Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Sources for good missions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FERdeBOER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Another possible info source Reply with quote

Hello all. It´s a very interesting conversation here!

I want to tell that in WIKIPEDIA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page you can find a lot of info about countries: navy, air force... it depends of the country your search, but, for example, I had find the ships and helos that Turkey has.Even the one´s they are planing to buy.

As I said, is not perfect, I couldn´t find the naval bases of Turkey, but I found the Russian´s ones, but in the other hand I found the names of the Almirals in charge of the fleets!! Thumbs Up

Is a good place to look. Hope you find it interesting.
swimsalot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen missions by many of the posters in here, so I think it's the right place to ask.
I enjoy writing scenarios, and personally think I'm pretty good at it. But I haven't really dug into the mission editor part of DW. I have played around with it a bit, but it's not very intuitive, at least for a novice like myself.

Can anyone help out with the map making part?
I'd love to team up with someone, I'm working on a pretty good campaign now.
I'm in Seawolves, on ICQ, and have another 3 weeks off work from an injury!!!
Contact me if ya feel like helpin out, I'd appreciate any info/ideas.
Even if you have an idea for a scenario, but don't like writing them, I'd love to help.
Thanks,
('Thumbs Up')
Swims
jbambrick@comcast.net
ICQ 249-548-432
sonar732

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the old Sub Command salts...

There was a website that had default maps for various parts of the world. Indian Ocean, Gulf of Mexico, the Med, etc. All of the important ocean features were labeled and some other ones had lighthouses, oil rigs, etc.

Where did this site go?
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about when a special naval exercise turns into WW3 ?

you could have russians testing a new missile system and they are being moniterd by the americans and the russians get annoyed and sink the american boat which in turn ncreates a back lash and america send a fleet to come and destroy russian navy.

so the mission could be set in the bearnts sea with three kilos and two akulas many surface ships and planes also american ships subs and plane giving it a good battling out

how about that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonar732 wrote:
For the old Sub Command salts...

There was a website that had default maps for various parts of the world. Indian Ocean, Gulf of Mexico, the Med, etc. All of the important ocean features were labeled and some other ones had lighthouses, oil rigs, etc.

Where did this site go?

You can actually download a lot of the charts that they use for satellite navigation from the national geospatial intelligence agency, but you need a viewer for the files. They only have the CONUS available online, though.
inetd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/index.html very useful when creating missions. It provides data about the naval and air force bases of different countries, often with geographical coordinates.
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Another Good Book Reply with quote

Strategic Antisubmarine Warfare and Naval Strategy by Tom Stefanick

A bit dry sometimes, but none the less comprehensive in it's details. Describes the hunt for Soviet SSBNs in their bastions. Discusses the role of area surveillance (SOSUS, SURTASS), maritime patrol aircraft, SSNs and surface ships. Additionally, it vaguely describes the possible role of nuclear weapons in ASW.

The real gem in this book is the appendices, though, which go into all the gorey details of acoustics, engineering and oceanography pointing out exactly what about the problem was so difficult.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: