Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Outdiving torpedoes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Outdiving torpedoes Reply with quote

Ugh. Just wanted someone to confirm this.
UGST max floor= 594m (1948ft)
SEAWOLF max depth= 2260 ft

So basicly in MP, if the seawolf goes deep the akula can't get at it?
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was worse without SCX, where the deepest diving ASW capable torpedo the akula had could only go some - oooh, I don't remember... 1000 feet? 800?
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I just did a test scenario where I drove (EDIT: a Seawolf) at 2200feet while I let an Akula shoot at me. After taking damage from some Shkvals and dodging some SSN-27-ASW's, he finally fired a UGST....

On the 3D, the UGST seemed to make two separate dives, the first after it had traveled about 2/3rds of the distance to me. The second dive was terminal. This "flight profile" seemed odd, because I would expect that the torpedo would first dive to search depth, and then turn towards its target and set an intercept course as soon as it had aquired. The terminal dive I observed occurred well after the UGST had ceased its snaking manuever, indicating it had already acquired me.

The torpedo was able to dive deep enough to reach me. While this is very encouraging from a balance point of view, it makes me very confused about the floor setting. I can only guess that the terminal dive I observed was the torpedo executing a program that allowed it to dive below the floor setting--maybe added by the SCX team? :hmm:

Oh, and one of the SSN-27-ASW torps managed to get down there too...the TACMAN lists its max depth as 1791 feet. Confused

------
UGST max floor: 594 meters/1949 feet
Seawolf depth: 2200 feet
UGST exceeded floor depth by 251 feet

Last edited by Molon Labe on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
BrettDez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Well, Reply with quote

Personally, I value authenticity over balance. If the Akulas have a real disadvantadge, then anyone who wants to use them will have to deal with the problem just like the real captains.
Konovalov

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Reply with quote

BrettDez wrote:
Personally, I value authenticity over balance. If the Akulas have a real disadvantadge, then anyone who wants to use them will have to deal with the problem just like the real captains.

Ditto. Yep
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree, assuming of course that the actual performance is known. But I think this sort of information is classified.
timmyg00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That information would indeed be hard to come by... and the UGST was not even part of the stock loadout of SC. SCX added the UGST to our arsenal. I'm sure some educated guesses were made as to its capabilities.

TG
Tusipex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Reply with quote

BrettDez wrote:

Yea, it would bring some kamikaze Akulas Squads into multiplayer games . For Mother Russia Kamrades !!

Although, shkval's used to be armed with nuclear warheads - when talking about authenticy....but Akula opponents would have to face serious problem than...
OptimusX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightweight torpedoes, such as the Stallion launched or Helo dropped types, are usually the most capable in terms of depth capability. The development of modern lightweight torpedoes focused strictly on being able to pursue fast, deep diving submarines. The current Mk50, I believe, was designed during the "Alfa scare."

Also, the publicly stated operating depths for torpedoes, like submarines, do not accurately portray their capabilities.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that a torpedo is equipped with a "sensor cone." If you set your torpedo to the maximum search depth, you would have to trust that the programmers and engineers would allow the weapon to engage targets detected within the cone, even if it means going deepr.

If that wasen't the case, then setting your weapon to search at the maximum depth setting would effectively reduce your weapon's cone volume by 50%....which is just plain stoopid Joking Rotfl Joking
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was refering to the floor, not the search depth.
OptimusX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay....i see what you are saying...this would make it seem to operately differently than the floor setting...as a weapon can acquire a surface target but never detonate b/c of the cieling.

I think AI torp doctrines work differently from the player...I think the real test would be to see if you could set up an AI seawolf to run a constant course at a constant depth....and see if your UGST will be able to lock on.

This is worthy of investigation....but perhaps there is some leeway to both floor/cieling as far as target acquisition and terminal homing. It may be possible for a weapon to go a little extra above and below to get a target...I do know from experience though in MP, that a weapon can acquire a Sierra-II but never be able to reach it, so the ability to surpass the floor can only be so much, if at all for the Player controlled weapon.
Scion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should modern torpedos have maximum depths anyway? I assume any area that is filled with air would be able to be isolated enough from pressure for it to be of little effect...
OptimusX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the greater the depth, the more taxed the weapon is in terms of fuel consumption, ability to manuever, etc. A weapon may not be able to generate the energy to decrease depth if it is way too deep.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a torpedoes will have air spaces from the space between the computer boards, batteries, shaft etc and if its a non battery fish the liquid fuel might allow for water pressure to crush the weapon.
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presuming that the interior is filled with pure water, (no salts, so it doesn't lead electricity) instead of air, then the "implosion" problem should be non-existent.

However, the pressure might still warp components, the electronics being especially vulnerable.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: