Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Manual TDC

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH2 Pacific Aces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Manual TDC Reply with quote

Where to learn it? Any good sites or downloadable tutorials?

edit: using the Kollmorgan scope that came with PA
aanker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Manual TDC Reply with quote

The bacic principles of Manual TDC are the same no matter if it is for SH I, SH II, PA... etc.

Hondo's battlebelow.com, and Pacific Thunder's subsowespac.org download section have great introductions, tutorials, and tools for manual TDC for SH I that apply to all of these sims.

Art Anker
Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a very easy and good tutorial on Drebbel's web some time ago, but I can't remember the link exactly. If you use tutorials from US subs webs note that SH2 is based on german TDC and as such has no position keeper. Firing with manual TDC in SH2/PA is very different than doing it with SH1 :know:
aanker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, the principles are the same though. You can conduct an attack without a TDC in PA. The US S-Boats didn't even have one and as a S-Boat lover (and the S-Boat mod for PA) I choose not to use one.

You need a plotting board, calculator, ruler, dividers, and a protractor. Frank Kulick wrote a good article on this method for SH I that works just as well in PA.

Art Anker
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what quantity (in degrees I'm assuming, right?) the ticks on the PA scope denote?

And if the ranging instructions here http://www.battlebelow.com/range.htm are valid when using the scope?

Thanks
Piter_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rotteufel.iespana.es/htdc_tutorial/a_start.htm
Here Wink
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I guess the info I'm looking for is:

The SHII manual states that at 1x zoom, each dash=.5 degrees; at 4x zoom each dash=.25 degrees. Does that hold true when using the PA Kollmorgan scope?

Thanks all

EDIT: Ok, just tried using the Kollmorgan for range estimates and it doesn't really seem like it's meant for it. Or it could just be me screwing up. Anyway, those that do manual TDC in PA, do you guys use the Kollmorgan or the standard scope modded with the precision TDC markings?

EDIT #2: The method I'm using is as described in the SHII manual. I am using the torp training mission that comes with PA. I am doing D=Mastheight/tan(angle taken using scope). The marks on the scope just don't seem to be at a small enough interval to use this method accurately.
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, it WAS me screwing up.

By the way... in case I've never said it before...

PA ROCKS Rock Rock Rock !

Thanks dev team and mod makers!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH2 Pacific Aces All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: