Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

A giant naval battle for you

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mission Designers' Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACSoft

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: A giant naval battle for you Reply with quote

Hello,

I have seen in several threads of SH-III forums that many peoples would love to see a naval battle. This single mission is for them !!!

A titanic battle between an English and a German group will occur in the vicinity of Capri Island, in the Napoli Golfe. This is a totally fictious event which never occur in the reality. It involve famous "King Georges V" and "Nelson" battleships on the English side, and of course, the "Bismarck" on German side.

Your targets are battleships "King Georges V" and "Nelson". Of course, you can also just be a spectator of this dramatic giant naval battle. But notice that the issue of the battle may depend on your job !!!

After the battle, if your group survived, it will return to Napoli not faster than 12 knots, which should allow you to rejoin it and navigate surfaced with it. A great spectacle to not miss !!!

If you do it, you will also have an other nice surprise !!! Stay on the bridge to not miss it !!!

You can download this single mission HERE

Have fun !!!

ACSoft

PS: ZIP ARCHIVE WAS UPDATED WITH THE LAST VERSION THE 21.05.01 / 01:24 CET

Last edited by ACSoft on Fri May 20, 2005 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
canimo

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I got the file...

what to i have to do now in order to play ???

BTW, im version 1.2 no mods
ACSoft

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside the zip archive, you have a readme.txt file which explain you all: how to install and the tips to play the single mission.

ACS
Krypta

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out the mission today. However, the british fleet seems to avoid the german fleet. Am I the only one that has experienced this ?
ACSoft

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krypta wrote:
I tried out the mission today. However, the british fleet seems to avoid the german fleet. Am I the only one that has experienced this ?

Actually, I don't know. In my case, the battle engage about 10 minutes after the begin and it is very spectacular, believe me !!!

Does single mission behave differently depending on the patch version or even the PC machine running the game ? I don't know. For your information, I have patch 1.3 installed.

Can-you tell me a bit more what happen on your side, I am interested to discover why it seem not to behave the same.

Thanks in forward.

ACSoft
Krypta

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the mission twice , partly becuz I didn't like the result of the first(that being the fleets only seemed to partially engage and i wanted them to really go at each other Very Happy ). In the first battle I moved in on the British fleet sent 4 eels at one of the BB's and dove as the DD started to move in on me. As this was happening, the German fleet arrived and both fleets started opening up on each other. They exchanged volleys for awhile and, I believe the German fleet took out the 2 British DD's. However, the rest of the British fleet disengaged( 2 BB's and a Cruiser ) and took off south, while the German fleet didnt pursue and just seemed to circle in its place. It didnt look like much more was going to happen and I would never be able to catch the British fleet so I exited the game. On my second attempt, I decided to try and be a bit more quiet, and perhaps not disturb the fleet, so that the 2 fleets could have a go at each other. Pretty much the same thing occured as the first battle, the British DD's engaged the German fleet and were sunk. However, the German fleet seemed to pursue, but the British (2 BB's and cruiser) had already headed south and was apparantly not going to engage. Basically the same result.
I am running patch 1.3. I also don't think the PC which is running the game would have any effect on the outcome, we both have the same game, right. So, I dunno what the problem could be. When you designed the mission, were both fleets ment to intersect with each other ? Secondly, is there a clear outcome for one of the sides, German or British, or is the mission designed to behave as I have described above? I was under the impression that the fleets would engage each other until a clear victor was established, if this isn't how you designed the mission, then my apologies.
ACSoft

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During development and tuning of this mission (which was first intended to deeply test the mission editor), I have played the mission many many times.

Each battle have different results and behaviors, which, in fact, stunt me and demonstrate how well is the AI to really introduce a lot of random factors, which make each battle a totally different story. This is really great.

The mission is effectively programmed for the British group to sail south, in case of survivance, while the German group is programmed to do evolutions during the battle time (zig zag) and finally, to sail back to Napoli harbour where it will stop. This should not happen before 35 to 40 minutes of furious battle.

But in every battle I had, it is almost everytime a giant slaughter, where every time, one of the group is totally distroyed and the survival ship is always a single big battleship, with maybe an other one (destroyer or cruiser) in a very bad state. I even had a battle where finally all boats were killed !!! Only one time, I think, I had a result where two ships, one of each side, survived long enough to take their final opposite path and therefore cease the fight. This description only concern the case you just do nothing with your submarine.

I tryed to design the game that if you sink the "King George V", the balance of power is in favor of German group and by me, this is verified. Here again, never the same battle behavior, but each time I was able to kill the "King George V" very soon (before he can inflict damage), German group alway win, most of the time with few boat lost and even one time, no lost at all and all ships still not much damaged. I must confess that I never tryed to sink other boat than the the two majors one given as your primary and secondary target, like you do, but I doubt this could explain the difference it seem to exist.

Two groups of Stuka bomber are also programmed. The first one attack the British group, just before the naval battle start. The second one come two three minutes later. What is nice, is that I have seen sometimes other aircraft group(s), which I DIDN'T PROGRAM, coming also to attack British vessels. This confirm that single mission run over the dynamic campaign context. Most of the time it was Italian level bomber, but sometimes, other Stuka (probably Italian too).

As you use the same version of the game, if you do not see the same kind of general behaviors, it mean obviously that it come from the difference between our mutual computer (probably computer speed & power). It is perfectly possible.

Now, the principal is that, in fact, you saw a battle !!! I though you was saying group don't fight at all and that English group was running away, as soon as they received shell from the German group.

If you are still motivated to see naval battle, tell me if you have the feeling it is the same by you. It would be interesting to know if characteristics of the computer affect AI behavior. You may also try to sink the "King George V". This is a not so easy challenge !!!

I will tune a little bit more this mission and update the zip archive. I will edit my first message of this thread to let know it is done.

Cheers,

ACSoft
Sawdust

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded this mission and tried it out. The battle was really sweet. Definitely a good time to use the free camera view. Only one ship survived (besides mine)...it was the Bismarck. (I can't say that I helped much; I'll have to play it again and do better.)

Here's a screenshot.

Thanks for the cool mission. I'll have to look into making my own.
BTW, I wonder if the year alters the behavior or abilities of the ships. (I was playing in the Type IID, year 1940, patch v1.3)
Seaboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big battles are fun, better than watching wallowing merchants dodge torpedoes. Its about all I've played lately. But next week I am prepared to return to a career - back to the work-a-day world of punching in the time clock at AL36 or BF15 and killing 24 hours going in circles. I suppose I just want to test out 1.4b patch to see if things have improved any with careers. I'll likely end up regretting it, but I will. Really levels are the only way to play - and they are so easy to make with SH3 I can't see why I should post them or download them anymore. But I have no doubt your level is fun. Big actions usually are at least interesting to watch if not play. Thumbs Up
Serapindal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link=broken. D:
Tazzie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here :hmm: Damn
phatmatt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serapindal wrote:
Link=broken. D:

could someone upload the mission? i would surely like to try it out
Sawdust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am not the author, but I did download the mission many months ago so I just uploaded it.
You can get the zipped file at this location: http://www.brockmanonline.com/misc/napolibattle.zip
It'll only be there a limited time.

Hopefully the original author (ACSoft) won't mind and maybe the mission can be made available somewhere more permanently. I enjoyed playing it.

Keep in mind that this thread is about 1000 years old and you can't expect the links to be unbroken forever. Cool
phatmatt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawdust wrote:
Ok, I am not the author, but I did download the mission many months ago so I just uploaded it.
You can get the zipped file at this location: http://www.brockmanonline.com/misc/napolibattle.zip
It'll only be there a limited time.

Hopefully the original author (ACSoft) won't mind and maybe the mission can be made available somewhere more permanently. I enjoyed playing it.

Keep in mind that this thread is about 1000 years old and you can't expect the links to be unbroken forever. Cool

thank you sawdust, and yes i know it cant be there forever but i thought ill give a try for this mission. thanks again
slammer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: napoli mission problem Reply with quote

I have run into a problem when trying to use Napoli battle. I had
version 1.4b installed and have recently installed realuboat 1.45.

All the single missions seem to work with the exception of Napoli
battle. When viewing the single mission menu the napoli battle
selection is there. However there is no text giving an overview
of the battle but most importantly when selecting the mission and
hitting start nothing happens. It stays on the single mission menu
selection page. Clicking on another mission and hitting start the
selected mission loads and is playable. I have downloaded the misson
again and re installed but still fails to start. Any Ideas?? Thanks.

Slammer

"The most feared u-boat captain. Unfortuately not by the enemy
but by the crew because they know they are going to die".
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mission Designers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: