Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Little Red Triangle...... You Have GOT To Be Kidding Me....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanzfeld

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The triangle, in SH-2, was a HUGE immersion killer. It would flash on a target before you could even see the target yourself. For us guys who are manual TDC nuts it just ruined the view from the scope. It is too arcadish.

Now if it only appears after you select a target in auto mode then it might be okay...but only AFTER you select a target.
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth: I cranked up the old Oct build of SH3 and there is no red triangle, whether in Casual or Expert targeting mode. There is a LOCK button that keeps the target in the crosshairs, but it is optional.

The difference between Casual and Expert (in that build) is that Casual automatically feeds the range, speed, course, and bearing to the TDC, just like in SH2, SH1, Aces, etc.

Expert means that you feed the data in, manually, and as I said in the preview, it works well and is pretty cool. I gave it two thumbs up.

One thing that has most SH3 players nervous is the idea that a crappy feature will be introduced late in the dev cycle and we will be stuck with it. I can understand that. But so far, my experience with Florin and Co. has been they do understand what is wanted by the veteran SH players, and they have realism options to cover it.

Like the little green sub, in my build there was no way to disable it, and we were pretty worried that this "stealth meter" was not optional. Florin assured me it is for easy realism options.

Like I said, our past experiences have made us wary (and jumpy!), me included, but I think these guys know their stuff. Thumbs Up

More to come when the next and final preview is done.

Neal
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanzfeld wrote:
The triangle, in SH-2, was a HUGE immersion killer. It would flash on a target before you could even see the target yourself. For us guys who are manual TDC nuts it just ruined the view from the scope. It is too arcadish.

Now if it only appears after you select a target in auto mode then it might be okay...but only AFTER you select a target.

Yes, and also the red triangle would not appear if a ship was mortally wounded, meaning it removed the realistic uncertainty that the ship would survive or sink :down:
Vonotto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just say one thing here:

WE ARE DOOMED DOOMED I TELL YOU.

Joking
Lanzfeld

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal....and to all others that are worried about hardcore TDC (me...LOL),

I just realized, and I am happy about it, that we may not need the periscope bearing indicator to be in one degree increments. I see that bearing to target is not something that we set in this game ourselves. It looks like we will set range, AOB, and speed. The bearing to target will probably be whatever bearing the scope is trained on so we don't have to set it. That would be cool and the equivalent of saying "Mark". Thumbs Up
For this to work to things are critical. The bearing has to be updated in the TDC very quickly and there can be no error between the bearing the scope is pointing at and the real bearing (error from SH-2 (thanks REDWINE)). Thumbs Up
JJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ Vonotto

Rotfl
martes86

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal Stevens wrote:
But so far, my experience with Florin and Co. has been they do understand what is wanted by the veteran SH players, and they have realism options to cover it.

Yeah, this DevTeam is a group of very open-minded guys, and they've fixed a lot of things that we asked them like the loose clothes textures, the Dynamic Campaign and a few more things.
Letum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanzfeld wrote:

I just realized, and I am happy about it, that we may not need the periscope bearing indicator to be in one degree increments. I see that bearing to target is not something that we set in this game ourselves. It looks like we will set range, AOB, and speed. The bearing to target will probably be whatever bearing the scope is trained on so we don't have to set it. That would be cool and the equivalent of saying "Mark". Thumbs Up
For this to work to things are critical. The bearing has to be updated in the TDC very quickly and there can be no error between the bearing the scope is pointing at and the real bearing (error from SH-2 (thanks REDWINE)). Thumbs Up

???? Is this realistic? was the periscope direction hooked up to the TDC on ww2 subs?!?

In SH2 I allwats set my TDC up for the conditions that are likely to occur at the end of the next 10 seconds and fire when the target moves in to the target bearing I have set - I do not try to set target bearing at the same time that I fire
Lanzfeld

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is kinda realistic. I just pretend that the crew is reading the bearing from my scope. Works for me....and I am hard to please with these things.
Thumbs Up
Vonotto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letum wrote:
Lanzfeld wrote:

???? Is this realistic? was the periscope direction hooked up to the TDC on ww2 subs?!?

In SH2 I allwats set my TDC up for the conditions that are likely to occur at the end of the next 10 seconds and fire when the target moves in to the target bearing I have set - I do not try to set target bearing at the same time that I fire

On WW2 subs the exec was stationed behind the scope and read off the bearing when the Capt said "mark" and that was entered into the TDC by the attack party. The scope was not hooked up to the TDC.
OlegM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, it's OFFICIAL, they had the Red Triangle in Das Boot!

Rock Rock Rock Argh

Oleg
OlegM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New evidence, so we're indeed DOOMED!

Argh Rock Neutral\ Rock

Oleg
Letum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wootastic! Thumbs Up
Lanzfeld

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is funny. Joking Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
OlegM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go on patrol without it!

Oleg
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: