Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Operational Question for the sub vets (688i)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driftwood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Operational Question for the sub vets (688i) Reply with quote

I was wondering if it's necessary in SC (and in RL) to physically turn off the switch for your radio antenae or your towed array after they've fully deployed? In SC is seems like they turn off automatically when fully extended because the sound effects stop but when you turn the switch to the off position you get the sound effect again. Just was wondering if the mechanism sends out transient noise if you don't turn off the switches.
Sulikate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a very interesting question, and I also would like to know the answer (I have noticed that only the seawolf's towed array switch automatically turns off) Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In RL, I assume it would be done by the crew as soon as it was out or in.

In SC, I have news for you: It doesn't increase ownship noise in the first place.
Driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that! Thanks!
Rip

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Operational Question for the sub vets (688i) Reply with quote

lrankine wrote:
I was wondering if it's necessary in SC (and in RL) to physically turn off the switch for your radio antenae or your towed array after they've fully deployed? In SC is seems like they turn off automatically when fully extended because the sound effects stop but when you turn the switch to the off position you get the sound effect again. Just was wondering if the mechanism sends out transient noise if you don't turn off the switches.

In RL it takes a couple of sonarmen to retrieve/deploy the array. It causes some noise but very little. Ship control operations are normally restricted during such an operation.

The ships crew is always very cautious with the TA. These things are very important and expensive. Not to mention a major pain in the ass to replace. Having to port early from Patrol to have your TA replaced is not a way to win friends at Squadron Rotfl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rip! Here's another question for you. I've always heard (primarily from the movies) that if approaching a sub from it's baffles "they're deaf as a post." Unless of course they've got their TA out. Since that's one of the first things I do in game (deploy my TA) it seems like trying to navigate behind an OPFOR sub would be a fruitless and very risky maneuver. You seem to imply that use of the TA is not something that's done as routinely as one might expect.
Rip

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrankine wrote:
Thanks Rip! Here's another question for you. I've always heard (primarily from the movies) that if approaching a sub from it's baffles "they're deaf as a post." Unless of course they've got their TA out. Since that's one of the first things I do in game (deploy my TA) it seems like trying to navigate behind an OPFOR sub would be a fruitless and very risky maneuver. You seem to imply that use of the TA is not something that's done as routinely as one might expect.

No the TA is used often. Usually out when on station. You have to move it every now and then. Often just a little in or out. It isn't a good idea to have any type of streaming array device on any platform work the same friction points for ever. Even in my non-military career with ROVs and scanning sonars this is the case.

It is indeed very difficult to detect contacts in the baffles without the array. Even with the array it can be difficult to detect contacts at 180degrees relative. As the TA sensors move off the beam they are conical. Thus the way the mirror contact works. The TA cannot tell the difference between 160 relative and 200 relative. When you near 180 relative the contact and ther mirror merge resulting in bearing resolution problems. Of course all of this is slight, but critical when your life may depend upon it Ping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sub Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Towed Arrays Reply with quote

In real life the towed array turns off when it reaches the stops, either steaming or retrieving. The crew can and often do stop the retrieve or stream at some mid point, ordered by the conn because of water depth.
A fat wire can take some dragging, but the 23 or thin line damage easy, but if either drags you can't hear anyway.
Beleve it or not sharks used to bite them, I don't know if that is still a problem or not. We were able to repace the floating wire which you can not do in SC, and I beleive, it has been a long time we could repalce the 16, but the thin lines were on big spools in the ballast tanks and that was in port job.
With the floating wire out, going deeper would ruin the OOD's day, cut it every time. Co would speak rudely of your mother and the radiomen-no sense of humor.

Have a good one,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: