Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Way OT: You've spent too much time on Earth when...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twelvefield

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Way OT: You've spent too much time on Earth when... Reply with quote

This is terribly off-topic, but I think with this crowd there should be some who will commiserate:

You know you've lived too long when you are looking through the TV guide for the History Channel (looking for submarine shows, natch), and the movie listed for the day is "2001: A Space Odyssey".

I remember when that movie was considered super-futuristic! Now it's on the History Channel... where did all the time go... ?
Zie Chuckinator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont mean to be rude but how old are u?
Twelvefield

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old enough to know the terror in your heart that you, Chuckinator, personally will feel forty years from now when they have "Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith" on the History Channel (2D Non-Holograph).
JBClark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That movie came out in my small town theater the same week that Apollo 11 was headed to the moon. I was 10 years old and spent most of that mission inside two refigerator boxes designated CSM and LEM. They were set up in my room and I had a TV, a sleeping bag and a lot of books. Mom would bring my meals to me. My only EVAs were to the head, the old man wouldn't spring for plumbing my "spacecraft" and I wasn't quite geeky enough to use bags.

The ony time I broke this regime was for the first showing of "2001." For a 10 year old space geek, this was the best week of my young life.

Was this really almost 36 years ago?
Floater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBClark wrote:
Was this really almost 36 years ago?

Ouch. It really was that long ago. Ouch.

Ouch.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Children! I was just heading off to college the summer 2001: A Space Oddysey and The Graduate were released. I listened to Neil Armstrong on a radio at boot camp.
Tonyt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the 8th grade. Remember where you were and what you were dong when JFK was shot?
deKoven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sirs; I'm old enuf that I remember war rationing (WW2). My sis and I were just wee folks but we were investigating my grandmother's stuff she had piled out on the kitchen table. Some little booklet which we looked at and asked the inevitable ?? !

"What is it, gramma?" "IT" was a sugar rationing booklet with coupons in it. Sugar was the last of the rationed items and was taken off "fairly" soon after.

All that we take for granted now has followed since. At the time flying was done in prop planes. No TV, FM radio was not popular, 78 rpm records (if that), no supermarkets and the gas station attendant actually washed your window and checked the tires. Very Happy

Oh, and Saturday afternoon was spent at the local movie house. $0.25 got you in for 2 serial movies, 1 cartoon and some popcorn.

We got it made now! Please can I go back there?

:hmm:
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonyt wrote:
Remember where you were and what you were dong when JFK was shot?

7th grade, at school. We were all sent to the lunchroom, where we listened to radio reports.

Dekoven: It only goes to show, there's always someone a little older, or a little smarter, or a little faster.

And no, I wouldn't give up being able to play games like SHIII for anything. I'm glad my kids are grown and I love my cable TV.
Driftwood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it in wonderful Cinerama.............was about 10 yrs old......Great Movie!!!! As a matter of fact, I think I'll put it on the ole DVD player right now! Thumbs Up See y'all in the funny papers.......Hee Hawwww! LOL

Who knows what that's from????? Neutral\
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: