Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

The U-Boat: The Evolution and Technical History.....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: The U-Boat: The Evolution and Technical History..... Reply with quote

Alright gave the search tool a go and did'nt get the results I was looking for. Does anyone own this book?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0304361208/qid=1111773157/sr=1-19/ref=sr_1_19/104-4603055-8898302?v=glance&s=books

And if so is it the best of the best as far as technical development is concerned? See I'm more or less after a book that details why the boats evolved the way they did.

Anyways before I order I just wanna be sure I'm making a good investment...

Thanks,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrankyFrank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the plunge and ordered it last week. I hope it's good! but the reviews seem to suggest it does.
Bertgang

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an italian translation of this book, and I think that it's really interesting; never found a better one, speaking for technical side.

It's focused on tech informations, on why and when german subs were made that way; informations about some aborted german projects too, but no room for immersive war tales.
msxyz

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eberhard Rossler is a real guru on the topic.

I've a couple of books written by him and they're incredible sources of technical details!

If you happen to find the "Vom original zum modell" series buy it on the spot! Truckloads of original building plans, detailed schematics and never seen before photos. :8Cool
Hellcat

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ordered it a few weeks back from amazon.ca, but it wont be shipping until mid june....... :zzz:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow just recieved the book yesterday, well worth the wait and the price. Just to be clear guys this book is comperhesive but at the same time not dry reading. So many profile drawings, I am a bit disapointed at the lack of 3d crossections however it is not really a big deal considering the detail given on the models and construction. This has to be the book to own about U-Boats.

Now to save some more dough for "Cold War Submarines"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: