Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

SH3 Tech and Troubleshooting Index
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
08x15

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Is Game Shadow needed? Is it safe to delete? Reply with quote

I have this Game Shadow application installed that came in SH3. Do I need it to play the game? Is it safe to delete from my PC? Its log indicates it is not in use at all. It does not seem to do anything.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a program that links directly to (I think) UBI, and gives you game updates. I say "I think" because I deleted it a long time ago and never really read what it does.

My observation is no, it doesn't hurt a thing to remove it from your computer.
oki5

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Can I create multiple (at least one other) installs?? If yes, how?

2. When hitting the escape key I am regularly thrown to desktop, what is wrong???

Would be grateful for some advice.......

(XP, 1.3, various addons)

oki
Duke of Earl

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated to 1.2... now all my 3D images are stuttering.. image jumps about 7 - 8 fps in medium to short range views... anyone else having this problem?...

I haven't changed any settings because I did not have this problem until I updated to 1.2...

I'm running Win XP SP2, Nvidia FX5700, Soundblaster, 1024 DDR, AMD Athlon 3000, Asus MB, DirectX 9.0C, latest non-beta AGP drivers, etc, etc....

I think I resolved this problem.. I turned off the S2k heat proggie running in the background.. that seemed to stop the stuttering... I think I'll have to change the bus divisors from 128 to 64 and see if I still get 3D stuttering.. I really do need the heat relief..

Cordialement, Duke of Earl
SgtWalt65

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Kernel.dll fault and CTD issue after patch 1.3 Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am not sure if this has been discussed yet, but here it goes.
I can do a clean install of SHIII and patch it to 1.3 and play the game ( once ) and all is fine. Save the game and exit and try and restart and it goes to the movie in game ( I can remove the movie and or skip it and the same result ) and the game CTD's with a kernel.dll fault with the kernel.dll file ( dated Feb. 10, 2005, size 448 kbs ) thats in the game folder. It want repair either and I have to do a complete uninstall including all the save game files and reinstall, only to get the crash again after the 1st save. Happens either modded or unmodded.
I have all the latest WHQL drivers from creative labs, and NVidia as well as Microshaft ( Microsoft ). I checked this before I posted here just to make sure...lol

Any ideas?

It didn't do this pre 1.3 patch. Game was fine in 1.1 and 1.2 patches.

System specs,

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
Memory: 1Gig RAM ( Mushkin CAS 2-2-2 Extreme Hi Performance RAM DDR2 3200 )

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
Manufacturer: NVIDIA / MSI
GeForce 6800 Ultra
Integrated RAMDAC
256.0 MB RAM
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX910
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7189 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 Audio
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0441 (English)

Drives:
All are Windows NTFS File System

C: 200 GB Western Digital Special Edition HD 8mb Buffer 7200RPM

D: 100 GB Western Digital Special Edition HD 8mb Buffer 7200RPM
( D: Drive is windows OS and related systems only seperated from all the others for security ).

E: 200 GB Western Digital Special Edition HD 8mb Buffer 7200RPM
( Game Drive )

F: TDK CDRW321040X

G: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A

H: Reserved ( Motherboard did this for some reason )

I: Reserved ( Motherboard did this for some reason )

J: Reserved ( Motherboard did this for some reason )

K: 73 GB Ultra320 SCSI Cheetah 10K.7, attached too a Adaptec 29320-R Ultra320 controler.
( Game Drive )

L: 73 GB Ultra320 SCSI Cheetah 10K.7, attached too a Adaptec 29320-R Ultra320 controler.
( Game Drive )
oki5

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boba Fett wrote:
while he loads the game (ver 1.2) the loading progress bar gets to about half way and the game crashes to the desktop. When he manage to load it successfully and he starts playing (i.ex. a Patrol), then if he tries to save the game (presses ESC) it crashes to desktop also. He has tried changing the size of swap file, but it hasn't changed much. He hasn't had such problems with ver. 1.0.
Any help and/or advices are welcome.

Thank you!
Cheers

.....reading this gives me some relief: I have the same problem: CTD when trying to save the game or at least exit the game in a orderly way. I never managed to save a mission or campaign, because I am regularly thrown to desktop when hitting the escape key. I have no idea what the reason could be, but that way the game is practically unplayable. It only happened after settting up the 1.3 patch.

If nobody has an idea, I reinstall and get back to 1.2 (would be a bit disappointing...)

oki
oki5

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have re-installed the clean, basic game from the cd plus the 1.3 patch and all problems regarding saving games are gone. I am currently feeding in add-on files from various checking after each step. If that works I am done, if not I will at least know what screwed my game up.

I conclude from this that the clean game (incl the patches) has no serious bugs (at least not on my system) and my problems with the escape key were homemade (a bad install?).

oki
oki5

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have re-installed the clean, basic game from the cd plus the 1.3 patch and all problems regarding saving games are gone. I am currently feeding in add-on files from various checking after each step. If that works I am done, if not I will at least know what screwed my game up.

I conclude from this that the clean game (incl the patches) has no serious bugs (at least not on my system) and my problems with the escape key were homemade (a bad install?).

oki
gordonmull

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: 1.3 patch doing some funny things. Reply with quote

Alrighty folks?

Can't suss out how to remove a post I put up while ago while perplexed that SH3 had disapperaed off my disk. Anyway the DVD drive was broken. Sorry bout that Embarassed .

So i got a new drive and I re-installed SH3 after the uninstall when the drive went crazy. Then with fingers trembling with excitement I went to play God's gift to man for the first time in ages and stopped myself - better patch it first...such restraint.

I downloaded and went to patch to V 1.3 and I got the following message: "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:06fc IP:feee OPfe0 24 00 00 Choose "Close" to terminate the application Damn . The patch was downloaded from the official download site through ubisoft's mirror and the weird thing is that it refuses to delete from the desktop - just says it's in use by another program. I've tried rebooting but the same thing happens - just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. I'm going to get in touch with ubisoft too but I've never found their tech support the most reliable so....

Anyway 'scuse my rambling Rolling Eyes my system is up to spec to play the game and I had no probs with the 1.2 patch. Any help would be really, really appreciated.
Drebbel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close down all not needed programs and services (check the processes tab in ctrl-alt-delete) and then try deleting it.

Or boot to safe mode and then try deleteing it.
log2000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Could some one fill me in please, I have the "Cannot Initialize 3D Engine" after intro clip. I have refreashlock enabled, Nvidia 7.1.89 drivers and the desktop is set at 1024X768 and still cant get past this error post.

I am running a ASUS SLI board with 1 gig memory and a 6600GT expressPCI card dumping into a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV through a DVI input.

I have been at this for some time, Tech support is useless. Damn
gordonmull

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your help Drebbel Reply with quote

Cheers mate tried the safe mode but it didn't work and the process thing took a while and was scary since I didn't really know which processes to end without the pc crashing. My gf finally got rid of it for me Embarassed with the tune up utilities shredder and the new 1.3 download worked this time. Anyway thanks for your help...it is appreciated! Thumbs Up
radal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new and encounted a problem when in SH3, it was after I loaded up the museum I had the problem. When I tried to change countries for the ships, my computer restarts, it won't let me go from American (default ship) to another one. I don't know why its happening.

On a further note, when its night time, is the moon supposed to have a big black box around it (kinda like its fake?), not that its a big deal (meaning, I could live with it), maybe its my graphics card or something.

Thanks in advance.
Drebbel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second post of this thread lists a possible solution for the moon thing. Did you read that ?
Johnny D'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Crash to desktop Reply with quote

Orange wrote:
OldManEmu wrote:
I'm using an ATI 9600XT card.I switched from Omega drivers to the ATI catalyst (latest) drivers.Still get this error message.It's been 4 days now and still can't play this game.

One of my buddy just got the game today and he has a ATI 9600XT aswell and he crashes to desktop midway trough the first red loading bar after the 2 little movies. He has latest directX and I just made him switch to latest catalyst 5.3 but that didnt help either. Only he doesnt get any error messages, just CTD. Its not the saved mission thingy mentionned before on this forum as he cant get in the game in the first place.
Confused

Hi I'm having the same problem. Did you find how to fix it?
All help welcome. I'm running Radeon 9200 with all updates
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: