Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Mod request for more ship types....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 52, 53, 54  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cdre Gibs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scaling of the 8, 11, 15inch Axis Guns.

11inch UVmaped
Warhunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got an allied 31000ts troop transport in production.
sergbuto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG124 wrote:
This is why Iambecomelife and I usually discuss the ships we are working on. We are kitbashing merchants, which is quite different than what you guys are doing, but it would not be good if we were all working on the same ones in some cases (whale factories, for example).

What do you mean by discussing? F.e. in a number of threads, I mentioned about some things I was working on, including Hood. Therefore, info is in principle out there. People do modelling for fun.
AG124

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing elaborate. We usually just post here when we are working on ships, and that way we can keep track of what is going on. For example, I posted pictures of a Lake Ship I was working on and Iambecomelife posted pictures if an Ore Carrier (the Marore). If I wanted to work on an ore carrier, or Iambecomelife wanted to make another Lake Ship that would be OK, but these types of ships were not common so we don't really need more than one type of each yet. So when it is know that these types are already WIP's, we could work on another type.

BTW - Modelling new/kitbashed ships is indeed fun. If I didn't have fun kitbashing, I wouldn't be doing it. But it is also a need to benefit the community as well. If theere were five modellers making five different whale factory ships instead of five completely different types of merchants that might not work out so well. But people here still do have to work on projects which they find to be interesting and enjoyable.
iambecomelife

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris wrote:
Is there an ETA on the release of your ships iambecomelife?

Nope. I think I'm only about 20% of the way there at most. IMO there should be at least a couple dozen medium cargo ships alone - not to mention other types.

I wanted to release the CAM-ship early but I am having problems getting it to spawn Hurricanes when it is attacked. I have had long gun battles with the thing and it never bothers to fly off the aircraft. I've already scripted in a Hurricane flightgroup, like with carriers and the cruisers Sergbuto modded. Not sure what's wrong.
Boris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iambecomelife wrote:
Boris wrote:

Nope. I think I'm only about 20% of the way there at most. IMO there should be at least a couple dozen medium cargo ships alone - not to mention other types.

I wanted to release the CAM-ship early but I am having problems getting it to spawn Hurricanes when it is attacked. I have had long gun battles with the thing and it never bothers to fly off the aircraft. I've already scripted in a Hurricane flightgroup, like with carriers and the cruisers Sergbuto modded. Not sure what's wrong.

At that rate SHIV could be out by the time it's done Wink

If you need any help doing anything I'd be happy to...
Type941

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCIP wrote:
Yea, as much as I'd like a nice model of that Hood in there... let Bismarck sink the Hood, I want my tankers :8Cool

I think any submarine captain would have loved to have a chance at sinking a big mama ship. Besides, where's the glory in sinking a defensless tanker with civilian crew, compared to 50k ton battlecruiser? Neutral\

The WW2 went that way that germans had to attack shipping lines, but I'm sure in other circumstances, taking down capital ships would have been a preferred choice any day. In any case, may be we just need a bit more of medium sized warships, like cruisers. And of course Germany had quite a few notable warships that are missing too.

BTW, those wacky Ore ships and Whale Factories - those rule! Rock
booger2005

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type941 wrote:
CCIP wrote:
Yea, as much as I'd like a nice model of that Hood in there... let Bismarck sink the Hood, I want my tankers :8Cool

I think any submarine captain would have loved to have a chance at sinking a big mama ship.

U-56 ran into Hood, Nelson, and Rodney a short time after the Royal Oak debacle. A spread of torps hit Nelson, I think, but all were duds.

Quote:
Besides, where's the glory in sinking a defensless tanker with civilian crew, compared to 50k ton battlecruiser? Neutral\

The point is simply that your going to see that tanker many dozens of times more than you ever would a capital ship, which, IMHO, makes the tanker worthy of significant effort.

Quote:
The WW2 went that way that germans had to attack shipping lines, but I'm sure in other circumstances, taking down capital ships would have been a preferred choice any day.

Yes, destroying the Royal Navy would have been a prefered choice, but not with U-boats! They were designed for commerce raiding, not thrust into the position by circumstance. The Japanese tried the whole "using a submarine as a warship" thing, and by and large it didn't work. Submarine technology of the 1940s just wasn't suited to the task. Capital ships moved so fast, you have to be in great position to start with and you only got 1 shot. Meanwhile, U-boats could pummel a slow convoy night after night for days. Sure, there are a few notable incidents in history of submarine success against capital ships, from Otto Wedigan right on up to the Indianapolis, but those incidents are rare, and usually involved a combination of luck and incompetence on the enemy's part.

I think it's great that there is work being done on capital ships, I really do. My point is that the major focus of this sim, as it was in real life, is the battle between the U-boat and merchant shipping. Therefore, I am very greatful to those who would work on "some tanker", and IMHO it would be a mistake to abandon the merchant fleet altogether in favor of capital ships.
Boris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree!

The most important additions are more merchants, and small and middle sized one's at that.
There needs to be a much greater diversity in the game's merchants and a balance to bring the tonnages down.
Ships over 7000 tons should be a prize, and capital ships, liners etc... holy grails. Sure these need to be there to be found, but smaller merchants is where its at.
Cdre Gibs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering how many of us shipwrites use 3D SMax? I'm hoping a few do as I need a lil bit of help.

I have just fixed quite a few major bug's I had with my PC (nasty lil left over SP2 issues my PC hated) and in doing so I ummm sorta deleted the "Import/Export how to" tute that Seeadler made a while back (Max was 1 of the programs I had to reinstall). And since my memory aint what it use to be I cant recall the settings. I have tried a few exports, and every time I have had either a CTD or the model in game looks like it came straight from hell. So if any1 else uses Max, pls can you post the Import/Export settings in screen shot format for 3DS Max 6/7 (5 may even do) or sadly I will no longer be able to make any more Ship or Bio Expacks.

Thx
Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some screenshots of my yet unfinished mod
http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=741002#post741002
GlobalExplorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iambecomelife wrote:
Boris wrote:

With all respect, but in that case no one will ever have any benefit from your work. I am following this thread for half a year now and honestly, I have stopped playing ShIII until you release your ships. But holding back release until you have dozens of ships means you will be working on your mod for another year at least.

And it's not like you haven't got something to show. Your 6-10 new ships plus the ones already released by AG124 would mean an increase by more than 100%. Very much worthwile if you ask me.

You got all my encouragement for your work, but if you stick with your plan, I think it's better for people like me to stop following this thread for a very long time. I understand your attention to detail, but I am certainly not excited about mods which get released long after they are needed (in this case when SHIV is there).

Don't think I am criticizing your decision. I just think it's wrong. I have seen myself losing interest in mods when the modders get overambitious, because usually they never get finished, and in this case it's a waste of everyones time.

Anyway, great job.

GE
iambecomelife

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalExplorer wrote:
iambecomelife wrote:
Boris wrote:

With all respect, but in that case no one will ever have any benefit from your work. I am following this thread for half a year now and honestly, I have stopped playing ShIII until you release your ships. But holding back release until you have dozens of ships means you will be working on your mod for another year at least.

And it's not like you haven't got something to show. Your 6-10 new ships plus the ones already released by AG124 would mean an increase by more than 100%. Very much worthwile if you ask me.

You got all my encouragement for your work, but if you stick with your plan, I think it's better for people like me to stop following this thread for a very long time. I understand your attention to detail, but I am certainly not excited about mods which get released long after they are needed (in this case when SHIV is there).

Don't think I am criticizing your decision. I just think it's wrong. I have seen myself losing interest in mods when the modders get overambitious, because usually they never get finished, and in this case it's a waste of everyones time.

Anyway, great job.

GE

I understand how you feel, but I feel pretty strongly myself about offering the best shipping diversity possible. Again, I am going to release some ships as "singles" - including the CAM; the only thing holding me back are spawning problems with the Hurricanes. Also, the pace of modding has increased now that I can use modded ships themselves as parent units - the external 3d modeling work for ships sometimes takes me a single night, as opposed to two weeks. I'm also awaiting the arrival of a new system w/ a much better hard drive and processor - this should improve game performance and make modding go even faster.
Boris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iambecomelife wrote:
GlobalExplorer wrote:
iambecomelife wrote:
Boris wrote:

Anyway, great job.

GE

I understand how you feel, but I feel pretty strongly myself about offering the best shipping diversity possible. Again, I am going to release some ships as "singles" - including the CAM; the only thing holding me back are spawning problems with the Hurricanes. Also, the pace of modding has increased now that I can use modded ships themselves as parent units - the external 3d modeling work for ships sometimes takes me a single night, as opposed to two weeks. I'm also awaiting the arrival of a new system w/ a much better hard drive and processor - this should improve game performance and make modding go even faster.

Excuse my impatience then, but what kind of timeframe are we looking at, weeks, months?
Anything I can do to speed it up, and I'll help.
We're getting swamped with warships at at moment, while being useful addiions, aren't nearly as important as more merchants and are really just novelty items.
I can't wait for all your new ships to breathe some life back into the game.
sergbuto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cdre Gibs wrote:
So if any1 else uses Max, pls can you post the Import/Export settings in screen shot format for 3DS Max 6/7 (5 may even do) or sadly I will no longer be able to make any more Ship or Bio Expacks.

Thx

Here are the settings left from the last time I used 3DS MAX 7. I did not have time to check out them now, though.

One can also un-tick "Normals" when exporting for use of Pack3D.

Last edited by sergbuto on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 53 of 54

Jump to: