only one target available for a torpedo attack, can’t the weapon officer “lock onto it” automatically? I’m tired of lining up a target perfectly and then having the whole thing go down the drain because my torpedoes “do their own thing”.
Yes, I know the last two are the results of my clumsiness, not of the game itself. Bah.

• Add a note in the sub management screen explaining what those numbers next to the torpedoes are:

• Some notes about the flotillas at the Apply for Transfer screen:

• Your experience is shown during a career, including how much more experience you need to be promoted.

• A tool-tip description of each qualification and medal. For example, “the war badge is given when so and so” and “the medic does this and that”.

• I was attacked by fighters the other day and several of my crewmen were wounded. However, upon return to dock they didn’t get the Wound Badge. I believe this is because they were healed before they got back to port. Shouldn’t everyone who gets wounded get a Wound Badge?

• When assigning a promotion, qualification, or medal, can’t you make it so that you only have to choose the crewman and then double-click the thing to give him? It’s not exactly hard labour to drag-and-drop a medal onto the description of your crewmen, but it’d be more convenient that way.

• An option to change the game’s colour tones to “sepia” (brown tones) or grey-scale, and to add or remove noise.
Safe-Keeper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best one is ironically the one I didn't post myself: The game plotting courses from Point A to Point B for you.

It's in every single RTS game out there, so why not for SH IV, even though you're only controlling one sub, not a whole fleet of them?

Saving courses would be so sweet, too. Imagine having plotted an elaborate course from Wilhelmshaven to the west coast of Ireland. Then, when you reach Scapa Flow, you get a report on a task force north of you. So you save the course as "Preset1", clear it, and plot an interception course to the task force. After surviving the task force encounter, you load "Preset1", check to see if it needs correcting to avoid landmasses, and sit back. Same with targets an target info: Let's say you're attacking a convoy and have 95% of the information needed to torpedo a T3 Tanker. Then, suddenly, you notice a destroyer that can be torpedoed if you act really fast. You save the T3 info as "T3", clear the notepad, gather info on and sink the destroyer, and load up "T3", finishing the notepad info gathering and torpedoing it, too.

But by all means, let's stick to the things listed so far. Random other suggestions are for the wish-list threads.

And just as a side note, Battlecruiser Millenium Gold Edition was sweet. Tragically, my dog bit the disk in two and I haven't found another copy in stores yet (and no, I'm not illegally downloading a copy Argh !).

But yes, I'd love that. Every ship in the sea had an agenda beyond just going from Point A to Point B and vanishing in thin air once it reached Point B. I'd love for every ship generated to actually have a task to perform. For example, let's say the game generates a tanker in Sydney, Australia. The tanker's job is to ship oil to New Zealand (don't bug me with historical correctness here, I'm just making things up Razz ). So it sits still at a pier in Sydney for a day (if the port is full, it either waits for a spot or docks on the outside of an already docked ship), after which it has its cargo changed to "Oil", making it more volatile (and also weighting it down so that it sits lower in the water and is slower, which is noticeable to the player), and it either sets off for NZ straight away, or waits with other ships bound for NZ until warships are made available, then forms an escorted convoy and heads out. Once at NZ, it unloads its oil (animations aren't needed for this, I guess) and sets back for Australia. If it's damaged, it's parked in a dry dock or something.

New ships are generated every time you start a patrol, and if they start thinning out during a mission, new ones "spawn" where the player can't see them (I hate seeing ships pop out of nowhere and Disapparating without a trace - this is Silent Hunter IV, not Harry Potter and the Gato Sub Skipper of Azkaban).

I don't need variables for amount of fuel and other supplies at port, seamen in each navy, etc. like there was in BCM (you could actually starve out a space station by destroying all the freighters going to it! Very Happy ), but have each ship have a purpose in life beyond getting somewhere and then disappearing. Neutral\
giganoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, many of the things mentioned before are what I want, but just some ideas.

Don't make a new engine, I don't care if SHIV looks only a tiny bit better than III. Eye candy is not important to me, I want content. Less time working on the engine means more content, in theory anyway I hope!

As people have mentioned, SHIII campaign got really boring, but due to the nature of the war, it is understandable. Better crew management (fatigue!) would also make things easier which I'm sure they will work on.

So, diverse missions would be nice. Orders based off of ULTRAJapan intercepts might be nice for US side. Downed flyers... well both sides uses their subs for this, but I don't know how fun it would be. If Japan is included, transport/evacuation missions with reduced torpedeos and avoiding ASW might prove to be hair raising missions.

Reason I wanted only minor engine improvements is to be able to include Japan. I wouldn't mind it being like Pacific Fighters as some people have mentioned. Just adding the KD6/KD7 and RO-35 class would be enough for me.

But, this is a wish list after all, so hopefully at least mods can come out with a released SDK
Joe S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the following
1) a mission builder like the one we had in the original Silent Hunter, where you can control date, time, emeny AI, composition of opposing forces, etc.
2) abilitly to drop map notes as in SHII
3)more usefull reports from soundman
4) ability to see the enemy at realistic distance, including smoke on the horizon, masts over the horizon,etc, for realistic tracking .
5) Forget the crew management
6)sunset,sunrise moonrise,info available onboard, as in Silent Hunter
7)Accuratly modeld TDC with correct manual fire control
CoolA target book with indexes like the one in Silent Hunter so you can find what you want without paging through the whole book, Better yet , a printed TArget manual
9)more sound effects and better sound effects, including audio reports from crew
10)more meaningfull radio traffic
11)ability to "mark" a target on the map which will show the target ID and time of observation, similating the work of the fire control party
12)instruments that are legible
Thats all I can think of right now, Joe S
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: