Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Bilge
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captcav

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Bilge Reply with quote

Hey guys, i posted this is the mods section, but just wanted to get your thoughts about the inclusion of working bilges? It's would be such a small feature of the game, but i think personally it add just that little bit more realism to it. Big sea's bilges working over-time to expend all the excess water, the sub guru's probably wouldnt be interested in it, but from on the surface point of view, i'd love to see it!
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly, from a technical standpoint, that's out of the hands of us modders.

Also, since this is a tactical naval warfare simulation, that is out of the scope of the sim.

If SCS was going to include stuff like that, there's all kinds of stuff that would have to come in as well... hmm, I'm thinking about the management controls for the naval reactors. Yikes, imagine having to control the reactor and steam turbine transmission directly every time you change speed? :doh:

So, the short answer, cap, is that it's not likely to happen. Sorry. Confused

Cheers,
David
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:sunny: Hi Cap.
I'm irresistably attracted by a topic called ''Bilge'' (ie rubbish) Laughing

Now expelling detris from the Bilges was claimed to be a ruse emplyed by pinned WW2 sub captains
in the hope of fooling the surf who had depth-charged 'em. that he'd made a kill.

Perhaps others may confirm whether this is true - I supect not because it would be very tempting
to drop another couple of hedgehogs - just to make sure. Confirms to the surf he's got you cold ?
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now expelling detris from the Bilges was claimed to be a ruse emplyed by pinned WW2 sub captains
in the hope of fooling the surf who had depth-charged 'em. that he'd made a kill.

This tactic worked great in Silent Service.

I was also a big fan of surfacing within visual range of destroyers, and then launching torpedos down their throat as they closed the distance. I know that's gamey, but I was like 10 years old, so I figured the simulation was a perfect representation of reality and I didn't even know the meaning of "gamey."

Ah those were the days... Argh
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Getting back to bilges Timmyg00 has some interesting sub interior photos taken on his recent trip.
(Thread linked here) Well worth a look.Yep

The equipment and gear is fascinating to see. There are some shots of the 'head' but its amusing to read
the WC 'operating proceedures' There are about ten operations - turn X knob fully right, drop lever Z,etc...etc..............
I guess you cant just rush things !!

For guys charged with beans and beer - thats a heck of a challenge. Joking
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
Quote:

This tactic worked great in Silent Service.

I was also a big fan of surfacing within visual range of destroyers, and then launching torpedos down their throat as they closed the distance. I know that's gamey, but I was like 10 years old, so I figured the simulation was a perfect representation of reality and I didn't even know the meaning of "gamey."

Ah those were the days... Argh

I never got it to work once! I always had to fight those damn boats, evasion never worked... :doh:
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT - Bilge.

Anyone know where the term the 'head' came from ?

No vulgarity please - but just curious as Google seems uncooperative.

I know I'm going to kick myself but my imagination only takes me as far as a head of water, an anatomical description,
or the need to duck down upon entering a confined compartrment.
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT - Bilge.

A non-too serious question:-
Considering that the space and possibly the weight of foodstuffs and drink on a nuke equates to the
same of the reactor etc. Presumably the waste material (ie soil) is discharged during the voyage or is it
chemicaly processed and stored until return to port ? If the former then one assumes that as the voyage
proceeds the sub becomes lighter providing more options for manouverability.So a high fibre intake processed
by a battery of animal tracts enhances the performance of 21st century 'hangs and dives' ?

I suspect that this ' discharge' concept, might have applied in WW2, but today special chemical or
biological bouy sensors could make this a dangerous technique.
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellman wrote:
OT - Bilge.

Anyone know where the term the 'head' came from ?

No vulgarity please - but just curious as Google seems uncooperative.

Yes, I know. On sailing ships in the age of sail, the 'facilties' for the crew were located on a platform forward of the bow (where the bowsprit mast joins the hull), i.e., at the 'head' of the ship. The waste would drop directly into the sea.

See this:

http://www.stvincent.ac.uk/Heritage/1797/Victory/heads.html
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks Bill.

''Toilets - no more than a seat with a hole above the waves - were to be found right up in the bow (or head) of the ship''

Got to admit I toured Victory a couple of times and missed them. Rolling Eyes Yep

Can you throw any light on the storage v discharge question ?
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellman wrote:
OT - Bilge.

A non-too serious question:-
Considering that the space and possibly the weight of foodstuffs and drink on a nuke equates to the
same of the reactor etc. Presumably the waste material (ie soil) is discharged during the voyage or is it
chemicaly processed and stored until return to port ? If the former then one assumes that as the voyage
proceeds the sub becomes lighter providing more options for manouverability.So a high fibre intake processed
by a battery of animal tracts enhances the performance of 21st century 'hangs and dives' ?

I suspect that this ' discharge' concept, might have applied in WW2, but today special chemical or
biological bouy sensors could make this a dangerous technique.

Sorry, but your logic is flawed.

As food is eaten, digested and excreted onboard a sub, it eventually makes its way to special 'sanitary tanks'. The sanitary tanks are periodically emptied by pumping the waste to sea (the sanitary pump is a -spank me!- to clean if it becomes clogged!). Whenever the sanitary tanks are emptied, the sub does indeed become lighter. However, this means the sub will become more buoyant, which is a no-no.

One of the Diving Officer's most important jobs is to keep the sub in 'neutral trim'. Thus, whenever a sanitary tank is emptied, the Diving Officer compensates by adding an equivalant amount of seawater into the boat's trim tanks. Thus, the sub's total weight remains the same -- there are no 'performance benefits' from a high-fiber diet! Neutral\
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:sunny: Thanks again Bill.

There is no gain as in achieving the 'steady state' water is taken on to maintain trim - as this does not directly
replace the soil and is held in special ballast tanks replacing a volume of air already present. Hence no gain. OK.

For some reason I imagined that a disposable should/would impact on performance.
But hey weapons are disposable so the same principles hold good.

Now if the soil was held in 'drop tanks' an EB would'nt be necessary - drop and soar eh ?
Save your air for a better day !
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Just had a thought possibly that the Mods. may consider.

The General Section is a catch-all for some pretty weird and wild stuff.

Now I dont suggest that "Bilge'' as a topic has attracted any superior debates and the topics (sorry)
have been addressing issues we would rather forget.

But it has a certain rustic appeal as a Heading a home within DW where any topics specificaly related
to naval matters can be discussed.

Forgive me - I am on topic here but 'General' attracts a lot of cr*p. We need a harbour a home for wayward seafarers
where we can yarn about our job.
Laughing I try to convice my wife that thats what it is Wink
Fandango

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellman wrote:
Presumably the waste material (ie soil) is discharged during the voyage or is it
chemicaly processed and stored until return to port ?

The MARPOL (Marine Pollution) Convention has strict prescriptions related to release of wastes and any kind of material/substance that may lead to marine pollution. But this Convention does not apply to naval vessel... :shifty:
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised when Bill confirmed that waste is diposed of in the 'old fashioned' way.
I really thought that in the 21 st century the Seawolf for example would chemicaly convert the waste.
Appart from bio considerations there is a possible risk of detection element here. My guess is that it is treated in ways that
render its traces in the ocean undetectable.
Still think for security, operational flexibility and bio reasons that a kind of 'drop tank' system would be effective.

Off topic - Pity airliners cant find a safer way to deal with frozen urine - many cases of shattered roofs - not very nice :down:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: