Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Mod request for more ship types....
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie901

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Mod request for more ship types.... Reply with quote

I'd love to get some additional ships added to this sim, especially more merchants and maybe a US PT boat.

How about some American Battleships (Texas) anyone???

I've DL'ed Serbugto's wonderful additions but I'm stuck wanting more, bitten by the modding bug.

Anyone working on some additional ships?
Happy Times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your request Surprised
Marhkimov

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least Charlie901 is being honest. Who doesn't want an extra boat-load of ships (no pun intended)???

Those modders are getting closer everyday... I really can't wait either... Rock
AG124

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to see more merchants too, but I don't think there are suitable parts available to make a New York class US battleship. Maybe someone will figure out how to import completely new objects though. Even if this never happens, a lot of progress with new tools has been made (especially over the last week), and I think new ships will be available soon. We just have to be patient.
Wulfmann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much fun as the USS Texas might be (Yes, I have visted that and all the other battleships) I would prefer a bunch of new merchant ships; 500,700 and 1,000 tons and all kinds in between what we now have so a 40 ship convoy does not have but one model of each. A few Brit cruisers, sure and a Vosper instead of the Elco as well as (at least) surfaced Brit sub targets (prefer submergible but don't dare dream too much)
The day to day combat against convoys is where I would prefer the effort be made and not a piece of eye candy I may never ever see. (I have yet to even see the Bismarck, Victorious or a KGV, and caught a glimps of a Nelson once since April playing almost every day) yet I was updating their skins constantly!!! Rotfl

Wulfmann
iambecomelife

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG124 wrote:
I hope to see more merchants too, but I don't think there are suitable parts available to make a New York class US battleship. Maybe someone will figure out how to import completely new objects though. Even if this never happens, a lot of progress with new tools has been made (especially over the last week), and I think new ships will be available soon. We just have to be patient.

I really want to make a "New York" but the midships turret would be a pain. The new cloning tools are effective but they don't allow you to place new nodes (the locations for weapons, searchlights, etc). A better choice would be the "USS Pennsylvania", which has no midship turrets and looks somewhat similar to the "Revenge" class. This will hopefully be a project for me after I get the hang of producing simple changes to the 3d model.
FAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all wanted to see more types of ships and maybe some subs
too but unfortunately the game design isn't going to let us do
much along those lines unless the SDK is released (fat chance)

JIM
AG124

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone made the Pennsylvania class (or Nevada class), some changes would need to be made to the in-game superstructures which are available, and it would be difficult to model the rear tripods (well, I guess it would be). Of course if you were modeling the post-Pearl Harbour Pennsylvania, you wouldn't need a rear tripod at all, and the post-PH Nevada looked completely different after receiving extensive upgrades.

Did the Pennsylvania ever see Atlantic service prior to Pearl Harbour? I have never heard of the Pennsylvania serving in the Atlantic after 1941 either, but it seems possible. The Nevada served in the Atlantic later in the war (for example, at the Normandy invasion) and would be a good ship to add. As for the sister ships of the two class name-ships (Arizona and Oklahoma), I have heard of the Arizona being in the Atlantic prior to the American entry into the war, but nothing of the Oklahoma. Neither ship served in the Atlantic (or anywhere for that matter) after Pearl Harbour, as they were both destroyed.

So I would choose the Nevada class over the Pennsylavinias in terms of usefulness, although the Pennsylvanias would probably be easier to model (and I happen to like that class better anyway). Of course, someday both classes might be added... :hmm:

There aren't many US battleships which could be modeled anyway, due to the lack of suitable-looking parts.
Cdre Gibs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add water Very Happy

AG124

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

I really hope someone figures out how to import these. Cdr Gibbs, got a couple of more to show us?
sergbuto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG124 wrote:
Cdr Gibbs, got a couple of more to show us?

I guess he will soon run out those to show. Wink It is not very many suitable military ships in the Espona/Viewpoint collection and some of those are already in the game. Biber, E-boat, New Jersey, PT boats, Pola, Seehund, Vosper, maybe Jap sub, and that is about it. Some small patrol vessels and a few civil ships can be added as well if of interest. Titanic would be interesting though since its sister ship survived throughout the war.
AG124

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olympic survived until WW2? Every book I've read on the Titanic stated that the Olympic was scrapped in the UK in 1936. I hope not, as she would make an interesting troopship. Surprised

PS - Whatever happened to the Mauratania? (That might not be spelled correctly... Confused ) Another interesting troopship for SH3 someday, if she survived that long.
Flakwalker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Vosper torpedo boat?
iambecomelife

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG124 wrote:
The Olympic survived until WW2? Every book I've read on the Titanic stated that the Olympic was scrapped in the UK in 1936. I hope not, as she would make an interesting troopship. Surprised

PS - Whatever happened to the Mauratania? (That might not be spelled correctly... Confused ) Another interesting troopship for SH3 someday, if she survived that long.

Yep. I don't recall the exact date but she was definitely gone by WWII. The Mauretania served as a troopship during WWI. She survived two U-boat encounters - one because she was still a liner and the sub commander didn't want to kill civilians, and the other (after her transport conversion) by dodging the torpedo. Like the Olympic, she was eventually scrapped after the war. I could be wrong, but by WWII there were probably no four-funneled liners left, and very few three-funnelers.
AG124

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of a few more of those big ocean liners that were scrapped in the 30s (although never any after 1937, when tensions escalated). I bet the British were wishing they had kept a few more of them in reserve or something in 1940-41... Damn Of course they were probably structurally unsound by that time - look what happened to the colliers Nereus and Proteus. The rest of their sister ships were scrapped in the 1930s (except for the vanished Cyclops and the converted-to-carrier Jupiter) but they were sold to Canada in 1941 as bauxite carriers. One of the scrapped sisters, the Jason, had been so rusted, that someone cleaning rust off the hull broke a hole in it with a hammer Surprised . The fact that the Nereus and Proteus both vanished in mildly bad weather doesn't seem to be as big a mystery as some believe it to be :hmm:.

Imagine having rusty ships like that in SH3 - no more "three torpedoes to sink freighter" threads. It would be more like "two shells expended, 19,000 ton cargo and 46,000 ton transport sunk." Very Happy. Or maybe we could just arm our U boat crews with hammers and send them over in a dingy... :8Cool

Anyway, these obsolete and hypothetical ships would be impossible to make with the techniques currently available, even if they were viable. Maybe someday in the future, when someone with the SDK is bored and looking for a novelty ship to make, we'll have the sister of the Titanic and 19,000 freighters that could be sunk with a hammer. For now, I'll look forward to the more vital merchants - speaking of which, if anyone makes any progress, don't hesitate to post. I'm still too DOS illiterate to make any progress myself.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 1 of 54

Jump to: