Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Movie warning...(non sh3 content)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Movie warning...(non sh3 content) Reply with quote

Of course, nothing will ever top Das Boot, but I keep hope alive and continue to buy sub movies.

Well I thought id warn you guys before you make the same mistake I did.

"In enemy hands" is the stupidest, dumbest, most pooly acted pile of rot ive ever seen. And it makes me sad because I love William H Macey... :down:
Carcassonne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, steering clear.
Oombongo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right but hey...this is a typical Hollywood movie.

I bet my head usually when they show the usage of computer in very stupid way. Damn
Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but "stupid hollywood" I can handle...U-571 is such, but its still kind of enjoyable. This move is so far off, its insane...no wonder i never heard of it...
August

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plot: American sub crew somehow gets captured by U-boat crew. U-Boat crew comes down with menengitis, American crew is pressed into service. I forget how it ended which shows you how interesting it was.
Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everyones getting these rashes on the american boat and then, blah blah..you. its not worth it. Plus, the captain of the swordfish makes me want to punch him in the face.
Syxx_Killer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the bit on IMDB's website:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316824/

Just reading the plot summary makes the movie sound dumb. If this is a movie about WWII, why is there a modern sub on the movie art? :doh:
Chock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the European title for this film is 'U-Boat' (which is a big clue as to how imaginative it is going to be). Not that it's had a cinema release in the UK as far as I'm aware. I suspect that we can be truly thankful for that.
I haven't seen it myself but the fact that what appears to be a modern, possibly nuclear, submarine is on the poster of a movie called U-Boat is not a good sign. I hope someone has pointed out to the film-makers that there is a difference between a U-Boat and a submarine and at least they now feel very stupid.
Being a writer myself (among other things) I can understand the pressure to come up with a twisty plot etc. And while I'm not averse to a bit of enjoyable turn your brain off hokum, this just seems like an excuse to throw enemies together in a confined space, with no regard for other factors, which is essentially a cheap scriptwriting ploy.
To explain:
The basic formulaic process of most stories in movies like this is as follows: 1. put some characters together. 2. Create a situation to which there seems to be no possible safe resolution. 3. End the story with a surpise resolution to the situation. (divide this across three acts and roll the cameras) The end. This sounds like a prime candidate for that category of movie making.
Regardless of the fact that William H Macy (a really great actor) appears in it, it sounds like it will really suck. I suspect that either William H Macy fancied a go at an actioner for a change/laugh, or he is doing the movie as a favour to a friend or studio. So even though Macy is in it, it's no guarantee of quality, after all, even George Lucas can make a turkey out of a duck (see Howard the Duck for further details - or rather don't see it).
Apparently there are numerous technical gaffs in U-Boat/In Enemy Hands too, which frankly doesn't surprise me either.
A far better prospect for some enjoyable underwater action will probably be 'Lorelei, The Witch of the Pacific', a Japanese movie which is an unusual mix of Japanese style action flick, supernatural thriller and submarine movie (maybe they'll throw in a couple of song and dance routines in the special edition to cover all genres eh?). Again this movie is still awaiting a European release, so I haven't seen that one either yet.
Das Boot remains at the number one spot for me and there isn't anything in recent years which has been worthy of the number two spot either! Sad but true. Don't get me started on U571...
knight76

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plot: American sub crew somehow gets captured by U-boat crew. U-Boat crew comes down with menengitis, American crew is pressed into service. I forget how it ended which shows you how interesting it was.

Well that will teach them for taking american scum onboard. They should have just machine gunned the life boats like usual.
andy_311

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what you get when you become a SUPERPOWER and movie makers try to reel in the $$$$.IT was us the Brits who captured the sub with the Enigma machine not the Yanks.
but saying that what you cant have we will put it in a movie theres always some idiot out there that would belive it.
Capn Tucker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy_311 wrote:
Thats what you get when you become a SUPERPOWER and movie makers try to reel in the $$$$.IT was us the Brits who captured the sub with the Enigma machine not the Yanks.
but saying that what you cant have we will put it in a movie theres always some idiot out there that would belive it.

Well, the "Yanks" did capture a sub with Enigma (U-505), but it was a few years later. But if you're talking about U-571, that is the most outrageous pile of sh1t I've ever seen. And you're right, the 14 and 16 year olds who see that movie will believe that's what really happened... Rolling Eyes
JohnP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: UM Reply with quote

andy_311 wrote:

So were you too busy beating off your "yank" garbage to completely miss the topic at hand? the movie features an AMERICAN CREW being CAPTURED BY A GERMAN CREW, not the other way around... but hey, lets not let that little fact get in the way of your beat off session, well done!!!
Fehler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy!

Bah, you are still mad because we decided we didnt want to pay your taxes over here...

We would rather tax ourselves to death!

Hehe
mop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fehler wrote:
Andy!

Bah, you are still mad because we decided we didnt want to pay your taxes over here...

Wrong again the War for independance was more about right to self govern and had little to do with taxes. Infact the 'Americans' where taxed less than in any other area of the Empire.
Just thought you would like to know that Laughing
John Channing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as this thread has nothing to do with Silent Hunter III, off it goes to the Films forum.

And if the political rhetoric doesn't cool down, off it goes to never never land.

JCC
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: