Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Anyone still playing SC and/or SC+SCXIIc+SCU?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkShot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Anyone still playing SC and/or SC+SCXIIc+SCU? Reply with quote

I was just curious ...

I just installed both of these yesterday. I just got an urge to give it a go.

I know DW is out, but I already own SC. Also, I figure that SC is fairly stable/debugged and there are a ton of missions available.

Message traffic seems pretty slow in this forum compared to the DW forum. So, I was curious if folks are still playing this game or if the entire community has moved on?

Thanks.
cj95

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am most definately still playing, and will probably do so for quite some time.

SCU is the only platform that lets me wage Cold War battles pitting Thresher and Sturgeon class SSN's against old style Soviet counterparts.

Besides i have not even begun to scratch all the great missions available for SC.

Very Happy
Kapitan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Playing SCX Reply with quote

Yeppers. I am playin it here. Though the one bug I found on the LA Flight II is that the ESM is not detecting anything, but the periscope's mast is. LA Flight I and III are fine, just II. If you see this let me know. Thanks
Baron Max

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I still play SC regularly. But I've also gotten so good that the only AI that can be a threat to me is the 688(i) or the Seawolf. (I play using the Seawolf almost exclusively)

I use missions that I've created called "Rogue Seawolf 01" or "Rogue Seawolf 02" etc and just arbitrarily select one to play. It's the only threat that will keep my interest.

Baron Max
cj95

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if the Seawolf is too easy for you , you need to step down to something less uber-sub.

Maybe take a VICTOR III or an PERMIT for a spin?

Especially if the Ai is still using Seawolfs Surprised
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take an alpha for a spin that should mess you up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Baron Max

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm using only the original SC, not modded at all. I think there was an original patch, too, wasn't there? So I can't take any of those other subs for a "spin".

But all I've done is created a balance of threat that keeps up my interest in playing the sim. I use the Seawolf mostly because I'm totally familiar with it ...no other reason. But I often go up against two or three "rogue" Seawolves or 688's just to test myself and my skills. I often sneak by them to sink another vessel, then try to sneak back out without being killed. And that's what it's all about, ain't it? At least it is for me.

Baron Max
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir i take control of an alpha mostly a sub which was launched in 1972 i do go up against seawolfs and 688's while playing but i never seem to get killed by them
cj95

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitain wrote:
sir i take control of an alpha mostly a sub which was launched in 1972 i do go up against seawolfs and 688's while playing but i never seem to get killed by them

Thats pretty good. The Alpha ,as I understand it, has always been a noisy little devil.

Its speed and deep crush depth may give you an edge however.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj95 you will be suprised to know alpha at slow speeds is only slightly noiser than the 688 but obviously when taking her to the limits its like christmas come early to all enamy skippers!
cj95

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I remember reading that in one very famous incident, an Alpha rocketed her way directly underneath a NATO battlegroup at such a deep depth that the surface ships could do nothing to stop her.

(Or him I guess I must say)

Every ship on the surface had an excellent firing solution due to the noise, but at the time nobody had torpedoes that could reach that depth. Rolling Eyes

I'll have to try an Alpha myself soon, although my fav Russian boat has always been the VICTOR. (Dont ask me why.....just personal preference)
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: CJ 95 Reply with quote

the sub command alpha diving depth is wrong the true depth was classified till october last year after this game came out Damn

alpha submarines have been known to dive as deep as 1098 meters (3,600 feet Surprised ) and reach speeds of 45 knots

in subcommand it can only go to 700 meters but i have taken her to 715 meters if you can dont use speed when playing against more than 3 surface ships use depth ! in real life even the most modern torped like spearfish or MK48 adcap could not reach out an kill the alpha

good luck need any tips let me know
cj95

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just finished up a scenario.... 688i vs. a Chinese Han and an Alpha.

I was able to snag the Han fairly easily, and while tracking the Alpha was not too hard, I tell you the ai drove that sub like a madman.

I simply could not get my torps to manuver hard enough or fast enough to get kill.

I figured I spent a few million on wasted torpedoes before I finally withdrew to the West.

The Alpha never fired a shot at me, but I'll be darned if I did anything except ping her to death with torp seekers Stare
jsteed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alfa in SCX has its max depth set just about right. According to Cold War Submarines, Polmar, N., Moore, K. Brasseys Inc., 2004, p141 the test depth of the Alfa was 400m. It was never capable of diving deep due to poor titanium welds. According to its designers, (p144), it was very unreliable due to its poor automation system and very unreliable reactor.

It was a very futuristic design, but a very poor warship.

cheers, jsteed
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: