Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Another Newb question :P

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowWulf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Another Newb question :P Reply with quote

Just curious, I’m new to subsims so I was wonting to make sure I had this one assumption right. I understand the entire capitation effect and the speeds and depths that cause it to occur. Though I was wondering if it is actually strategic to travel at low speeds (3-6 knots) even when at great depths. Or if your sub is just in general hard to pick up on sonar unless its cavitating. I’m pretty sure that my first guess was right since it would make since to me that the sub would be giving off more noise but I just wanted to be certain. Thanks for your time.
Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the faster you go the more noise your sub makes and therefore you are more easily detected. I have found that the best speed for quietness is between 1-4 knots. Cavitating obviously makes you very easy to detect.

Hope this helps clarify this issue for you.

Nemo
Amizaur

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually in Sub Command the noise started to raise at about 10kts. Up to 10kts you were exactly same noisy like at stop. Posted the graph of measured sound level increase on DW forum, but the site where I uploaded it is down now. Will post it here when I find a place to put it..

P.S. I put it on imageshack, so here it is:

This graph shows how the noise level changes with the speed, measured on Sub Command v 1.8. On SCX the graph is similar (only the noise level values are different).
Kapitan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got one for the akula at all please? cavitation chart that is
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShadowWulf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help.

Quote:
got one for the akula at all please? cavitation chart that is

Heres the best cavitation chart i have found so far.

You can download the entire manual (that the chart came from) from here http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/missions/SCHQ_TACMAN_PDF.zip .
Kapitan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: