Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

WW1 color photo's
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: WW1 color photo's Reply with quote

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35524&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely Awesome!!!!

i wonder how close to the actual color they come... it looks quite real to me, but then again...

again... Great link... THANKS

--Mike
Deamon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome stuff. Would be good to make some u-boat images colorfull to better see it's painting sheme.

Deamon
Oesten

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear God, those really bring WWI to life. Suddenly WWI seems a lot more like a real war to me than it did before....instead of just a mere intellectual pastime.

I remember some of the horrific black and white photos I've seen, of rotting corpses and skeletons in trenches. Now after seeing the colour pictures in that link, I can imagine the b&w ones in colour, and it makes them far more real, and far more horrible in my mind.
Seaboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWII was the the second act. It all started in WWI. (WWII was WWI reloaded)

Those were indeed fantastic photos. I've always been very interested in the forts, such as those around Verdun. Back in 94 I recreated Douaumont and Fort Vaux to scale for the DOOM player - as best as possible seeing that the DOOM engine was not true 3d.

"in 1916 over 22 million shells were fired on the 15 forts defending the city"

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWdouaumont.htm

Douaumont was captured by the Germans largely by the exploits of Sergeant Kunze and his ten men - who more or less just walked in.
But when the French later took it back, "It is estimated than more than 100,000 French soldiers fell in the attempts to recapture Fort Douaumont." http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/fort_douaumont.htm

think of it...almost as many men fell as America lost in Vietnam X 2, just trying to take back one fort.
Deamon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one bloody battle. It's crazy how many man died for a little advancment.

Hey Seaboy do you ever check your PM's ?

Deamon
Seaboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the PM and sent an answer. Let me know what you need.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Seaboy

Quote:
Back in 94 I recreated Douaumont and Fort Vaux to scale for the DOOM player - as best as possible seeing that the DOOM engine was not true 3d.

I've also saw your menus made for sh2.
Nice work.
You must be a artistic person, right?

Do you have more graphics work?
Razman23

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deamon wrote:
That was one bloody battle. It's crazy how many man died for a little advancment.

You can blame most of it on the hard headed generals and their use of 19th century tatics in a 20th century war.

Afterall, how many times does it take before they realize that a massive infantry charge against machine gun and artillery just doesnt work.

BTW, hows your sim coming along?
Seaboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2019 - no I am not really. All I did with the SH2 was cut and paste from sources on the net, and then only for myself (I never intended to put the SH2 WWI mod out to the public). The only art I ever did was for rather primitive games made back in the early 90s, when a simple paintshow was the name of the game. I helped program a simple 2d game called 'Shurrupak' back in 92-93 - and though I also did some of the art for that - it was quite primitive by today's standards. As for the DOOM wads I made, those were just maps (there were some 20,000+ maps made by enthusiasts back in 94-95). The only art I did in DOOM was quite simple (256 color gifs) for my 'Shurrupak' take-off wad.

Of course there are some really great u-boat artists on the SH3 forum, which I am sure you already know. I am afraid Seaboy is not much of one for art.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Seaboy, i find your game dev history interesting, since that's all retro stuff you did.
A lot of basic lines have been settled back then.
Seems i could learn some old school techniques from you. Wink

Quote:
I helped program a simple 2d game called 'Shurrupak' back in 92-93 - and though I also did some of the art for that - it was quite primitive by today's standards

i've never heard of this game.
What kind of game did it was?
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razman23 wrote:

You can blame most of it on the hard headed generals and their use of 19th century tatics in a 20th century war.

Yes something is true about it.

Quote:
Afterall, how many times does it take before they realize that a massive infantry charge against machine gun and artillery just doesnt work.

Yes, i'm just woundering whitch option there realy was to that. The tanks were surly missing. The only thing i can see here is to not sacrifice countless man for a target that is maybe not worth it and especialy when options like tanks are about to be introduced more or less soon. In this case i would maybe rather be defensive till they aren't available.

Quote:
BTW, hows your sim coming along?

Slowly and steadily. You won't notice the development proccesss cose it's all closed now.

But you have interest in it right ?

Deamon
Floater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deamon, you'll always have interest in your project. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to Deamon - it was an RPG like King's Quest or Indiana Jones game the Fate of Atlantis. Several friends and I began the work in late 91 but did not actually really get going on the project until early 93. Sadly for us, because of delays, it did not come out in the shareware version until early 94 and thus it was DOOMed - DOOM came out in late 93. From 89 through 93 was a golden age of PC game making in that a few guys, or even just one guy who knew light programming and a very small investment could easily make a product that could make a lot of money. I recall once staying awake for 56 hours working on just one module that was giving us trouble - and yet we never saw enough return on that game to even cover our costs. During the Christmas of 93 I recall seeing at Walmart a pack of 5 CDs for $5 that contained on them hundreds of games much like ours, and I knew then that our ship was likely sunk. As luck would have it, DOOM swept the nation in early 94 just when we were trying to move our game by shareware. Back in 94 shareware moved mainly by PC users who traded disks with one another, though we did have two download sites on bulletin boards. DOOM overtook even a large part of the RPG market - and caused a slow down or slump in other game markets as I recall. To ship our full version of Shurupak (Shurrupak) we had to charge a minimum of $17. But by that time the market no longer supported that kind of price for 2d games. Back in 94 only about 17 to 22% of the American households even had a PC. It was a different world back then. Everyone who was really with it in the PC world back then (except those poor souls who couldn't afford to upgrade to a 486 PC) were playing DOOM. The only recent modern game that has come near to matching that level of total market participation has been the game Halo 2, and then not on the PC market. Today PC games are a dying breed. But the game market for PCs became quite rough for game makers since about 95 - from 95 through about 2000 I know that there was an average of 3300 games made per year, of which only about a handful ever made it to store shelves. Since the advent of the Xbox and Playstation2 I know this has all changed again.

In any event we used Microshoft PDS7 and QuickC 2.0, both made for a DOS 3.3 environment; which in today's world is like saying you know how to write in Egyptian Hieroglyphics. I first got into computers back in the late 80s when I took a course in taking care of IBM mainframes (on a 3270 terminal with a keyboard that likely weighed more than a modern PC does now!). The monitors we used were lovingly called the 'PHOTON TOREPDOES' because of the damage they did to one's eyes because of their intense bright green light. We used a floppy disk that was about 10 inches wide. The mini-computers we worked on, the System 36, had 1 meg of memory! We thought it was HOT! JCL and RPG were the two languages I first learned.

By 1990 I donated my old Epson and Apple 2C to our local grade school, and bought my first secondhand 286, with two floppy drives and no HD. When I first began programming Shurupak I used a 386 with 4 megs of memory and a 52 meg HD, and other guys would always ask me why I had so much memory and HD space - "...was I planning on being an engineer or something??"

I didn't continue bothering with game programming at all after 94, just a series of boring jobs, like contract programming for an outfit in LA that only dealt with small business.

The advent of the internet created another gold rush period - and I recall days when one could easily make $350 for 20 minutes of work in writing a small web 'PAGE' in HTML. Even my stupid cousin from Oklahoma made $500 for such work as late as 1998 by selling his services to small business owners in areas where the poulation was still in the dark about the internet and PCs. But I don't see too many more gold rush periods ahead in the computer world these days. Oh, if you live in China or India I suppose you might see this period as a gold rush. But certainly Westerners must see this period as one of decline from a pay standpoint. This is likely why Seaboy is often very down on the world I suppose. I grew tired of learning all kinds of platforms only to have them become totally obsolete just as I was starting to really get the hang of them. I also became very negative I suppose about the way Microsoft destroyed so many up and coming software companies that COULD have actually made programming in the late 90s something truly wonderful. In 1991 we were all looking forward to the day when major programming projects would be done with almost no code typing at all (I am speaking about a level far beyond what is offered today). There were several smaller companies working on just that problem in 91. Microsoft came out with VB1 and derailed that idea. VB2 was an improvement, BUT VB3 was actually a step backwards. But by that time the smaller companies who had tried to work on that problem were already history. VB4-5 sucked. Products like Visual C++ 6 for example, never attempted to attain true codeless programming. VB6 improved only enough to take on the internet. Microsoft has never been interested in making public platforms that would put themselves out of business. Today codeless programming has been attained for the West with CHINA LABOR 1.0 and INDIA LABOR 1.1 and yes, Rumanian Labor 1.0!

You see Seaboy is going deeper into remorse the more he thinks about the old days. Damn Damn Damn
AK-101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome photos, never seen any ww1 colour pics before, nice one
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: