Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Please remember subs travel slowly when you're placing units

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesT73J

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Please remember subs travel slowly when you're placing units Reply with quote

Hi All,

Played some fantastic custom MP maps recently, however there is a small trend I've noticed on a small number of maps concerning submarine playables.

In some cases, a playable will be some 30-40nm from it's objective. Consider that most MP games take place within a 2 hour timeframe, it can make life very difficult for some poor sub skipper to get into the action, and in the case of being tasked to transit an area, virtually impossible without going carelessly fast.
If you've got a half-decent helo or P3 driver on your side, the hapless sub player can end up with little chance to contribute anything.

It's hard to get right (I'm not a fan of knifefights), and I know it's not deliberate, as the maps I've seen have been very nicely put together. I suspect it's more a case of the designer not realising just how slowly paced sub-players tend to work.

Cheers

James
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fish

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw some maps like you say, 35 nm and more, in one with a 30 nm long island in between. :8Cool
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having this same issue myself. I try to make a mental note of which missions have ridiculously long transits for subs and avoid those missions...

As a rule of wrist, I try to create missions that last about 2 hours, with no subs able to detect each other at mission start and with first sub to sub contact taking place about half an hour in...although dynamic starting positions can alter this. If you've been having the "long transit" issue with any of mine, let me know by email or PM what mission and where your platform started the mission and I'll have a look. I'm in the middle of re-editing everything to make them NCHQ-scoring compliant anyways, so it's no trouble.

As a side note, I've also noticed a lot of players that get bored if there's no action within the first 5 minutes. Others use careful patrol speeds in cases when they ought to be transiting at a moderate cruise...they end up missing out on the action because of themselves, not the designer. Probably not you, James, but I thought I'd preempt the chorus. Laughing
Cyklop

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: General guidance to MP missions designers Reply with quote

This has been said many times in various places, but I feel it may help to point out some basic principles once again.

Dear authors, when you design MP missions please bear these in mind:

1. Provide every player with tasking and write at least a short mission brief.

It's really frustrating when you have to guess what the author had in mind.

2. Pay attention to the way that platforms are assigned to sides.

Otherwise "Message to side" communications is useless.

3. Make sure it will take us less than an hour to reach the operations area.

No problem for airborne platforms, but try to approach that convoy 60 nm away in a Kilo before other players fall asleep Smile

Last, but not least, thank you for your missions! Thumbs Up
JamesT73J

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molon Labe wrote:

As a side note, I've also noticed a lot of players that get bored if there's no action within the first 5 minutes. Others use careful patrol speeds in cases when they ought to be transiting at a moderate cruise...they end up missing out on the action because of themselves, not the designer. Probably not you, James, but I thought I'd preempt the chorus. Laughing

Very Happy If there's a time constraint for an objective (such as a fixed time I need to arrive at a point on the map), I'll alter my speed appropriately. If it's simply a case of 'find something and kill it' I will take it easy unless I'm absolutely sure nothing nasty is in detection range, in which case I'll have a little run in any direction where I think there may be something lurking.

One of the big differences between DW and SC is how competent ASW players can really work the map and make the sub skipper's life hell. This makes life tricky for the mission designer, as he has to place subs close enough to have a sniff of the target, but not so close that they are within attack range with too much ease, or that the ASW assets can make a simple educated guess where you're lurking and start working the buoy patterns.

I played a superb mission last night, which was a simple 4-player featuring 2 kilos, an FFG and Helo, and a carrier which the Kilo's had to attack. The timing was great, with just the right amount of work required by both sides to make a thrilling battle.

Edit: These avatars get crazier Rotfl
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesT73J wrote:

I played a superb mission last night, which was a simple 4-player featuring 2 kilos, an FFG and Helo, and a carrier which the Kilo's had to attack. The timing was great, with just the right amount of work required by both sides to make a thrilling battle.

Yellow Pearl. That one's great. There is a bit of work to do for the FFG though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: