Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

SH3 Developers are Looking for Mods.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beery

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: SH3 Developers are Looking for Mods. Reply with quote

The developers have sent word through the Subsim.com grapevine that they are putting the call out to the mod community for high-quality mods and 3D models for possible inclusion in a future version of the game. Here are the restrictions for 3D models:

For ships and planes, these are the restrictions:

Battleships - 35,000 poly

Destroyers - 25,000 poly

Merchants:

- 10,000 poly - small

- 15,000 poly - medium

- 20,000 poly - large

Planes - 3,500-4,000 poly

It's important that all the work should be done by the community. All submissions must be the mod-maker's own work - please do not use copyrighted work or models found on the internet. The developers will add the best models in the game and the mod-makers will be added to credits in the special thanks section. Details of where to send the mods will follow.

The developers hope that everyone will enjoy this task for the community.
iambecomelife

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't model a 3d cube if my life depended on it; however, I HAVE been adding a lot of custom merchant skins for inclusion in the game.
The problem is that some legal issues might come up with my work. Some of the companies that I am including in my mod (Esso, Matson, P&O) are not yet defunct. My understanding is that it wouldn't be legal to release mods including such brand names without permission if one intends to make a profit from them. I guess my upcoming mod will have to stay strictly as a free, third-party addition.
Beery

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I urge the makers of the following mods to get these mods submitted for consideration:

Navigation Map Cleaner by Tikigod.
Realistic sun graphic mod by Gunmod.
Less visible shortcuts bar mod by TimeTraveller.
Slide-out fuel/air/battery/CO2 gauge mod by TimeTraveller.
Small moon mod by Ailantd.
New wake graphic by Ailantd.
Navigation map tools mod by Jiim.
Readable compass dial mod by Ripbud.
Detailed Bearings mod by Jace11.
Flotilla mod by me.

If anyone on the development team is reading this, I think these mods are all essential for both casual and hardcore players alike. They all make the game better for everyone. I feel it would make the game so much more playable and interesting if everyone had access to these mods. I have copies of all these mods, so if developers are interested I can send them on. I'll definitely be submitting my Flotilla mod for consideration, as it simply extends 2nd Flotilla's availability back into 1939.
iambecomelife

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SH3 Developers are Looking for Mods. Reply with quote

Beery wrote:
The developers have sent word through the Subsim.com grapevine that they are putting the call out to the mod community for high-quality mods and 3D models for possible inclusion in a future version of the game. Here are the restrictions for 3D models:

For ships and planes, these are the restrictions:

Battleships - 35,000 poly

Destroyers - 25,000 poly

Merchants:

- 10,000 poly - small

- 15,000 poly - medium

- 20,000 poly - large

Planes - 3,500-4,000 poly

Did they just mention the creation of new units in passing or did that seem to be the main idea behind this invitation? It's a bit surprising that they're getting into specifics regarding submissions of 3d models when there aren't any tools yet for doing the necessary editing. Hopefully this is a sign they might release the SDK to the community (although that might be reading too much into it).
Jace11

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff.

They probably recognise how succesfull IL-2 was in incorporatimg 3rd Party work. You can't argue with that. Pacific fighters has a lot of 3rd Party stuff.

One possible problem with this is that people will do great work on things that are largely irrelevent. When you have a limited number of people who are any good at this kind of thing you can't make them work on things they don't want to. In IL-2 they had people working on Bearcats, Shooting stars, Zeros, Flying wings and god knows what other weird stuff before we got all the German and Russian Planes. Loss of direction, the need for new maps to incorporate the planes then followed.

I guess its up to the 3D people whether they make a Yamato a Gato or a Deustchland first. I know which I'd prefer.
Beery

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SH3 Developers are Looking for Mods. Reply with quote

iambecomelife wrote:
Did they just mention the creation of new units in passing or did that seem to be the main idea behind this invitation?

I wasn't sure either, so I asked. I got the impression that 3D models was just kinda what they were thinking about at the time, but they're open to anything.

Quote:
It's a bit surprising that they're getting into specifics regarding submissions of 3d models when there aren't any tools yet for doing the necessary editing. Hopefully this is a sign they might release the SDK to the community (although that might be reading too much into it).

Oh, we can only hope. My mouth started watering when you mentioned 3D editing tools, hehe. Anyway, I think the 3D model files are in a fairly commonly-used format, and as I recall they're not encrypted. It's just that commercial editing tools are expensive and so far the mod community hasn't had a 3D model-maker express serious interest in modding yet.
Beery

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace11 wrote:
One possible problem with this is that people will do great work on things that are largely irrelevent.

That is a possibility. But maybe the devs have seen how focused and professional this mod community is, and decided it's worth a go.

IL-2 has always seemed to me to be more of a casual player's simulation, so it's likely to draw less focused folks. It's kind of like MS Flight Simulator, where the mod community has absolutely no focus and chaos reigns.
Nilas

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: SH3 Developers are Looking for Mods. Reply with quote

Beery wrote:
The developers will add the best models in the game and the mod-makers will be added to credits in the special thanks section. Details of where to send the mods will follow.

Wow... you'll get your name in the special thanks section?
hmm.. how about some $$ on the table

..sorry just think all the talented modders here spending their time enhancing their game deserves alittle more than just "a special thanks" in the credit section is all Wink

!
Jace11

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, do you think this means that they plan on a long term series of patches like in Il-2. It would be pretty suspect if the community made 10 ships and the devs put them on an expansion disc. That may create problems. The only real way the could do this is by long term patch support? Anyone know?
Sulikate

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm in. It would be nice if the devs could specify better what models they need, but I'll attend the call whenever it comes, and model the future of SHIII! Argh (or IV)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Beery

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: SH3 Developers are Looking for Mods. Reply with quote

Nilas wrote:
..sorry just think all the talented modders here spending their time enhancing their game deserves alittle more than just "a special thanks" in the credit section is all Wink

I can only speak for myself, but I never asked for money for what I do. This is a hobby for me and the moment it turns into a paying job is the moment that it loses some of its charm for me. So I don't know if I'd want to be paid for what I do for fun..
darkdrone

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while making skins. mods etc can be fun and rewarding. laying down nearly 800 dollars (australian) for 3dsmax6 and then learing how to use it:huh: ,i know my pay check isn't that big, unless there intending to release some sort of freeware/shareware to the moddellers?
gonzman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more goodies sent in the merrier for us!

And for the devs, considering that's less work they have to do !
LukeFF

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beery wrote:
IL-2 has always seemed to me to be more of a casual player's simulation, so it's likely to draw less focused folks. It's kind of like MS Flight Simulator, where the mod community has absolutely no focus and chaos reigns.

While I tend to agree about the lack of organization with IL-2 mods, those who have submitted mods to Oleg are very focused and dedicated to their work, because Oleg will only accept highly accurate, detailed work. The chaos only really reared its ugly head with the Pacific Fighters addon. Ilya Shevchenko's coordination and communication with the 3rd-party modelers was very inadequate, to say the least (I modeled the He 162 cockpit for the AEP addon and thus had access to the modeler's only section at Netwings). Hopefully Ubi learned its lesson with that and has a better plan for 3rd-party models with SH3.
gouldjg

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beery wrote:
I urge the makers of the following mods to get these mods submitted for consideration:

Navigation Map Cleaner by Tikigod.
Realistic sun graphic mod by Gunmod.
Less visible shortcuts bar mod by TimeTraveller.
Slide-out fuel/air/battery/CO2 gauge mod by TimeTraveller.
Small moon mod by Ailantd.
New wake graphic by Ailantd.
Navigation map tools mod by Jiim.
Readable compass dial mod by Ripbud.
Detailed Bearings mod by Jace11.
Flotilla mod by me.

If anyone on the development team is reading this, I think these mods are all essential for both casual and hardcore players alike. They all make the game better for everyone. I feel it would make the game so much more playable and interesting if everyone had access to these mods. I have copies of all these mods, so if developers are interested I can send them on. I'll definitely be submitting my Flotilla mod for consideration, as it simply extends 2nd Flotilla's availability back into 1939.

Beery can I please ask you to suggest something like Wazoos nomograph tool aswell.

This tool has made the game come back to life for me. I did not want a calculator or pieces of paper to do the maths, so I had to rely on the stopwatch and best guestimates with regards to speed.

Since using this tool, I feel more competent. However as Wazoos has said, "we need some dev input with regards to the rounding issue. Here is his request:-

If I may jump on my soapbox for just a second here....

[PLEADING ON]

Devs..... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE modify the ruler tool to give running range readings down to 10 meters as well as remove the ridiculous 50 meter rounding issue/bug that all of us manual plotters have to deal with.

Using the nomograph makes the need for accurate ranging down to a 10 meter resolution even more important. I REALLY want to be able to use timings less than the magic 3 min 15 sec that, while highly accurate with the ruler tool we have, can sometimes seem like an AWEFULLY long time when a DD is bearing down on you. The shorter the timing of a target, the more important accurate distance between observation points becomes.

PLEASE.....

[PLEADING OFF]

Ok... I feel better....

Wazoo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: