Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Wishlist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeidos2 wrote:
In the book titled, Submarine Boats, in chapter 15, there's an article written by the XO onboard the U-9 before the war, and shortly after the start of the war. In this article he describes life aboard the early submarines. There's a paragraph where he writes that the submarine had four parrafin engines.

Absolutely never heared of it!

ALL my sources, even thous of the imperial navy state that this were gazoline engines and has never ever mentioned anything about parrafine. I guess that this were rather alternate trials or something.

Quote:
It's implied that he was writting this around 1912. There's a photograph of the U-9 sailing on the surface in a harbor, the photo's caption mentions the thick column of white smoke being due to the fact that the engines were burning parrafin.

But Gazoline do make white smoke as well! Because of this a special gazoline type was developed prior to the war that was smoke free. But was supposed to be used in war only because it was more expensive than the normal gazoline. But Otto Weddingen(U9) seem to have been on patrol once with the normal gazoline, since he mentioned this white smoke trail that concerned him has he patroled in the channel.

Quote:
I got the impression that some of the early, kerosine powered boats experimented with using parrafin as an alternate fuel, but that this was quickly abandoned in favor of switching to diesels.

Kerosine ? Don't you mean gazoline ?

Anyway thats my thought too that there might have been experiments for alternate fuels.

Quote:
After the war, my grandfather was involved in a business venture to sell parrafin powered engines. At the beginning of the venture, the cost of parrafin was about 1/3 that of gasoline. My grandfather spent a few months attaching special carbouraters (sp?) to small 2-stroke engines that allowed the engines to run on melted parrafin instead of gasoline. Just as he finished the last conversion and they were ready to go to market, the price of parrafin shot up to match that of gasoline. The business didn't last long. My grandfather lived in Nova Scotia. One of his brothers was killed at the battle of Vimy Ridge, a step brother lost a leg. A second brother survived 2.5 years in the trenches and wrote several books about his war experiences that were published in Canada.
My grandfather was not allowed to join the service since he was the youngest and sole support for his mom. Sort of a Saving Prvt. Ryan situation in WW1.

That is a hell of a story. Is this where you interst for WWI came from ?

Deamon
Xeidos2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest in WW1 came from reading my grandfather's brother's books, especially the one titled, "Ghost Have Warm Hands." His name is Will R. Bird. The book was recently re-published, and I saw it listed on Amazon.com, but I haven't checked to see if it's still available. It becomes a bit more than just history when you realize the things you're reading in a book actually happened to someone in your family, someone you've actually met.

The other sources of my interest in WW1 came from reading Billy Bishop's auto-biography and seeing the movie, The Blue Max, back when I was in high school.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-4465432-5627865

seems like there are 7 of his books avaible on amazon.
oRGy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deamon;

Speaking of missing 'features', when you read that Diary of a Uboat Commander e-book...

Do you ever get the impression that there's a certain something missing from the game you're planning? Something rather elephant sized, in fact.

Then again, it's hardly in any other games which have the effect of sanitising/glorifying war, either.
JackieFisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deamon ... I think the words "paraffin" and "gasoline" were used almost interchangeably when describing what these early subs ran on. There might have been slight differences in ingredients, but

tone
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oRGy wrote:
Deamon;

Speaking of missing 'features', when you read that Diary of a Uboat Commander e-book...

Do you ever get the impression that there's a certain something missing from the game you're planning? Something rather elephant sized, in fact.

Then again, it's hardly in any other games which have the effect of sanitising/glorifying war, either.

I'm not fully sure what you mean. Sorry english is not my native language.

Deamon
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackieFisher wrote:
Deamon ... I think the words "paraffin" and "gasoline" were used almost interchangeably when describing what these early subs ran on.

I also have the impression that this turms are mixed up. Uboat.net call the petroleum engines, gasoline engines. But gasoline means benzine, what is curtainly wrong. The Imperial German Navy have never used benzine engines cose they like to blow up. In my understanding is paraffin not the same as petroleum but how mutch does it differ actualy if both could be used in the engines ?

Quote:
There might have been slight differences in ingredients, but

tone

But what ?
gdogghenrikson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no starforce
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdogghenrikson wrote:
no starforce

Yep Yep Yep
Redwine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want an ingame working Whiz Wheel....

I made one for SH2 with 3 rotating wheels and one rotating cursor, and i added it to the captain room screen and it works so fine.

No TDC in that age, a whiz wheel or similar was the only way to calculate a shoot.

Thanks for your job !!! Thumbs Up
Deamon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redwine wrote:

You will get it Smile

Quote:
I made one for SH2 with 3 rotating wheels and one rotating cursor, and i added it to the captain room screen and it works so fine.

Have you screen shots of it ?

Quote:
No TDC in that age, a whiz wheel or similar was the only way to calculate a shoot.

Well, there was no TDC at that time, so there will be no in IUF as well. Only the authentical devices will be modeled, which were already researched partialy.

Quote:

Never minde. Visit us again Sir Very Happy

Deamon
Redwine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deamon wrote:
Redwine wrote:

You will get it Smile

Thumbs Up I am very sad and sorry you was not part of the SH3 Dev Team Rotfl Thumbs Up

Deamon wrote:

Quote:

Sadly not, i have not more SH2 installed.
Basically it is a set of 3 big concentric wheels with a cursor, all four movables by the mouse.

You can made all calculation made with the Whiz Wheel, you can obtain target AOB, target Relative Course, target Speed.

You only need a slider ruler to calculate range based on mast height and mast head angle and you need nothing more to calculate a firring solution.

Deamon wrote:

Quote:

Well, there was no TDC at that time, so there will be no in IUF as well. Only the authentical devices will be modeled, which were already researched partialy.

Correct, then you need a ingame or a printed or plastic Whiz Wheel.

If you can add a Whiz Wheel and a Range Slider calculator ruler it will be wonderful !!! Thumbs Up

I have both downloaded from some place time ago, and plus i made one as mod to works inside SH2.

If you want them all i have or made is your to be used at your pleasure.

Subsim Topic :

http://subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=34797&highlight=ingame+whiz+wheel+mod

My Mod : (I modify the wheel to works fine in meters and yards)

http://rapidshare.de/files/12374973/SH2_Ingame_Whiz_Wheel_Mod_V1.0.zip.html

Look at my signature, the link Manual TDC "HTDC Tutorial", it is the use of another of my mods, the Hardcore TDC Mod, where you can see how to make all calculations with no TDC, and even with no Whiz Wheel, completely manual mode.

http://www.iespana.es/rotteufel/htdc_tutorial/a_start.htm

Follow the links on the second page. (you have a some small page thumbnails at botom for quick navigation)
If you have this tutorial i can send it to you in HTML to navigate it in your Hard Drive, that site is so slow to navigate.

Pack of Wheels and Calculator Rulers :

http://rapidshare.de/files/12410567/Pack.zip.html

I have many .pdf files if you want them.

Quote:

Never minde. Visit us again Sir Very Happy

Deamon[/quote]

Just let me to know if need more as my .pdf files for be used in Photoshop.

I have many templates.

Thumbs Up thanks for your job and go ahead.

PD : when do you spect to release your WW1 sim ?
Redwine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deamon wrote:

Quote:

Deamon

I found this old screen shot in one of my storages.

I modify it with some marks to be used as well in meters or yards thinking in a pacific version of the game but never was introduced into Pacific Aces Mod ....... boys dont want to make math calculations Rotfl

The girl is not included, is from another mod i made called "Comisario Politico" in english may be "Political Marshall" or some thing..... the political guard onboard.

Thumbs Up

Last edited by Redwine on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:30 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The girl is not included, is from another mod i made called "Comisario Politico" in english may be "Political Marshall" or some thing..... the political guard onboard.

Rotfl

I wish i had these too on my sub.
hmm, perhaps an idea for a eater egg.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Redwine.

that hot girl, did you painted her yourself?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: