Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Opinion on Douglas Reeman books?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunter301

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Opinion on Douglas Reeman books? Reply with quote

I know he has always been big in the UK and I have found a lot of his older stuff lately. It seems he has written fictional novels on everything from sub warfare and flower class corvettes to destroyers and all way up to battleships. He even has a couple dealing with PT boats and the british version. The adventure in each book is based soley around that particular ship in which the book is titled about.
So before I start diving into his stuff I was wondering what people thought of his writing. Believable, staggering, informative, technical, precise and accurate, please give me some idea.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just say I recently dumped 15 of his books (PBs) in a garbage container. Big relief Rotfl I hadnt even read most of 'em. I rather read non-fiction or truely awesome fiction every now and then. Lack of time is a major issue for me as well, I have to add. Btw, the secondhand bookstore didnt want 'em. Go figure :hmm:
Baron Max

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on Douglas Reeman books? Reply with quote

I enjoyed most of Reeman's novels. I will say, however, that it's best to read them in order by published date. They aren't in a series exactly, but many are written with the same character who "grows" with each novel.

hunter301 wrote:
...I was wondering what people thought of his writing. Believable, staggering, informative, technical, precise and accurate, please give me some idea.
Thanks.

Well, first ...they're fiction - which means that they're NOT true. So you read them for enjoyment, not for education. However, Reeman was an old sailor and knows the sea and the navy, so he writes the novels with that background.

As for the novels being "...Believable, staggering, informative, technical, precise and accurate...", I'd have to say that they're mostly relatively true to life and history. But don't forget that they're FICTION, not histories or historical accounts.

Yes, I enjoyed them thoroughly (except for one that I recall about a giant submarine??? ...but it was also one of his later novels, I think.).

My recommendation? Yes, read them and try to read them in order of publication.

Baron Max
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub & Naval Books, Films, and Models All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: