Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

OT: fresh pics of U32 (new German U212-A AIP Sub)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U-552Erich-Topp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up I'm impressed, nice subs. Very small subs in size though. Reminds me of the IIA or IID size of subs. Good Hunting, Erich Topp U-552
Kapitan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think a seven scew bladed propellor is used
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ula Jolly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooohman, that boat is just fantastic. The Germans are the only true submarine builders! This is like the XXI all over again Very Happy
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

submarineers wet dream Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stewy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome model Xab - looks very cool (even before your adjustments Smile )
Pigfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Xabb, as always. Thumbs Up Hope to see her in DWX some day.

Been so long I forget - do you still have a cargo ship and LNG?
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it comes even better than it looks so fare. There is something i haven't seen mention any of the sources.

I rocked engineer who knows an u-boat commander of the german navy told to a friend of my that the commander told him that the typ212 is equiped with super cavitating rocked torpedos that can make more than 800 km/h !

He told him about trials and a manouver with typ212 against US Fleet. When i remember right 80% of the participating US Fleet was unihilated before it could strike back.

A maybe not so well know fact is that the germans experiment and develope super cavitating torpedos since WWII !!!

Possible that this information is true.

Have anyone else heared something about it ?

Anyway the 212A must be the ultimate frustration for the surface forces.

Deamon
Smaragdadler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere on the net I read about supercavitation and there was stated that first theoretical thinking and patents about supercavtorps was already done at the end of 19. century.
I have a book about Ohrdruf/Jonastal (the area in Thuringia which is beliefed was one of the places where secret high tech stuff was developed in underground caves and factories at the end of ww2). In this book there is a statement from someone who worked in on of the factories in the area and he told besides other stuff something about a "waterchanel in which were testet these new 'underwaterrockets".

Then I have found this statment:
Quote:
"...The American Supercav and the Russian VA-111 Shkval are both high-speed supercavitating torpedoes, 250 mph class (more recently, there are also the English MK70 SpearFish TL8 and the German Barracuda). ..."
Posted by: tokamak at July 22, 2005 06:16 AM
http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001688.html
AceChilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close the hatch, and torpedo eins, Loss! Very Happy

So everybody saying this boat rocks, but how would it compare to those enourmous American nuclear powered subs? one on one, would this one win? Whats so great about it?
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conventional or AIP submarines have the edge when it comes to quietness (no noisey water pumps for reactors).

the type 212 and 214 were said to be the quietest submarines in the world.

But it doesnt have the advantage of great speed diving deapth or lots and lots of wapons so it is at a disadvantage there.

But id like to sail in one if i had to come up against say the SSN21
Skybird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AceChilla wrote:
Whats so great about it?

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_U212,,00.html

"For starters, it is capable of being underwater for up to three consecutive weeks -- THREE WEEKS!

The secret behind the U212's underwater endurance lies in its air-independent propulsion (AIP) system. Developed by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH (HDW), the U212's AIP system uses a silently operating fuel cell plant. (...) Without a need to snorkel, the AIP system also allows the U212 to operate silently without emitting exhaust heat, reducing detection.

The U212 also uses a state-of-the-art sensory system (...) An integrated DBQS-40 sonar system aboard incorporates the following: a cylindrical array for passive medium-frequency detection; a TAS-3 low-frequency towed array sonar; a FAS-3 flank array sonar for low/medium frequency detection; a passive ranging sonar; a hostile sonar intercept system; and, an active high-frequency mine detection sonar - the STN Atlas Elektronik MOA 3070.

Besides carrying up to 24 sea mines externally, the submarine is armed with the DM2A4 torpedo from STN Atlas Elektronik. The DM2A4 -- aka Seahake Mod 4 -- is an electrically-driven torpedo that has a range of more than 27 nautical miles (50km) and a speed of approximately 50 kts. The DM2A4 uses new, conformal acquisition sonar, featuring 38 staves (152 transducers), which produce pre-formed, wide-angle beams. In addition, the Seahake utilizes a 250kg hexagon/RDT/aluminum high-explosive warhead (equivalent to 460kg of TNT) with magnetic influence and contact fuzes, as well as a wake sensor to improve torpedo counter-countermeasures capabilities.

Additionally, the U212's torpedo launchers have something most other submarines do not have -- a water ram expulsion system. Don't you wish you had one? Whereas the 688 Los Angeles class launches torpedoes using "noisy" compressed air, the Type 212's water ram expulsion system ejects the torpedo from the tube without the launch "transient" associated with using compressed air. In other words, the 212 can fire torpedoes stealthily, reducing the possibility for a counter attack."

Pics:
http://www.pbase.com/vikingspirit/ubootsubmarine

Most important, maybe: 212/214 is easily the most silent sub in the ocean today.
OneShot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a documentation about the 212A class, the Captain of U31 (I think) said they had to abort a test drive where they were to record and check for their own accoustic signature because they couldn't hear it, and thats with barely someone else around to make noise and pretty good sonar conditions. Speaks volumes about the quietness of the sub ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kazuaki Shimazaki II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skybird wrote:
Besides carrying up to 24 sea mines externally, the submarine is armed with the DM2A4 torpedo from STN Atlas Elektronik. The DM2A4 -- aka Seahake Mod 4 -- is an electrically-driven torpedo that has a range of more than 27 nautical miles (50km) and a speed of approximately 50 kts.

Probably at the max range it'd only be making like 20 knots and at max speed it might last only 10km considering the performance of other electric weapons including this one's A3 predecessor. Unlike electronics, this is an engine and fuel source (silver zinc battery) issue - there is no "magic" for revolutionary improvement in such things.

Quote:
Additionally, the U212's torpedo launchers have something most other submarines do not have -- a water ram expulsion system. Don't you wish you had one? Whereas the 688 Los Angeles class launches torpedoes using "noisy" compressed air, the Type 212's water ram expulsion system ejects the torpedo from the tube without the launch "transient" associated with using compressed air. In other words, the 212 can fire torpedoes stealthily, reducing the possibility for a counter attack."

I would have thought water-ramming existed a long time ago because it reduces the use of compressed air at high depth launches?
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut tells me the 212/4 is probably the quietest submarine hull in the world with a slightly subpar (as compared to SSN21 or Virginia) sonar and weps system and the overall performance of a Collins on roids.

But that's just my Benegesserit training and no actual facts speaking...
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sub Par" weapons compaired to the 21 and Va? The 212 isn't even in the ballpark! No TLAMs or VLS tubes on the 212. So thats basicly one whole form of combat the 212s can't do.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: