Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

How demanding is Pirates! graphically?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Pirates!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: How demanding is Pirates! graphically? Reply with quote

I used to play the old Pirates Gold, and wandered into this forum and discovered that there had been a Pirates remake. I want to go run out and buy it, but I wonder if my 64mb onboard video card can handle it? How scaleable are the graphics options? I don't have a problem with cranking graphics settings to the lowest point, BTW. Smile

Running a PIV 2.2 Ghz
1 gig of RAM
and the dreaded Intel Graphics Controller...

Thanks,
PD
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a little research and it seems like a no go as my card doesn't support TnL. Ah well. Sad

PD
tycho102

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The open ocean is pretty easy on the card. It's the dancing, sword-fighting, and land battles that really pull the frame rate down.

Check this out.

You can buy a 9800se for $77, do the driver/bios mod to enable the extra pipelines and bump the voltage up. Take the heatsink off, put some Arctic Silver 5 on there, put some small BGA ram heatsinks on the memory ($5), and run the game really well. The mechanical mods are very easy to do, and as long as you keep yourself grounded, it's difficult to damage the card. The software mods are very easy, depending on what you want to do. Enabling the extra pipelines involves downloading the right drivers, which are all available at Guru3D.
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tycho102 wrote:
The open ocean is pretty easy on the card. It's the dancing, sword-fighting, and land battles that really pull the frame rate down.

Check this out.

You can buy a 9800se for $77, do the driver/bios mod to enable the extra pipelines and bump the voltage up. Take the heatsink off, put some Arctic Silver 5 on there, put some small BGA ram heatsinks on the memory ($5), and run the game really well. The mechanical mods are very easy to do, and as long as you keep yourself grounded, it's difficult to damage the card. The software mods are very easy, depending on what you want to do. Enabling the extra pipelines involves downloading the right drivers, which are all available at Guru3D.

I wish. Didn't mention that it's a laptop.

PD Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Pirates! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: