Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Any good modern sub novels?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R48

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Any good modern sub novels? Reply with quote

I've read most of Clancy's stuff and I know Larry Bond has a sub novel coming out this summer. Are there any good sub novels that you know of?
Enigma65

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good modern sub novels? Reply with quote

R48 wrote:
I've read most of Clancy's stuff and I know Larry Bond has a sub novel coming out this summer. Are there any good sub novels that you know of?

Larry Bond has a new sub novel coming out? Excellent! I've been looking for some decent stuff myself and do like his style and talent. Rock

About two weeks ago, I picked up a book titled Rising Tide: The Untold Story of the Russian Submarines That Fought the Cold War. It is not really a novel but more of a short history. I have not read it yet but it did look good enough to convince me to purchase it. Authors are Gary Weir and Walter Boyne.
OneShot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Robinson did some interesting books ...
- Nimitz Class
- Kilo Class
- H.M.S. Unseen
- Seawolf
- The Shark Mutinity

Personally I would only read the first three of them listed again, but thats just my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Robinson's early books like 'Nimitz Class' 'Kilo Class' and 'HMS Unseen' were good IMHO.

Also I enjoyed H. J. Riker's 'Seawolf Class' (he has written two other subs books)

Of course there is Non-Fiction which is sometimes more amazing than a Fiction book when dealing with Submraines.

"Spy Sub: Top-Secret Mission to the Bottom of the Pacific" by Roger C. Dunham

"Hostile Waters" and "October Fury" by Peter Huchthausen

and who can forget 'Blind Mans Bluff' Wink
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin White's "Typhoon" is a definite must-read, IMO.

Also, Mark Joseph's "To Kill the Potemkin" and "Typhoon" (not the same as White's) are worth looking for... they're out of print, so you'll have to get it from a used book seller (I got mine through Amazon).
Black_Dingo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, you guys havent heard of Micheal DiMercurio!?!?!?

Out of all the current modern sub authors, he stands above the pack. Patrick Robinson's novels are so full of errors and racism, its a wonder he doesnt get death threats. I tried reading USS Seawolf, and his blatant racism about Chinese/Asians was overwhelming.....couldnt finish it.

Try DiMercurio, im sure you might be surprised. His signature work, Voyage of the Devilfish is amazing. Im currently working through Emergency Deep, his newest. very, very good stuff. and anyone that has played 688i/SC/DW will have no trouble following the tech-jargon. DiMercurio is a former US Navy officer, graduate of the US Naval Academy and spent time serving aboard a Sturgeon Class attack boat during the cold war. I'd say that qualifies him to write some pretty damn good bubblehead books if you ask me.
Snakeeyes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Robin White's Typhoon.

Rising Tide

Rig Ship for Ultra Quiet

Crazy Ivan
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black_Dingo wrote:
OMG, you guys havent heard of Micheal DiMercurio!?!?!?

Try DiMercurio, im sure you might be surprised. His signature work, Voyage of the Devilfish is amazing. Im currently working through Emergency Deep, his newest. very, very good stuff.

DiMercurio's early novels were good, but his later ones go overboard with 'science-fiction' subs & technology. Not my cup of tea. I read Emergency Deep, didn't think much of it at all. I wrote a plot summary in the Subsim 'Books, Films, Models' forum if you want to know why I didn't like it.... :down:
R48

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Bond's new book will be called "Dangerous Ground" a more fitting title might be "Dangerous Waters". Laughing
Thor98

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Bill (if it is allowable to agree with the "Guru") that DiMercurio has gone overboard on the "science Fiction" to the point that he has inaccuracies in the books that he should know the right answer from his time on Hammerhead. Basically his basic submarining has gotten sloppy. I'm not saying they're bad books, from a ficiton standpoint they're fine, not quite HFRO (Hunt for Red October) they're still better than a lot of books I've read.

If you want better submarine fiction (still with lots of science fiction) check out Joe Buff. Sure he's a little far fetched but the plot lines are enthrauling and I've kept reading when I should be sleeping.

Check out "joebuff.com" if you're interested.

and NO I'm not Joe Buff.

But can any book about submarines be entirely bad? Rock
U-Dog

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Joe Buff, reading Crush Depth & it's a good read.
(tho i wouldn't know about any inaccuracies & it's a future setting)

Hope to check out some of the other recommendations.

Neutral\
bradclark1

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the story line of Typhoon then?

Brad
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i read a factual book kursk time to die but i recomend rising tide al though i havnt read it yet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw in my own thoughts about DiMercurio's works... These are great books to sit back and enjoy. Sure they're full of errors and off the wall situations. (ie phoinex sub zero... that sub just would'nt die ) :doh:

Anyways I'd suggest just reading DiMercurio's first 4 books and thats it, dont go any further! It hurts bad Damn

I can't stress this enough though, if you are interested in the genre read Red Storm Rising right now. Nothing comes close to what it dipicts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can i get hostile waters from ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: