Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Silent Hunter 4 announced!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torplexed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptJodan wrote:
I guess I'll just have to get used to those ugly American boats again. (I'm American, don't worry)

Awww. Poor ugly duckling US subs. Just not as aggressive looking as those sleek German U-Boats. Plus, playing as a US sub skipper in the Pacific it seems your greatest enemy is your own Torpedo Bureau, not the Japanese. Wink

Schatten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Romor has it that it will be the same graphics engine....

That's actually good news from my point of view, SH III looks very fine as it is, or as it will be I should say after some skinners get a handle on doing new high res ones for the game. The reason why I think it's good news is that it would indicate to me that they'll go to the PTO for SH IV as it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to redo the Battle of the Atlantic in the same engine. If you do a different theatre or era you can get away with using the same graphics, if you're doing a full bore redeux then it would make much more sense to turn the eye candy up to 11 to convince people they aren't buying the same game twice.

Since I like the Pacific a lot that guess makes me happy since it points to going to the PTO for SH IV.

Also it makes me wonder if they wouldn't go the IL-2 series' FB/AEP/PF route and find a way to do a merged install of the two sims into one. Looking through the mission editor and seeing the "merge" button makes me think that that wouldn't be impossible and may be part of a master plan. If so that's good news for everyone with SH III covering the Atlantic/Med and SH IV covering the Pacific/Indian Oceans in detail. Using those two as a core they could then do addons like an expansion pack(s) for the Italians, British, Japanese, Soviet, etc. subs and have them all work in the same dynamic campaign, just all merged together.

That would breathe some more life into MP as well for people that insist that MP at its finest is always against a human opponant. I disagree somewhat with that since I'm very fond of coop MP play, but it'd be an option to have British and German subs fighting in the Med or American and Japanese ones in the Pacific.

Since SH III has seemingly been doing very well in sales that could definately kick it up a notch from a "sequel" to a "franchise" and publishers really like that. So do we since if it went down like that we'd get basically an all inclusive WWII submarine sim once all the parts are locked together.

That keeps the money rolling in, which keeps the publisher happy, which allows the development team to keep working. All around winning situation if you ask me. As Ubisoft also publishes the Maddox flight sims that use the merged installation model they're used to it now and see that it can work so...that may be where all of this is going. I really hope so. And if the sub "angle" moves enough units they can get more on the edge of the envelope and maybe start bringing in surface unit elements in addon packs. Kind of what originally was envisioned with SH II but with a rock solid foundation to build on instead of an almost simultaneous release of SH II and Destroyer Command which sort of diluted interests around to some degree.

Then again I'm primarilly a flight simmer so I may be seeing things from another angle than the primarilly naval sim guys, but I have played sub sims going back to the original Silent Hunter on the C-64 so I'm not totally befuddled by them. Some people would squak about having to buy addons but if you really want the British or Italian subs in the same campaign it's better to have to pony up the scratch for an expansion pack than lament for years and years until some company finally decides the world is ready for a dedicated mini-sub sim which would attract maybe 5% of the potential overall sub market.

Sorry for the excessively long (especially for a first post after longtime lurking) post but that's how I see things, and if SH IV uses the same graphics engine I see it as a plus and not a minus.
Stary Wuj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They should be putting their efforts into another Destroyer Command to do MP missions against SH3 and quit worrying about comming out with something about the same time SH3 will be fully bug free, modded and patched out. "

Great Idea !!!!
Graphic engine is very good, and new Destroyer Command
with patched SH3 .............. Rock

But UBISOFT need money, not Your opinions.........

Best Regards

Stary Wuj
csengoi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say they should stay at Atlantic theatre in SH4, and they should release an add on to SH3 with Pacific theatre... Isn't it good idea?
Mongoose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torplexed wrote:
CaptJodan wrote:
I guess I'll just have to get used to those ugly American boats again. (I'm American, don't worry)

Awww. Poor ugly duckling US subs. Just not as aggressive looking as those sleek German U-Boats. Plus, playing as a US sub skipper in the Pacific it seems your greatest enemy is your own Torpedo Bureau, not the Japanese. Wink

I think they were fine-looking vessels. I think those who served on them would have appreciated the elbow room, the air conditioning, the ice-cream machine. I'll bet there were a few choice words about the early-war torpedos, though. Joking
XXi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there`s one thingie in the PAcific Campaign I don`t like that much. Quite opposite to the Ubootkrieg, it is getting easier and easier with the war progress, with dud torpedoes as the enemy No 1.

IN the Atlantic it begins easily, but then you start fighting for your life.
schurem

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a good point there, but the pacific really needs redoing imo
hunter301

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Stary Wuj Wrote:
Great Idea !!!!
Graphic engine is very good, and new Destroyer Command
with patched SH3 ..............

But UBISOFT need money, not Your opinions.........

They have my money when I bought SH3 and they'll have more if they come out with a DC companion. I would definately be willing to pay full price for it. As long as it's not as "buggy" as the first one was.

BTW... Forums are for opinions.

Have a nice day! Laughing
Agrippa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: SH 4 Reply with quote

Personally, I'd prefer the Pacific. This may sound odd to a submarine warfare enthusiast, but I'm getting a bit tired of the Atlantic, and frankly I'm not sure how they could improve on SH III.

Someone mentioned being able to use other boats, British, Russian, Japanese. If I had my wish, there'd be a game that allows you to play WWII as a sub captain in any navy you want (the russion campaign might be a bit boring--perhaps there could be a hypothetical campaign where Russia is at war with Japan). But I suppose adding all those boats, then adding all the merchant and warships of just about every navy in the world at the time, would just be too much.

So if Ubi is listening to me (which I doubt they are), I'd just be happy with going back to the Pacific. The original silent hunter doesn't work on my computers anymore (DOS games tend to freeze up constantly). It's odd, because I got the original Silent Hunter free when buying another game (I think it was Fighting Steel, by SSI), and ended up playing SH far more than the game I actually paid for.
Chooky88

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the French? They had some bizarre ideas, like big bloody naval guns in an airtight pod when submerged. (They lost a sub when someone forgot to shut the door)

WW1 would be grand, or even a 1950's Hot War between US and Russia, low tech nukes radar and other cold war toys,

I agree with two ideas. PAcific gets easier and I personally got a little bored with sinking Junks and the odd PT boat in 45, and we need a change from the Atlantic.

Of course theres the Indian Ocean, biggest allied Sub Base in WW2 was in Fremantle WA. Dutch, US, American British and Aussie.
Torplexed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongoose wrote:
I think they were fine-looking vessels. I think those who served on them would have appreciated the elbow room, the air conditioning, the ice-cream machine. I'll bet there were a few choice words about the early-war torpedos, though. Joking

Oh...I agree. Smile Just giving the old Gato a bad time.

I wouldn't mind revisting the Pacific. After all it was the only successful submarine anti-shipping campaign in history. The last dedicated sim on this subject was SH1 in 1996 so it seems overdue. The Pacific Aces mod for SH2 was a great effort tho. Just not looking forward to that long transit time from Pearl or Fremantle to the patrol area. Thank goodness for TC....

Not sure about a WW1 sim. I believe most subs in that conflict were lost to mines and nets. Plus, you would have to come up with some way to simulate the Kaiser's on-again, off-again attitude towards unrestricted submarine warfare.

Would love to see RN subs in the Med covered too someday. Love those stubby "U" class subs. Not too long of a trip to the patrol zones there either Smile
Mongoose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chooky88 wrote:
What about the French? They had some bizarre ideas, like big bloody naval guns in an airtight pod when submerged. (They lost a sub when someone forgot to shut the door)

WW1 would be grand, or even a 1950's Hot War between US and Russia, low tech nukes radar and other cold war toys,

I agree with two ideas. PAcific gets easier and I personally got a little bored with sinking Junks and the odd PT boat in 45, and we need a change from the Atlantic.

Of course theres the Indian Ocean, biggest allied Sub Base in WW2 was in Fremantle WA. Dutch, US, American British and Aussie.

Hey, you just reminded me that there was a torpedo left behind as a park exhibit somewhere in Fremantle. Not sure what type it is, but I must get down there sometime and get a photo or two for the forum. I think it was an American torp.

Torplexed wrote:
Just not looking forward to that long transit time from Pearl or Fremantle to the patrol area. Thank goodness for TC....

Heh! I can imagine the cries of "BORING" from those who prefer a more arcade style game. I don't mind the long transits...if you could simply jump to your patrol zone it would just not feel right.

Hmmm...how about some immersion ploys to break up the trip? Like mechanical problems, or crew accidents/injuries/illness? I guess it could get pretty bogged down though.:hmm:

Last edited by Mongoose on Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZaphodB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with the pro-DCII faction Wink
Chooky88

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongoose, u just gotta change your text colour mate, have to highlight it just to read it! lol
XanderF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCII would be awesome....but not *JUST* ASW work. Read up on Narvik and the general battles around Norway some time. Heck, even the attack on the DKM Bismarck had destroyers playing a role.

Especially given how fun the deck gun is in SHIII - I'd really like a chance to command a destroyer and get a wider use of its weapons than just hunting subs. Doing a torpedo run on the Scharnhorst....engaging in knife fights with German destroyers in the frozen Norwegian fjords....defending the Malta convoys against attacks from the cruisers and destroyers of Mussolini's Regia Marina....etc

Destroyers were very much the workhorses of the fleets, it'd be fun to play a game that showcased their role better.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: