Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Where is the Multiplayer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> ENIGMA: Rising Tide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mendipbus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Where is the Multiplayer? Reply with quote

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has any news on the multiplayer side of things, last time I looked at the site it said it would be out xmas time?

Is MP still being worked on or is it dead in the water?

Thanks
Navarre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the Multiplayer? Reply with quote

mendipbus wrote:
last time I looked at the site it said it would be out xmas time?

Yes they promised it two years ago for xmas, they promised it last year for xmas and they will do it again this year for xmas
- same procedure as every year Miss Sophie

webcam shot from the TAG office:

And I promise also, I will never buy again a TAG product Neutral\
Jesper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Very Happy
mendipbus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: well that is just great :) Reply with quote

Well That is just fine and dandy Sad

So looks as though MP is dead in the water then Sad

Oh well, roll on DW I say

rock and roll
EAST

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found that we had to rework a huge amount of code in order to get to multiplayer. Starting last October we began re-coding the game so we can finally release multiplayer. When? When it's done.
Rommel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We found that we had to rework a huge amount of code in order to get to multiplayer. Starting last October we began re-coding the game so we can finally release multiplayer. When? When it's done.

When it's done, you're not ID, somehow I think this statement is "When we can't milk anymore versions of Enigma Rising Tide and we finally admit we're over our heads, then we will be done"
mendipbus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: what about an mp demo? Reply with quote

Hello

Ok how about an MP demo?

There must be enough code to create a simple MP demo now?

Oh well
Pioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What continues to amaze me about the consumer is their continual demand for a superior product, coupled with their demand for instant gratification. :nope:

I'm sure that if TAG were to release their MP now you could hear the howls of "inferiority" from out here.

Commerical entities rarely have such close contact with their consumers as TAG do, commercial business rarely shows their consumer the same degree of professionalism that TAG has.

If they say "when it's done" that's good enough for me, knowing that when it's done, it will be done right.

But feel free to slip out and produce your own MP by the weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mendipbus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: ummm Reply with quote

ummm,well if the site was updated more about the MP side, then I would not have asked, as someone said the xmas mp release was showing 2 or 3 years ago.

I was also not asking for the full mp side to be released, but maybe a demo so we can all see how it fares.

I have a feeling when DW and SH3 are released in feb with fully working MP, then maybe interest in enigma MP might start to decline.

Also there are no good game releases until feb and march this year, which is annoying.

over and out
Seeadler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ummm Reply with quote

mendipbus wrote:

I was also not asking for the full mp side to be released, but maybe a demo so we can all see how it fares.
I have a feeling when DW and SH3 are released in feb with fully working MP, then maybe interest in enigma MP might start to decline.

As far as I know, differently to DW or SH3 there is is no common LAN/Internet/P2P multiplayer intended for E:RT
The multiplayer in R:RT will be designed as pay-ware, you must pay a monthly fee to get access to the 24/7 servers. This is nearly impossible to show in a demo until you do not have the full background ready, say server hoster, billing system etc.
mendipbus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: ah Reply with quote

Hello

Well I know this is a niche market, but world of warcraft and also guild wars have had open beta clients out.

what my main concern is the lack of information about the MP side of things.
mendipbus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ah Reply with quote

mendipbus wrote:
Hello

Well I know this is a niche market, but world of warcraft and also guild wars have had open beta clients out.

what my main concern is the lack of information about the MP side of things.

ok scrap this, I realise the money involved etc, but will wait and see
EAST

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rommel wrote:
Quote:

When it's done, you're not ID, somehow I think this statement is "When we can't milk anymore versions of Enigma Rising Tide and we finally admit we're over our heads, then we will be done"

Reality Check:

Somehow you are tying in the desire to get something done properly with a company famous for doing just that - but in a negative way. ID could dictate to their publisher when they would release. We select our publishers when the products are ready to go out the door. Our big risk is running out of money before we can release, not living high off the hog until we feel we HAVE to release it. Being an independent studio it's very important to release a bug free, stable and fun game. That's what I mean by when it's done. I didn't say when every last desired feature and bit of polish has been implemented.

GOLD Releases, etc. are to help us stay in business AND make it easier for people to have access to all of the FREE upgrades we have made to Engima over the last year (about 400mb worth).

Hope that clears it up, see you in multiplayer.
EAST

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: what about an mp demo? Reply with quote

mendipbus wrote:
Hello

Ok how about an MP demo?

There must be enough code to create a simple MP demo now?

Oh well

We did demo the alpha multiplayer code at ENGIMACON in April 2004. It was well received and enjoyed. It also let us know just how far we had to go to make it capable of being seeing life as a MMOG.

Since starting Tesseraction Games we have been in over our heads btw. It would be foolish to think otherwise. The difference is, Alex and I have chosen to not stop swimming for the surface. Even with outside events working hard to make sure we drown. You may not know that we lost our lead engineer last summer to a local company - this made it impossible to get MP done last year.

We will start posting multiplayer news as soon as I have the level of confidence I need to start reporting on it again.

Last edited by EAST on Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spectator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just keep up that level of communication and everything is fine, at least for me Smile

as long as there is a constant flow of information (news about the game, news about new ppl working on the code, etc.) ppl should be happy Smile

but the most important thing is to keep us also informed if something goes wrong, like MP will not be out like we've promised because of ... and so on. only giving us good news like approx. release dates and then not releasing is not good, better tell us something went wrong, before the date has passed. (no offense, i fully understand the reasons for the delay, that's not what my "complaining" is about, hope you get what i want to say Smile)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> ENIGMA: Rising Tide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: