Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

SH3 Tech and Troubleshooting Index
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenos wrote:
Hi guys, I'm sorry if this has been posted before.

When I load up the game and try and start a new mission/savegame/career, whatever, the HUD appears but the screen is black with the words "Game Paused". However, the TC is locked on 0 (the number is orange) so I can't speed up the game. SHIII worked well for the 5 or so days I had been playing it before. If there's no workaround for this could you tell me how to back up my character and profile (I don't particularly want to re-do Naval Academy again) so I can re-install? Thanks.

I had the game working for a while and then I had the same thing happen to me. I uninstalled, reinstalled, tried various patch levels but nothing worked. Finally it turns out it's a problem with StarForce, the copy-protection software for Silent Hunter. To fix it I unistalled the game, ran StarforceClean (http://www.larian.com/riftrunner/support/SFclean.zip) and reinstalled again. - Bingo, no more "Game Paused" madness. Just another case of copy protection only serving to annoy the legitimate buyer of a game. Hope this works for you as well!
gordonmull

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Crashes when the periscope gets splashed. Reply with quote

Hi all,

When the periscope gets wet and goes blurry, on "up periscope" or in rough weather, the graphics slow down and a crash occurs that freezes the whole computer. It happens on any time compression. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed this since I am having trouble isolating a pattern with it...sometimes I'll load the game up and no slowdown and sometimes it slows down. This is with the same background programmes running etc.

My specs are:
Windows XP Service pack 2
AMD Athalon 1994 MHz
512K RAM
RADEON 9500 Graphics card
DasNemesis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I think I have a new problem for you. Couldn't seem to find it in any other threads. After the past couple of missions, while in-base, I can't acces the box with my medals in it, nor can I do anything with the boat. I can get to the crew management screen and some of the logs, but nothing else. I also noticed when I go to start a mission that my assigned grid is 'NULL'. Any idea what's going on?? Thanks!
kiwi_2005

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bug, now that i read yours for i only thought i had this problem. I found to fix it for me was to start a new campaign and dont choose Kiel as my starting base, You should only get NULL if you stopped at a friendly port that is not your base. So if your base is kiel but you returned to Wehelmshaven base instead then you wont be able to access your Uboat only the crew, you then have to leave and return to your base. This is what NULL is for. But now i notice that NULL pops up even when returning to the proper base??? My proper base was KIEL.
I started a new campaign and choose Wehelmshaven and haven't got the problem since.
jrotaetxe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: random CTD every time I play Reply with quote

Hello all:

I do not know is this is related with the well known "automatic crew management" bug, but I'm having CTD's in a random frequency while playing my career. Those CTD's are more common when I'm managing my crew "one by one".
I'm using an ATI X300 with catalyst drivers, an Intel CPU 3,2, 1 Gb RAM, XP SP2.
Any help is welcome, cause I really like this game.
MidgetSub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response to GordonMull:

I have also seen the problem with the periscope transitioning through the water as it is being raised... and the system slows way down to a crawl. I can eventually get out of the periscope screen by typing a keyboard command to go directly to another screen. Seeing this transition on another system (which works), I think it may have to do with the water effect on the lens of the periscope (a graphics issue). On the system where I see this system slow-down, I am using DirectX 9.0b (rather than the recommened 9.0c). It is on a laptop (XP, SP2) with 768MB mem and an nVida fx5600-Go. Other than this issue, the game seems to run fine.

It is the DirectX version and the laptop display drivers that I list as my primary suspect.
gordonmull

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midgetsub,

Cheers for the reply. Thumbs Up I had directX 9c installed before but have just upgraded to 768 MB RAM which seems to have cleared it up....so far.

EDIT: Seems it only temporarily cleared up but just in case anyone else is having this problem see:

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=40897

This has fixed the issue.

Last edited by gordonmull on Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
himmelreiter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: resolved bugs Reply with quote

Hi Neal

There are more resolved topics: see quoted items below.

Himmelreiter

Neal Stevens wrote:
Nvidia spray issue RESOLVED with nVidia drivers 77.77
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=29518

[b]
MidgetSub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonMull:

I am glad your scope issue "cleared up". This last weekend I upgraded my old DX 9.0b drivers (for nVidia FX5600 go - laptop) with new version 80.40 drivers (DX 9.0c).

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7427

And, gosh, they worked! Now I can use the periscope as it was meant to be used! (no more slowing down to a crawl when the scope lens transitioned through the surface of the water).

At this poiint, it seems all aspects of SH3 are working now (I have 768 MB memory).
Ula Jolly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: HELP! Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems with SH before, but for the last months there've been a few issues with the graphics...

The game will, every few seconds, lag. Just kinda jump! Nothing very serious, but definitely noticable, especially in external view.

Got a nifty lil' laptop:
Inspiron 6000
1024 Mb RAM, 1.6 GHz, ATI Radeon X300, 128 Mb.
Is this enough? Didn't I hear something about problems with ATI...?
Skubber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solving:

A couple of people reported various problems/odd crashes with patches up to version 1.3

Strongly advise a complete uninstall, then patching to version 1.4b over a CLEAN install.
(This fixed some save-CTD's, time-compression CTD's, and crew-shifting CTD's for me.)

Patch here:
http://www.silent-hunteriii.com/uk/home.php

Couple obvious things to double-check first:
-Make sure your video card meets game reqirements
-Make sure your DVD drive/burner is working normally
-Make sure you choose the right patch for your situation (i.e. european/us version)

Also recommend not attempting to play the game before you patch.
And for what it's worth, I chose NOT to install Gameshadow.

If this doesn't work, you could also try the "clean out Starforce first" approach posted earlier in this thread.
Heibges

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue: In Saved Careers, Uboat Type is overwritten for all saves with default starting Uboat Type.

For example: I started a career in 1942 with a Type VII with Type 3 Conning Tower. After saving and coming back to reload, all saves for this career, except for the one After Patrol One, appear as Type IIa.

????
Heibges

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever is corrupting the saves in this case is altering the Main.cfg file.

This is from my Main.cfg in the SH3 folder in My Documents. Notice that the Submarine Type and Submarine Version has been changed to 0 and the name has been erased.

[PLAYER]
Name=G-W Schulz
Rank=10
Experience=0.000000
Renown=0.000000
RenownNavalAcademy=0.000000
NrOff=4
Patrols=0
ShipsSunk=0
TorpedoesFired=0
TotalTonnage=0
SubmarineType=0
SubmarineVersion=0
SubmarineName=
SubmarineEmblem=No
SubmarineEmblemIdx=-1
NrPettyOff=14
NrSeamen=16
CurrentYear=0
LastMission=Data/SingleMissions/Test/Test.mis
Careers=1
Etienne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't patch up to 1.2. The first patch came in fine (Once I got the US version, because I'm an idiot)... Then 1.2, 1.3, 1.4b, nada. I get the "unknown version" of missionengine.dll or de_menu.txt... Tried with both the US and AMEA version. Not working.
Gizzmoe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etienne wrote:
I can't patch up to 1.2. The first patch came in fine (Once I got the US version, because I'm an idiot)... Then 1.2, 1.3, 1.4b, nada. I get the "unknown version" of missionengine.dll or de_menu.txt... Tried with both the US and AMEA version. Not working.

You only need patch 1.4b, it includes all previous changes. Apply it to a fresh installation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: