Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Dev Team, Silent Hunter 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finchOU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the "Fix SH3 first crowd".....though the Pacific theater seems like the perfect add on to complete the sim.....as it is....I still see too much wrong with SH3 to jump on a new game bandwagon...which why I hope it is an add on/expansion pack/major patch....but that is me
Dogsbd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind the Pacific Theater being as an add-on to SHIII, or even like UBI did Pacific Fighters which could be installed as an expansion to IL2FB or as a stand alone.

But fans of PTO Sub sims have been waiting a looooooooong time for anything that would interest us.
Drebbel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogsbd wrote:
But fans of PTO Sub sims have been waiting a looooooooong time for anything that would interest us.

PTO ??? Confused

- - - some time later - - -

Ah, got it.

• Pacific Theater of Operations

The Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO) is the term used in the United States for all military activity in the Pacific Ocean and the countries bordering it, during World War II.
Marhkimov

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to look too far ahead into the future, because I am still very much into SH3, but I am looking forward to joining the PTO.

I want to have a Balao... ANd damnit, I want to be an American! Stare
Wulfmann

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want I want I want.

Being realistic to what you might get would make a Dutch sub or an Italian sub unlikely.

Put yourself in the Dev shoes and ask what would have wide appeal not what one guy might like. They must decide what will work well and have broad appeal to be profitable.
Darn if only we made the O21, this thing would have sold much better!
Not likely mate!

While stereo typing Italian and French as cowards does not represent the majority of good men in those navies it is how history recalls them fair or not and that makes them of little interest to 99.99% of potential feed my children, customers.
As Good as the Royal Navy was (is!) submarines in the Atlantic are called U-baots and are for Germans, perception is what people buy not your (or my) form of reality. Those British guys are so polite, are you sure they are not gay?

People prefer playing Germans or Americans more than any other nationality!
Why? (Can’t wait to hear all the nationalistic whining about this!)
The Germans are the ultimate bad guy, the Darth Vader syndrome. The guys you love to hate and hate to love. (and the Kriegsmarine was considered an honorable enemy to alleviate guilt a bit!)
As for good guys, the yanks are smart mouthed misfits that are not wearing white hats but coming to kick your butt, the Hans Solo syndrome.

So, when you sit down and say, how can we do this and pay the bills you do the Germans in the Atlantic and the Americans in the Pacific. That is where the majority of interest will be.

So tell me I am completely wrong and it is a Dutch campaign in the Pacific that would be a bigger draw or an Italian one in the Atlantic. What next, the Greeks should be an add on for the Med? What no sub named the Papamicolis? How can SH4 succeed?

Sorry, but I just love these narrow I wants that have no chance of doing anything but reducing profitability and reducing future simulations if ever considered!

I do hope they update SH3 as part of SH4, which would be a big draw giving cause for those not interested in the Pacific to buy it anyway.
I agree the fact the Atlantic starts easy and gets progressively harder makes for a perfect game scenario.
Perhaps the US campaign should be 1942-43 before the slaughter begins in 44 but it will be a challenge to buck history and make it harder as one plays.
I do hope they do a Japanese campaign using the smaller boats as a choice. Those big ones you all are longing for handles poorly, dove very slowly and were weak structurally compared to what you are use to in the Atlantic. You will think a Type IX is a sports car when you get into an I–boat. You will have little chance against mediocre AS craft because the boats just don’t turn well.

There is the mod makers to improve things (again) once SH4 is released and the fact they are doing one is a super Christmas gift, IMO

Wulfmann
Drebbel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So tell me I am completely wrong and it is a Dutch campaign in the Pacific

Yes, you wrong. Dutch subs would definately make the sim more appealing. Razz

And also remember that most Dutch subs in PTO where under Allied/American operational command, so they could fit in very well in the dynamic campaign the dev-team is gonna design anyway.

They should just do some tweaks that ensure that the skippers on the Dutch boats generally have Australian home ports (like Freemantle) and do more than average patrolling/secret ops in the Dutch East Indies compared to the US subs.

So actually the only time consuming thing the dev-team has to do is make a model of a Dutch sub. That is all.

Last but not least: The Dutch subs had many really unique features --like snorts (even before the Germans) and tubes that fire sideways-- which would make every subsimmer go wild Surprised

Very Happy
CCIP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'll take a boat with some sideways snorts Very Happy

Seriously though, I wish they'd take a cue from the "Forgotten Battles" approach and let us sail some of the lesser-known forces Smile
Marhkimov

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, Italy would first come to mind... Nobody knows a dang thing about Italian subs... Not even the Italians! Laughing

That would make for a perfect unknown theater, similar to IL2 and Russia.
donut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Quoted from web site http://www.combinedfleet.com/games.htm Reply with quote

"Silent Hunter, by SSI. One of my readers says, "Submarines during World War 2 became an important weapon of the combatants. Silent Hunter by SSI is perhaps the best made simulation to date of sub warfare. The game provides single or historical scenarios, along with a campaign game covering the entire Pacific War. All realism settings can be changed by the player to suit his or her own playing style. Also, a sub tour and interviews with William "Bud" Gruner, commander of the U.S.S. Skate during World War II are provided.

Patrol zones range across the whole area of the theater of operations. Nine sub types are yours to command, along with direct or auto control of the deck gun and computer controlled AA guns. Four torpedo types and new technology appear at the appropriate times in the campaign game. In additon to the hunting of enemy ships, photo recon and lifeguard duty are also part of the experience. As of this writing, I have been through several campaigns and have so far counted 47 seperate ship types. Of that 47, there were 9 carrier types, 5 battleship types, 5 cruiser types, 5 light cruiser types, 10 destroyer types, 2 patrol craft types, 1 sub type, 9 freighter types (cargo to troops) and 1 sampan type. One patrol disk has been released, adding new patrol zones. Another is promised in the near future.

From my perspective as a gamer, the graphics are excellent, the ship types various enough so as not to get boring and the AI smart enough to take appropriate action. The control of the realism settings is a big plus. The patrol disk concept is a good way to add to an already great game. There has been a patch or two released that have made the game one of the most stable I've ever seen. I've played all the others and this game is the only one which has kept my interest. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.

The game requires at least a 486DX/66 or better; with 8 megs ram, a 1 Mb SVGA graphics card, a double speed cd-rom drive and a mouse. On a P90 with 16 megs ram, it runs like a dream." My desire for SHIV.This observation is nearly 10 years old. SHIV,need only be an enhancement,to be the worlds best seller IMHO. :/\rlz:
Marhkimov

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Quoted from web site http://www.combinedfleet.com/games. Reply with quote

donut wrote:
The game requires at least a 486DX/66 or better; with 8 megs ram, a 1 Mb SVGA graphics card, a double speed cd-rom drive and a mouse. On a P90 with 16 megs ram, it runs like a dream. My desire for SHIV.

When will the day be, that we get computers like this... :hmm:
donut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Some answers Cmdr. Reply with quote

I quoted those specs,because SHIII, is such a hog.Nothing new,just enhancement to keep developers job securty.Specs are 10years old.
CCIP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw come on, SHIII is a pretty mild game as far as system requirements go, even among simulators. I find that it runs pretty swell even on my moderately crappy system which cost me about $1,000 two years ago :hmm:
CB..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfmann wrote:

Those British guys are so polite, are you sure they are not gay?

i beg your pardon? :hmm: Wink

of for dang's sake UBI just release the bl**dy sdk and modelling tools and we'll make the dang thing---going thru all these wish lists drive you mad--

i bet they'd kill for the sort of sales figures and community interest involvement aroused by MSN's flight sim/ combat flight sim franchise--
well IMO the only thing stopping the increase in sales and exspansion of our niche subsim market is the games manufactures them selves--

release the modelling/landscape/physics/AI editing tools and sdks
and watch what happens---
donut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: My dander is disturbed Reply with quote

Why must we/I,in an effort to be a good stewards,be forced to spend for enhancement in games.In the way of a new box.when older,good games,played on less.I know support developers,ie.job securty.
Wulfmann

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drebbel wrote:
Quote:
So tell me I am completely wrong and it is a Dutch campaign in the Pacific
Yes, you wrong. Dutch subs would definately make the sim more appealing. Razz Very Happy

Well that should settle it. What people have been clamoring for all these years and have been wrongly ignored, a Dutch campaign! yes, that is where the money lies and all I ever hear about is why can't I be a Dutchman, that is what we all want to be in a wargame!!! Rotfl Look how far I had to scrooll to get past all the "Amens" for a Dutch campaign. (Although I am wierd enough to be happy to have one myself)

Do you remember the movie (Historically very inaccurate) Bridge on the River Kwai?
Well, beside that fact the railroad does not cross that river most of the POWs were Dutch, most gravestones are Dutch ( I did a travel story ((Oriental Express))on this and can state this personally) and yet that film was an all British affair (perhaps the Dutch were grateful to be left out of that fantasy!)

I realize there are small groups that would like a Polish sub campaign or maybe a French combat flight sim but my point was if you were a dev and you financial existance depended on your choices you would quickly dismiss the Dutch campaign but ask for some Dutch hot cocoa on a winter's day because their cocoa is great!!!Rock

Wulfmann
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: