Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Dangerous Waters sound effects mod [SA reply re: Music mod]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mod Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finiteless

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambient Sound Mod for DW released.

Description:
---------------
Detailed stereo ambient sound mod for SCS Dangerous Waters. designed for all platforms in DW, and works in conjunction with the DW music. To alter the volume level of the installed ambience mod adjust the 'Music' slider within DW's options. Known issues: none

EDIT: now available from the Subguru site download section.
http://www.subguru.com/

- enjoy

(dial-up downloads not recommended)

Last edited by finiteless on Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
porphy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I'm downloading now. You are really plugging away on mod work these day Finiteless, thanks Thumbs Up

Cheers Porphy
Snakeeyes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Finiteless,

Are the three levels of the audio (norm, high, ehigh) designed by Sonalysts for those who want to change their audio settings? If I only play on extremely high can I simply download the ehigh and the full?
finiteless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakeeyes wrote:
Hey Finiteless,

Are the three levels of the audio (norm, high, ehigh) designed by Sonalysts for those who want to change their audio settings? If I only play on extremely high can I simply download the ehigh and the full?

No, those are just the music folders for the music that came with DW, the music is context sensitive. Normal is, well, normal, i.e. no contacts and you're just early into the mission etc, High when you detect or are counter-detected etc., then when there are weapons away the music goes to eHigh, etc. It plays one of the files randomly from one of the relevant folders for that part of the mission.
finiteless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porphy wrote:
Great, I'm downloading now. You are really plugging away on mod work these day Finiteless, thanks Thumbs Up

Cheers Porphy

Yeah, been at it a bit Porphy, just got some busy times coming up and wanted to get some of this stuff finished off before I get too time limited. Smile
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirrored at my site. Thanks, Finiteless! Thumbs Up
Lane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Finiteless,
Download your mod last night the ambein sound mod Very Happy
Well at lease I can listen to mod before installing with windows
Meda player Wav files Very Happy Sounds good, Got them ready to go
in the e-high, High, and Normal folder and as aways back them up Very Happy
When you back up files do you change names or just make a backup
folder I have just been making a folder called backup and copy file
to folder? guess that's ok.
Thank's Fin, for the sound mods
Cheers
Lane Very Happy
finiteless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's all you need to do Lane. I normally move my backups on a separate hard drive (too easy to over-write or lose otherwise). I have three, one fast boot-up drive, one simming drive and one specifically for backing-up programs, files and info from the first two drives (plus of course, I eventually burn backups to CDs so I can get them off that backup hard drive).

One thing not to do for this ambience mod is to simply rename the music files and leave them in the original fold, because DW with still utilise any wave file remaining within the DW music folders, irrespective of name; i.e. DW will just randomly select a .wav file from the relevant folder, so make sure you move your music file backups to another folder.

Last edited by finiteless on Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
finiteless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Nichols wrote:
Mirrored at my site. Thanks, Finiteless! Thumbs Up

Excellent! Thanks Bill. Thumbs Up
Lane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finiteless,

Got all your sound mods installed. Very Happy
Do you think the new patch will change them?
Don't have any other mods installed just your's for now.
As a Rookie Very Happy Do you think I should install your Sub noise
Level mod I think that's what you call it sound's all greek to me.
Or just wait on new patch?
Lane Very Happy
finiteless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound files will not be altered by the first patch (according to the change-file list).

The database mod will be altered by the patch, and I'll have to make a new database version after the patch is released. I can do that fairly quickly as I have the relevant settings documented.

The current database mod is much better (in a 'realism' sense, not necessarily in a 'balanced' for game-play purposes sense) than the standard database, give it a try, it can't really hurt to try it if you have backed-up.

The patch will overwrite some of the database files.

(At the moment Amizaur is fomulating some awesome AI doctrine behaviour modifications, I've been trying them out and they are kicking butt! I guess he'll have a doctrine realism pack out in due time, which will complement the realism database edit ... I reckon in about six months a modded DW will really sizzle)
Barleyman

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the sound levels..

It seems to me that the missile launch and countermeasure SFX in OHP is way too loud wrt other sounds. I have the speech responses set to 10, sfx to 4 and still the missile launch is really too loud for late-night game sessions, if I have set the speech level to "comfortable listening level".

Especially nasty coming from active sonar station where you want to actually hear the pings!
finiteless

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken, but also keep in mind that actual rocket and missile launches are incredibly loud in practice, and not the sort of thing you try to be quiet about, thus as a 'realism' sound image, these are in context with all of the other sounds (except the missiles should be even louder, perhaps Wink ).

For playing late at night, I have a volume button on my keyboard (most do these days), so when I suspect there's soon to be a loud bang or missile launch, I can drop the volume a bit, then raise it again for sonar etc.

Cheers.
Barleyman

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRT clicking noises.

Your problem is that DW sound code does not like samples which do not start/stop at 0. Something old farts might be familiar with from Gravis Ultrasound..

Easiest way to fix that is to do a fade in/out. I just fixed (most) clicks in the russian voice pack with audacity and the fade in/out plugin, just add a 100ms fade.. Better yet, you can process 100-odd wavs in one go. Some stubborn clicks are still present in the adin, dva tri bla bla number samples so perhaps there is a glitch in the sound edit too.
finiteless

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barleyman wrote:
WRT clicking noises.

Your problem is that DW sound code does not like samples which do not start/stop at 0. Something old farts might be familiar with from Gravis Ultrasound..

Easiest way to fix that is to do a fade in/out. I just fixed (most) clicks in the russian voice pack with audacity and the fade in/out plugin, just add a 100ms fade.. Better yet, you can process 100-odd wavs in one go. Some stubborn clicks are still present in the adin, dva tri bla bla number samples so perhaps there is a glitch in the sound edit too.

I was aware of this and if you extract the sounds I have altered you will see that I did just that, but that is not the basic problem.

The real problem is in the way the .agg file is rebuilt when sounds are added to it, as the clicks are introduced into files by the rebuild.

It does this to files which were not even altered in anyway, nor even extracted in the first instance (as I’ve already described earlier within this thread), so there’s nothing that can be done about the click introduction during .agg rebuild, unfortunately.

btw, I am also an old fart, greetings from my virtual wheelchair. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mod Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: