Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Pride runs deep

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Pride runs deep Reply with quote

New fiction - Anyone read it? I just saw it in the bookstore the other day.
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pride Runs Deep
by R. Cameron Cooke

Product Description

Shattered by the surprise attack at Pearl Harbor, the U.S. is rebuilding its fleet while the badly damaged Submarine Division Seven holds the line against the Japanese Navy. The loss of even one more submarine could be devastating--and every enemy ship that slips through means more lives lost. But Lieutenant Commander Jack Tremain is determined to whip into shape a boat that's returned from a hellish patrol and make the Japanese pay--even if this is his last mission ever.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started reading it the yesterday and I'm half way through it today! Its just been that hard to put down. Yep

So far its been very good, I saw one major plot twist coming a page before it did (and was very sad when it happened) I won't say which for those who haven’t read it, but other than that its been very gripping and reminiscent of the movie 'Twelve O’clock High'.

While the plot and characters are fictional lots of events in it are based on facts, if you've read books like 'Submarine!' by Edward L. Beach you'll recognize many of them.

I give it a Thumbs Up

Last edited by TLAM Strike on Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend just loaned it to me-haven't started it yet. He really liked it.
america person

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyah its pretty good, read it in about a day and half, so yeah its a pretty good, read-but then almost anything is better then doing a history assignment about something htat i could teach the class-and theyre alot of them days :sunny:
Baron Max

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished it last week ....and found it overloaded with emotional baggage until almost the very end. If I were to recommend it to anyone, I'd say begin reading it at about the halfway point (maybe even the 2/3rds point!) ...and you won't miss out on much and you'll save lots of time reading.

Baron Max
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished it. Thought it was well written, and the interplay was just about right for that kind of novel.

My only complaint was the whole scene near the end, when they're stuck on the bottom. Battery fixing, bucket brigades, "only one chance at this"...it seemed stolen directly from Das Boot.

On the whole, though, pretty good.
hunter301

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scanned thru it last night in a grocery store. While it seemed good I was amazed to find that they didn't even mention what type of sub he was taking over until page 84. It didn't seem to have the same detail in regards to play by play combat scenarios that "Submarine" and "Run Silent, Run Deep" had.
I picked it up anyway to try it out.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: