Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

My chat with Jamie and missions for new playables.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Multiplayer Matchup
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: My chat with Jamie and missions for new playables. Reply with quote

In a conversation I had with Jamie via PM the other day I lamented the fact that there were few missions for the new playables especially the OHP. He also had noticed this and was mildly dissappointed that they had not seemed to be as popular as SCS had anticipated. They had hoped that the diverse range of platforms would help recruit additional wargaming/strategy gamers who may appreciate the diversity of play (and inherent strategy) available to them in DW."

I suggest that we start to ramp up on the production of missions with the FFG, MH-60, P-3 so that we can try our best to "convert" those Sub Command fans too - who may be sitting on the fence and waiting to purchase DW.
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: My chat with Jamie and missions for new playables. Reply with quote

I think part of the problem is that because of military techno-thrillers, people have a picture of submarine operations, but don't really have one for surface warfare, so they're not really sure what to do with the platforms.

I actually really love the FFG and helo, but maybe that's because at my job I'm surrounded by a lot of former warship captains who tell me about their adventures. In fact, I wish we could also play a CG and DDG. I also wish they had LCS.

There's also a lack of vision for the MH-60. People are like, "okay... is it an attack helo? a cargo helo? or does it just drop torpedos on submarines?" Helicopters in naval warfare are a poorly publicized but potentially very exciting thing.

I think these jack-of-all trades platforms have a lot of potential to knowledable people, but to the ordinary person you almost need to accompany them with descriptions of what they have done in the past.

The other thing is, I wish there were more things on land. The thing that makes DW exciting is that some attention has been paid to littoral operations. The FFG and MH-60 are really good platforms for exploiting that, but unfortunately, there's a lack of land-based platforms. There's the generic SSM, the generic SAM, and a few buildings that suggest troop concentrations, but no tanks, MANPADS, artillery, AAA, etc. If you're going to make a simulation about how naval elements influence events on land, you need those.

Anyhow... just my thoughts.

XabbaRus wrote:
In a conversation I had with Jamie via PM the other day I lamented the fact that there were few missions for the new playables especially the OHP. He also had noticed this and was mildly dissappointed that they had not seemed to be as popular as SCS had anticipated. They had hoped that the diverse range of platforms would help recruit additional wargaming/strategy gamers who may appreciate the diversity of play (and inherent strategy) available to them in DW."

I suggest that we start to ramp up on the production of missions with the FFG, MH-60, P-3 so that we can try our best to "convert" those Sub Command fans too - who may be sitting on the fence and waiting to purchase DW.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Multiplayer Matchup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: