Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

My idea for a WW1 sub game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdogghenrikson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: My idea for a WW1 sub game Reply with quote

since rumers are that ubisofts Silent Hunter 4 will be in the pacific. how about asking sonalists (devoloper of Dangerous Waters) to make a WW1 subsim?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My idea for a WW1 sub game Reply with quote

Lol, are you nuts ? Joking

Deamon
Hellcat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ummmmm the SH III dev team has been disbanded so no SH IV in the near future and well sonalyst makes their money by developing simulations which are used by the US government which are then watered down for the general public. There is no money in it for them to develop a sim covering 60 year old technology...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, 90 year old technology. How time flies. But your point still stands. Smile
gdogghenrikson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, I never thought my idea would be laughed at my idea for a ww1 game in the WW1 forum. it's not like this is the DR. phil for pres forum. Rotfl

No, I dont think there is a DR. phil for pres. forum either!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gdogghenrikson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: My idea for a WW1 sub game Reply with quote

Deamon wrote:

Deamon

why am I nuts

Some statistics:
U-boats during WWI: 375
U-boats during WWI: 1153

During 1914-1918 274 U-boats sank about 6.596 merchant ships (12.800.733 tons).

(Temporary data, based on Tarrant/Spindler)

5 most successful U-boats
U 35 224 ships 539.741 tons
U 39 154 ships 404.478 tons
U 38 137 ships 299.985 tons
U 34 121 ships 262.886 tons
U 33 84 ships 229.598 tons

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: My idea for a WW1 sub game Reply with quote

gdogghenrikson wrote:
Deamon wrote:

Deamon

why am I nuts

Some statistics:
U-boats during WWI: 375
U-boats during WWII: 1153

During 1914-1918 274 U-boats sank about 6.596 merchant ships (12.800.733 tons).

(Temporary data, based on Tarrant/Spindler)

5 most successful U-boats
U 35 224 ships 539.741 tons
U 39 154 ships 404.478 tons
U 38 137 ships 299.985 tons
U 34 121 ships 262.886 tons
U 33 84 ships 229.598 tons

I might be wrong but isn't allready a group of people working on a solid wwi uboat simulator? Confused

Or have people totaly no idea where this forum stands for?

Btw, why should SCS make a ww1 game? You like watching boring 2d screens and look at your hydrophone?

Anyway if a commercial developper like ubi or ea would make a ww1 sim, i wouldn't b3 interested in. Joking
Hellcat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooops 60 years! :doh: Was'nt really thinking at the time guys, was stuck in world war 2 mode...

Anyways games are made based on demand and recognition, you'll never see a major developer cover a topic that only a minority of the principal gamers would want to see. This garage game developers are really the communities only hope of seeing unique simulations come to the light of day. Which is why they must work harder and finish their games sooner, for my benefit... Yep

However it still stands that Sonalysts would not make a product unless they can make profit through government sales.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gdogghenrikson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: My idea for a WW1 sub game Reply with quote

2019 wrote:
Btw, why should SCS make a ww1 game? You like watching boring 2d screens and look at your hydrophone

OH you mean like silent hunter 3 where most game play is in map room (you have heard of time compression, haven't you?) :hmm:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Wink
but that becuase there is so little to explore in sh3.
ABBAFAN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish someone would do a game of british subs in the med and the baltic(wwi)or british subs as well as american subs in the pacific(WW2)not just american or german always.i mean noone really remebers those two theatres.
Deamon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My idea for a WW1 sub game Reply with quote

gdogghenrikson wrote:
why am I nuts

Well that was a joke to 50% that's why i placed a joker smily !

The other 50%:

Well, like Hellcat already told it: Sonalysts can effort to make sims only because the government uses them as well for training. As Jamie saide without the extra cash they get from the government the revenue from the gaming sales would be to low and they would get out of the gameing business.

I expect that the gaming market for a WWI sim similar thin if not even thiner.

I think it's rather something for dedicated indis like me.

Making a WWI sim also have great research implications, depending on whitch nations u-boats you want to make. It's easy to get ditailed informations on WWII u-boats, and there is a whole bunch of WWII u-boats of different nations preserved in museums around the world. I guess that is the reason why we see only WWII u-boat sims. For WWI u-boats the situation is totaly different. You will finde not as nearly as much informations as about WWII u-boats. Especialy hard/impossible is it to finde informations on interiour ditails. And now imagine Sonalysts would suddenly want to make a WWI u-boat sim with 3D interiours and FPS style walking inside the sub and abandon their business with the government. They would be nuts to do so Joking

But i'm a lucky bastard in the research regards. And already did something special Smile

And more stuff is to come.

And thanks for the statistics.

Deamon
Deamon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABBAFAN wrote:
i wish someone would do a game of british subs in the med and the baltic(wwi)or british subs as well as american subs in the pacific(WW2)not just american or german always.i mean noone really remebers those two theatres.

Well, actualy i would like to do that. I consider closer brits, K.u.K. and maybe US. But at the current point it's only a distant dream. I can be lucky when i can manage to scratch a productive dedicated team together and manage to make one humbly release with one german u-boat.

Deamon
U-552Erich-Topp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Just happened to notice this forum on WW1 U-boat simulator. The U-boats look great so far with plenty of detail. Anyways this message is for the guys developing the sim. My Grandfather was in WW1 on the German side. He was supposed to fight in the U-boat arm but at the last moment he was sent to the front in 1914 as they needed more infantry there. In 1914 when he had just joined the U-boat arm of the German forces, they lined up all the new recruits and 1/2 of them were sent directly to the front. He lived in Hamburg, Germany. So I hope that when you develop the sim that you include historically what it was like during that time period, so that I can experience what it would have been like for him had he stayed on the U-boats. Thanks, Erich
U-552Erich-Topp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Just a thought to make things maybe a little easier for the designers to get the sim up and running. Is there any way that the SH3 U-boat sim "guts" of the program could be modified to accept the WW1 U-boat sim????. The reason being, the weather, the waves, the ships, etc are quite well done in SH3. How about superimpossing the WW1 subs and ships in the SH3 environment and of course change the date on the clock???? Just a thought.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: