Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

SH3 model builders - What's the best stuff to get?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syxx_Killer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: SH3 model builders - What's the best stuff to get? Reply with quote

Ok, I am wondering, what stuff would I want to get if I were building models? What kind of tools do you use? I've built models before, but my "techniques" were primitive at best. I always think I would like to build models again. Maybe I could get rid of all the broken, wrecked ones (one word - cat Mad ) and start anew. I also wouldn't want it to break the bank, either. Razz

Also, how do you create "special effects" like rust stains on the hull of your models? Do you use an airbrush or something?
Hrafnin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well being a model builder myself i would recomend a good set of x-acto knifes some small drill bits and wire for pining large parts and some modeling putty for closeing gaps and such.

As far as special effects like rust stains or smoke stains on the stacks thats pretty easy. for smoke stains or large patches of rust or the like use whats known as dry brushing-take a paint brush you dont care about and put the paint your going to use then rub most of it off on a paper towel then lightly brush over the area you wan to apply the effect to.

for driping rust say from bolts you could use an ink wash look at a hobby store in the paint section for inks but remember to dilute them before applying or they will be way too dark just like the old cooking addage you can allways add but never take away

feel free to PM me if you have any more questions
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another cheap but effective way to apply very subtle rust and smoke is to go to an arts-and-crafts store and by painter's chalk. Small chalk sticks come in a huge variety of colors. Many airplane builders will tell you that they make wonderful smoke stains, and they're easy to control. You can even use a paintbrush to apply them if you like.
popeye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airbrushes are very useful in model building. learning how to wash and drybrsh is also required skills. there are many good books on the subject. look for something written by shep payne.

Last edited by popeye on Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
terrapin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a wax putty set (BEST thing I've ever bought)

a decent airbrush with a good compressor (a silent one... Very Happy )

X-acto knifes

the complete line of proxxon 12V tools

dental tools

lots of needle files

lots of sanding paper and -foil (up to grain 6000)

Acrylic paint from tamiya, enamels from humbrol, revell, gunze etc..
real rust for rust, pastels for weathering

various thinners + solvents, all kinds of glues

...lots of patience for research...lot's of patience for modeling...

In autumn I'll put up an an article series covering the Revell VIIC 1/72 kit...I'll try to be as detailed as possible, targeting also ppl who don't have much modeling experience
Duli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Terrapin, I am looking forward to it.
popeye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=654

here is a link to a nice article about how to build a type VIIc. nice looking model.
Capn Tucker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popeye wrote:
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=654

here is a link to a nice article about how to build a type VIIc. nice looking model.

I can sympathize with that guy about the aftermarket parts being too expensive. Gotta have 'em though. Still collecting parts for my Type VII's. Got the wood deck and pressure hull kits; saving up for the control room, torpedo room and engine room kits (damn they're expensive!). The boat itself only cost me $39; I shudder to think what the final tally is going to be though... Sad
terrapin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Tucker wrote:
popeye wrote:

I can sympathize with that guy about the aftermarket parts being too expensive. Gotta have 'em though. Still collecting parts for my Type VII's. Got the wood deck and pressure hull kits; saving up for the control room, torpedo room and engine room kits (damn they're expensive!). The boat itself only cost me $39; I shudder to think what the final tally is going to be though... Sad

300 at least Very Happy
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popeye wrote:
look for something written by shep payne.

Ah, the king of the diorama. I have a couple of his books and haven't looked at them for a while. Thanks for reminding me.
popeye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really want to build a model! i live in china, and i can buy kits everywhere, but getting the proper glue, paint...all the other stuff...forget it! i used to build alot of armor models, 1:35th scale. one of my best pieces though, was my HMS Victory. only 2 feet long, but i worked on it for over a year. the rigging and sails were all scratch built.
terrapin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popeye wrote:
i really want to build a model! i live in china, and i can buy kits everywhere, but getting the proper glue, paint...all the other stuff...forget it! i used to build alot of armor models, 1:35th scale. one of my best pieces though, was my HMS Victory. only 2 feet long, but i worked on it for over a year. the rigging and sails were all scratch built.

Wow...can we see a photo?
Capn Tucker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrapin wrote:
Capn Tucker wrote:
popeye wrote:

300 at least Very Happy

Probably closer to $500. Want to replace all the deck/flak guns with metal ones, need the photo-etch kit, metal scopes & prop shafts. Bridge crew, gun crews, and crewmen for the interior compartments too. And then there's the display case.. <sigh>
popeye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice display cases cost a few bucks, even to make, with oak and stuff. good way to dispay your hard work though. im very interested in making a decent VII kit after reading that article.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popeye wrote:

Hey thanks for the linky, this will be very usefull.
My VIIc is about to be shipped soon, I just can't wait for.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: