Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

ANYBODY OUT THERE EVER READ ANY JOE BUFF BOOKS?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VICTOR II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: ANYBODY OUT THERE EVER READ ANY JOE BUFF BOOKS? Reply with quote

IF YOU LIKE SUBS YOU WILL LIKE THE BOOKS OF JOE BUFF THEY ARE VERY TECHNICAL . AND THOUGHT PROVOKING.THEY ARE ABOUT A FUTURE WAR WITH GERMANY. AND SUBS ARE THE GERMANS BEST WEAPON. THEY ARE CERAMIC HULLS AND CAN GO VERY DEEP.BUT AMERICA HAS THEM TOO AND WE HAVE TO DEFEND OURSELVES.VICTOR II
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAPS, man, CAPS! :dead:

I started one but couldn't finish it. Bad writing, ridiculous plot, and typical characters. Not even planning to review that stuff.

Neal
DAB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: ANYBODY OUT THERE EVER READ ANY JOE BUFF BOOKS? Reply with quote

VICTOR II wrote:
IF YOU LIKE SUBS YOU WILL LIKE THE BOOKS OF JOE BUFF THEY ARE VERY TECHNICAL . AND THOUGHT PROVOKING.THEY ARE ABOUT A FUTURE WAR WITH GERMANY. AND SUBS ARE THE GERMANS BEST WEAPON. THEY ARE CERAMIC HULLS AND CAN GO VERY DEEP.BUT AMERICA HAS THEM TOO AND WE HAVE TO DEFEND OURSELVES.VICTOR II

I've taken a look at them, but like the above could never fathom the concept. The books didn't read to well and to be frank - the concept of a War with Germany and South Africa is just too impossible for me.
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal Stevens wrote:

I started one but couldn't finish it. Bad writing, ridiculous plot, and typical characters. Not even planning to review that stuff.

Neal

I couldn't get past the dust cover :nope:
hunter301

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the first one "Deep Sound Channel" but had to put it aside because of some bad attitudes named "Charley", Ivan, Frances and Jeane. Stare Stare (Florida hurricanes for those not of this continent) What a mess. Surprised Surprised
Still trying to get the damage fixed. Just had the ceilings fixed and repainted this past weekend and have spent the past four nights putting "my" corner of the house back together. :zzz: :zzz: I'm beat.
Where talking computer, monitor, small tv, dvd, cable box and vcr all stuffed in one corner. Lots and lots of cables. Another night moving my 200 plus books back into the closet shelves. etc.... etc... :huh: :huh:
Anyway you get the idea. After this weekend I hope to sit down and pick up where I left off.
cowman1009

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Deep Sound Channel and a few others of his. Like everyone else stated...the concept of a war between Germany, South Africa and us is a bit far fetched. Now put it into real world situations such as China and North Korea and it may be a bit more realistic. As far as the technology goes...the new Virginia class is the start of some of those things in his books. Rock Rock
U-Dog

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying Crush Depth. The war scenario is certainly far-fetched but I almost prefer that, (esp when it comes to nuclear weapons) it is fiction after all. Certainly light reading, but that's what I was looking for. Couldn't say if any of the sci/tech is accurate or not so that doesn't bother me.

Cheers,
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: