Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Ahoy-no Time Compression-Expansion Pack-May1940
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must sleep in the same room as your computer. Hmmmm I guess I do not have the patence for real time all the time. :hmm:
holyspirit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achtung Englander wrote
Quote:

Wrratt you are either

a) unemployed
b) a student
c) mad

I think he's a mad unemployed student.
which rocks Rock
Bungo_Pete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wiat til he get's CTD'D I just had my first one a few minutes ago....................GOD DAMMIT! :down:
Wrratt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

 Before I start my log…. I will respond to a few of my fellow skipper’s comments… Wonderful sense of humor a bit crazy and odd has always been my personality. Why change now I’m over forty, at ease how I live and earn my living. I have been employed as a Rural Carrier since 1984, a job that has served me well. Would I enjoy A new lover right about now…you bet I would! Got an older sister in her late thirties early forties who looks nice, is a vegetarian, like myself, and lives in Danbury? I will be in port soon and looking for a good time, nudge nudge
 My home is a small cape style, so hearing the Watch Officer call out during my sleep is not a problem have some excited German calling out tends to wake a person who’s sleeping. I would say my gaming box is about 30feet from my bedroom and about 45 feet from the box I am using now to post this. My game box is a Falcon Northwest mach5 .
    XP pro CoolerMaster ATC-110 Extended ATX tower
    Enermax 450 watt power supply
    Asus P4C800 DDR/400 875p mob
    Intel P4 3.00Ghz/ 800 FSB
    Zalman P4 Cooler CNPS7000 Silent P4
    Corsair TwinX 512MB 3200LL-PT
    2 Western Digital WD360 36GB SATA RAID 0
    ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB
    Klipsch 5.1 speakers
    Sony 21 inch G520 Trinitron CRT

 now the one I’m posting with is an older Compaq from 1998…its taken a licking and has kept on clicking…But its still good enough for me to play Quake2 DM ,later today…I have been playing Q2 on and off since it came out ,it’s a great game…anyone here go to tasteyspleen or Kansas server ?Anyone remember Hand Of Doom server from New Orleans?
 Mostly I like to play FPS, DOOM3 is fantastic. The same with UT2004. Silent Hunter 3 is the first booting or Naval sim I have tried. I did not know of this Sub community for over my first three patrols (I’m in process of my 5th) I usually read Game things at planet doom or gamefaqs.com, and some one mentioned subsim as the more hard-core sub site. I don’t plan on doing my whole first career with not using time compression, I just did the first patrol and am in the process of doing my (5TH patrol) with no time compression.
 I have to admit that sailing more than shooting does have its down side. But I happen to like 12-meter yacht racing so the idea of doing 15 knots for hours really means the boot is covering kilometers of ocean.
 Right now game clock is 13:00 we sailed all through my sleep no contacts. U-49 is 108km from gridAN47 estimated time of arrival is 3 hours forty minuets. Has anyone been to the Firth of Forth? MY U-49 is not cowardly, its just we try to avoid all contact with man-o-wars unless order to do so. I did my first four patrols starting 1939, we have yet to be sited or pinged, closet enemy came was when we where 25km from Southend. We sank a C2 after we had spent two days sailing past V&W destroyers, a light cruiser and some Elco torpedo boats, and it seemed they all started closing in our soundman had 10 warship contacts closing in .I had the chief engineer move our boot about 80meter off the port side of the sunken C2.The water was very shallow so we didn’t move for several hours. Finally as the two V&Ws swept past, we slipped out ahead slow at first through the sound backwash of there screws. Then it was just a matter of slowly building speed, we surfaced 20 minuets later to get fresh air and to get more speed and to recharge the batteries before daybreak came .We slipped away totally safe and undetected….Ahoy and Keep yer decks awash!

Last edited by Wrratt on Tue May 17, 2005 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
John B. Mayes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My salute to you and your crew.

I know I don't have the dedication to try the game like that - (much less the patience). I love the game, but I've got to use some TC to get me in to action a bit quicker.

Way to go! Thumbs Up
Gruber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep telling yourself:

Its only a game, its only a game, its only a game Laughing Joking

"Not now, the Tommies have just spotted my sub ALARRRRRRM!"
Wrratt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

 Log Jan. 15th.1940 1:50. Forty-eight hours since leaving port. We have been patrolling our grid for over eight hours. All is quite. Perhaps the Bdu should try contacting some Vertrauensleute (spies who send information on convoys). We shall try to keep our sprits up after all it has only been two days sailing and only eight hours active hunting…. Kapitanleutnant Wrratt…
 ………What follows is an excerpt of Udo Hartenstein’s (Navigator) dairy
 ……. Die Überspringvorrichtung hat die meisten des Tages an seinem cubbyhole und an Schreibtisch aufgewendet und Diagramme, Schreiben und das Hoffen für ein Nachrichte
von Bdu oder vom Hydrophon überprüft. Er schien nicht unten hearted an unserem Mangel an Kontakten. Der Koch (wer alle wir Onkel Willie anrufen), fiel ein wundervolles Abendessen aus! Wie er, kochen Sie für rüber fünfzig von uns in solch einem kleinem sperren. Sein Sonntag an der Mitternachtüberspringvorrichtung bestellte vollen Anschlag für halbe Stunde. Er ließ Fritz das Grammophon spielen. Uns Ingruppen von 6 zugestehen, zu gehen oben auf die Brücke für eine Zigarette oder ein Rohr. Einige gingen oben gerade für etwas frische Nachtluft. Die Nacht ist so noch und ruhig, ist der Mond fast Hälfte-voll und Einwachsen. Die Musik frequentiert ein wenig, während sie unsere Aufladung füllt und den Schlag des Diesel und der Schraube ersetzt. Wie kann solch ein ruhiges Gefühl unter Krieg- und Bluthalle soviel bestehen? Ein anderes gutes Merkmal unserer Überspringvorrichtung ist, wenn er auf der Brücke ist, die er jeder unter informiertem hält von, was los oben ist. Eins der neuen crewmembers hat die Idee Ingrid, welches die Krankenschwester zurück an unserer Unterseite am Dockside Nude ist. Woher erhalten sie solche Ideen irgendwie?

 Translation…
 <b>.The skipper has spent most of the day at his cubbyhole and desk, checking charts, writing and hoping for an update from Bdu or the Hydrophone. He did not seem down hearted at our lack of contacts. The cook (who we all call Uncle Willie) turned out a wonderful dinner! How does he cook for over fifty of us in such a small space. Being Sunday at Midnight skipper ordered full stop for half an hour. He had Fritz play the gramophone. Allowing us in-groups of 6 to go up on the bridge for a cigarette or a pipe. Some went up just for some fresh night air. The night is so still and peaceful, the moon is nearly half-full and waxing. The music is somewhat haunting as it fills our boot and replaces the beat of the diesel and screw. How can such a peaceful feeling exist amongst so much war and blood shed? Another good trait of our skipper is when he is on the Bridge he keeps everyone below informed of what is going on above. One of the new crewmembers has the idea Ingrid the nurse back at our base will be at dockside nude. Where do they get such ideas anyway?</b>

Last edited by Wrratt on Mon May 16, 2005 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
XPav

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wrratt you are either

a) unemployed
b) a student
c) mad

Mad. Definitely. Rotfl

I think we should stage an intervention.
chrisell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Wrrat's other PC is flying in realtime from London to Sydney in Microsoft Flight Sim.

This is a great game, and a great sim. But time compression is there for a reason. Rotfl
Wrratt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Log Update Jan 17 1940,,,U-49 is glad to report grid AN47 is deviod of any shipping.We patroled our grid for over 28 hours and all was clear.How delightful the cruise has been its now over three full days sailing, and not one sighting.We are heading south towards the Channel, and hopefully I can still recall how to use the periscope and TDC....Ahoy....Wrratt ................................well I have to say running the game without TC is like having an interactive "screensaver" running....go outside garden for a hour or so, check the game....eat dinner and shower,check the game...I think it is safe to say this mission will be going on for more then one week,unless we are sunk or come across 14 ships in the next four days! Happy Hunting and Keep yer decks awash![/list]
WhiteW0lf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Kapitan of U-59 from HeadQuarters:

Effective Immediately you are being tracked by a spy vessel who is intent on taking your coding equipment, you need to immediately scuttle your boat, I say again you need to immediately scuttle your boat and off yourself.

Godspeed Kapitan and ensure none of your crew survives to enter enemy hands.
Wrratt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

 Log: Jan.17, 1940…The Watch Officer called out at 6:21 “,<B>Kapitän! Es gibt ein Schiff! Lager 000</B>”…I calmly put down my coffee (actually I hurried I haven’t seen a ship in days) and climbed up on the bridge…still dark, not yet twilight. I see it through the UZO…
 A “<I>Schlepperboot</I>”, dead ahead. OK not the best target to see after three days. But at least it was not a “<I>Kreuzerboot</I>” bearing down on us…I told the Helmsmen to “<I>Stoppen Sie langsam das Boot</I>”, und “<I>fünf Grad Steuerbord</i>”
 Next I had the Watch Officer assemble his gun crew on deck. I told him that this is a low threat target of opportunity, that only five High Explosive shells could be used.(please keep it out of your record, that I manned the gun myself). The first shell fell short and was fired at 2000Meters,the next two found their mark. I could not tell if the forth went over or in front of the now burning Schlepperboot. The fifth looks like it hit the boiler, because there was a catastrophic secondary explosion, moments later it slipped under the sea.6: 29 Grid#AN58 … Schlepperboot (unknown name British) 1139t
 Ps….Karl (Radio op) Was listening to the BBC since the Bdu doesn’t transmit much, and heard a joke, ”<B><I> Was ist braun und klingt wie eine Glocke</I></b>?”……………….”<b><I>Dung</I></b>!”…….Ahoy Wrratt

Last edited by Wrratt on Mon May 16, 2005 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cpt_Sponge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy Kapitn Wrratt

Good job! I think it is really cool! Keep it up, but be sure to use your shore leave to the maximum Wink

Argh be careful! there be pirates where ur sailin!
Wrratt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

 Log Jan 17, 1940.Today was a good day .We headed due east after sinking the tug. I went to bed and was abruptly awoken after three hours sleeping. 12:17Watch Officer had spotted a Tribal Destroyer long range 233 degrees, closing fast. WE went to periscope depth…We might get a shot at her, the crews scrambles into the forward torpedo room peak the attack periscope up range is 3900…to far away flank speed and draw down the scope…a few moments later up scope and a head slow…dead ahead but no time for a shot…all stop, and down scope…slowly turn 90 degrees away and ahead slow, silent run for the next 10 minutes…
 .Log 14:07 Watch reports warship closing fast…and over the next hour, we see two armed trawlers and two Tribal Destroyers doing patrol in gridAN72…they are not actively looking for us so we keep on our course.
 Log 15:18 I can hear faint sound of screw at 330degrees…we stay periscope depth still way to much daylight for surface running…15:26 SO reports warship closing fast…all stop…in very shallow water…I look at battery used first fifth, diesel still about 75% …we let another Tribal go by as we safely moved on ………
 Log 16:58 SO reports merchant 8 degrees moving slow
 17:10 the helmsmen has moved us to within 2200 meters. Ahead slow and began to move to intercept her course. Hopefully, while we are still moving we can shoot and move before any of the nearby ships(mot close at all, not even on the horizon) can respond…Double check that the first tube fired is number three Electric slow surface impact only…then number one tube Steam fast surface impact only
 17:16 still cant spot her on the horizon, so we slow down and I push the scope up a bit higher…there she is closing slow…this will be a nice shot dead ahead at about 575 meters, but we have to creep along at 1 knot as to not over run the 500 meter mark. Time seemly slows to a crawl… tick, tick,…
 17:20 seems like two hours…approximately 575 meters…has time frozen???…
 17:21 tube three is fired at her stack, tube one, rear mast…order ahead full 10 degrees to port….25 seconds later the electric strikes her starboard side followed quickly by number two it hits and the ship sinks
 17:23 Small Merchant 2404tonnes in the shallows of Grid AN 72… We put her smoking grave 180 degrees behind us and her between us and the last known whereabouts of the warships south of the wreck….We ran submerged till 19:50 …
 21:00 The WO called out ship spotted,bearing313,he has good eyes because I could not see it, when I came up on the bridge…She is moving at medium speed and we are sailing ahead full…it will be a close try we are already on a tack to cross her bow, so it will be our first surface attack at flank speed…the diesel willing speeds us onwards and the watch calls out the bearing as the men in the conning tower set there TDC data. I call out fire two, at 1900meters we fired one seconds later. We came to a stop to wait…The first fish found its mark and we destroyed an enemy unit, we don’t know what happened to the second fish .I could have fired to late and it passed the aft of the merchantship…
 We sent our report to the Bdu, 3 ships sunk 10 torpedoes remain no word back from them yet…We have had a glorious day the crew is topnotch and in fine sprits …Neptune has given us smooth as glass seas, perhaps Mars will grant us bigger game to hunt…Ahoy,Wrratt….ps thanks for the encouraging words and even the discouraging ones too : P

Last edited by Wrratt on Mon May 16, 2005 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhiteW0lf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just busting your balls wratt due to the fact I am reading your Captains journal daily, when you have entries that is. I wish I had the time (And no family to bother me) so I could do the same as you, it sounds very interesting and you are definitely a true to life Captain now, good for you.

I do take my boat all the way out and all the way back into port as well as stop for real time sunrises and sunsets as well as checked the stars after reading your journal in here about them adn was astonished to see that it is a true night sky.

Good Work Captain. You could easily write a book like real life after this.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: