Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Official website

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deamon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Official website Reply with quote

Ahoy guys,

there it is:

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm

Some new pics and informations. How do you like the articles about U1 and U31, guys ?

In the name of the Imperial U-Flotilla stuff, i wish you a happy new year. Smile

Cheers,
Deamon
Der Teddy Bar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Should be in the news in the next edition.

Have a happy new year,

Dion
ABBAFAN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES YES YES!!!FANTASTIC!
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thumbs Up

I hope to see more on the site soon. Very Happy

Deamon if you didn't catch my post in the PA forum, I could rebuild a version of my S boat as a D, F, E ETC class US submarine from WWI if you like.

Are you interested in one for your sim?

EDIT: I may start to venture in to Surface Ship 3D design. I've been thinking of making a WWII USCGS Dione or a 4 Piper DD. Let me know whats needed for the sim and some links to pictures and I'll see what I can squeze in my list of 3D projects. (I got some VS Ships and EV Nova ships for a Firefly mod on my ever growing list.)
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
Nice! Thumbs Up

I hope to see more on the site soon. Very Happy

Deamon if you didn't catch my post in the PA forum, I could rebuild a version of my S boat as a D, F, E ETC class US submarine from WWI if you like.

Are you interested in one for your sim?

Thanks for your offer mate but what i would rather need are submarines that existed already befor the WWI started and thous that was available early in the war. And what i would need most are german, british and then K.u.K. submarines the last one are then US submarines.

The models should have a very high level of ditail and should be researched well enough. The quality should be equal to my other u-boats.

Are you going to model the interiours too ?

Do you know the diameter of the periscopes of the S-Class ?

Wasn't you once alot in to modern subs ?

Deamon
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still 'in to' modern subs. I'm also interested in WWII subs manly ones of the USN. WWI is one area I haven’t looked at much but seems very interesting. Modeling some boats seems like a good way to learn a lot about it.

Research isn't a problem; I did lots for my other projects. (USS Ohio SSBN, Kilo SSK, Oscar Interior, S-Boat). Also I can do lots of detail given the time, so I probably could produce subs around the LOD of your current subs. However if this is a German side only sim I would recommend making Allied (or whatever the US, France, Russia and UK were called in WWI- 10th grade history class was a long time ago Wink ) of a lower level of detail for better FPS.

I could model interiors. I'm making one for my S boat. I assume US/UK subs will not be playable so interiors are not needed? My S boat will have a full interior out of around 7000 polys.

You got me on the S boat's scope. I don't know so I just guessed and probably got it wrong.

I took a look at some WWI era UK subs and the ‘C’ class looks like a good start. Its design is quite simple much like a modern boat. Would this be a sub good for the sim? I know they served in WWI.
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
I'm still 'in to' modern subs. I'm also interested in WWII subs manly ones of the USN. WWI is one area I haven’t looked at much but seems very interesting.

Yes, it's very interesting once you learned something about it. I'm quite happy that i have decided to do a WWI sim. It's very thrilling to research, explore, and recreate a sutch far behinde laying forgotten era.

Quote:

Modeling some boats seems like a good way to learn a lot about it.

Right and i model very extensevly eatch model with great attention to every small ditail with alot of research flown in to it. I choose very carefully whitch typ i mode next. It's part of my submarine study.

Quote:

Research isn't a problem;

You think so ? I think research is even the main problem. At least true for the german submarines and at least for the ditail and authenticity level i aim to. With my level of ditail i'm realy going bayond of what you usualy see in the games.

Quote:

I did lots for my other projects. (USS Ohio SSBN, Kilo SSK, Oscar Interior, S-Boat).

Oscar ? Interesting. Have you found something comprehensive ?

Quote:

Also I can do lots of detail given the time, so I probably could produce subs around the LOD of your current subs. However if this is a German side only sim I would recommend making Allied (or whatever the US, France, Russia and UK were called in WWI- 10th grade history class was a long time ago Wink ) of a lower level of detail for better FPS.

Right, but as i said i choose the submarines that i model very carefully and consider them always as possible driveable at a later state. I will not stop with germans as driveables. Afte the germans, i will model K.u.K. u-boats as driveables and then UK and US subs(if research permits in the quality adn level of ditail i aim for).

Quote:

I could model interiors. I'm making one for my S boat. I assume US/UK subs will not be playable so interiors are not needed? My S boat will have a full interior out of around 7000 polys.

Very interesting. Would like to see when you'r done. Hmm, 7000 polys ! :hmm:

With my U1 i'm arrived currently at around 575000 polys for the interiour only :8Cool Not optimized of course but it's just half finished :doh:

Quote:

You got me on the S boat's scope. I don't know so I just guessed and probably got it wrong.

Ehh, what ?

Quote:

I took a look at some WWI era UK subs and the ‘C’ class looks like a good start. Its design is quite simple much like a modern boat. Would this be a sub good for the sim? I know they served in WWI.

Must take a look at it first. The e-class was the most used one.

Deamon
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deamon wrote:
Quote:

Research isn't a problem;

You think so ? I think research is even the main problem. At least true for the german submarines and at least for the ditail and authenticity level i aim to. With my level of ditail i'm realy going bayond of what you usualy see in the games.
Well I got time. Very Happy

Quote:
Quote:

Also I can do lots of detail given the time, so I probably could produce subs around the LOD of your current subs. However if this is a German side only sim I would recommend making Allied (or whatever the US, France, Russia and UK were called in WWI- 10th grade history class was a long time ago Wink ) of a lower level of detail for better FPS.

Right, but as i said i choose the submarines that i model very carefully and consider them always as possible driveable at a later state. I will not stop with germans as driveables. Afte the germans, i will model K.u.K. u-boats as driveables and then UK and US subs(if research permits in the quality adn level of ditail i aim for).
Part of the reason I offered to do some surface ships as my first project, since this is a sub sim surface ships can be of lesser LOD. Also I model all my subs with interiors in mind, so they could be added latter.

Quote:
Quote:

Must take a look at it first. The e-class was the most used one.

Deamon
Cs were coastal boats with 18 units built. A few attacked U-Boats.

http://www.britsub.net/

Quote:
Quote:

Ehh, what ?
You asked about the diameter of the S boat's scope.

Quote:
Quote:

I did lots for my other projects. (USS Ohio SSBN, Kilo SSK, Oscar Interior, S-Boat).

Oscar ? Interesting. Have you found something comprehensive ?
Not really, I had to do a lot of quess work and made lots of comprises. it was my least accurate project.

Quote:
Quote:

With my U1 i'm arrived currently at around 575000 polys for the interiour only :8Cool Not optimized of course but it's just half finished :doh:
Optimize, cut wasted polys as you work because your making a lot of work for your self latter.

Here check out some pics of my work. You will only see objects like walls in views from the inside so in some places it will look funny, but inside its seamless. I did choose to not model all the piping since it took up entire walls.

^Half completed conn, Galley, Radio Room, Store Room, and Captain's room with bunk, books, picture and hand gun.

^Engne and motor rooms about 50% done

Forward berthing/galley and torpedo room. Included a head in the berthing area. (NOTE: This section is in the process of a rebuild.)
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

Man it's hard to shake you of! Joking Laughing I'm just kidding.

Quote:

Part of the reason I offered to do some surface ships as my first project,

Offered ? to whom ?

Quote:

since this is a sub sim surface ships can be of lesser LOD.

Kinda. A steamer can be 10000 polys or even more in some cases.

Quote:

Also I model all my subs with interiors in mind, so they could be added latter.

Nice, kinda thought it.

Quote:

Well, ok let's start with it. That should be the type then that you have to expect near the british coast.

Would you also like to model surface vessels ?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ehh, what ?
You asked about the diameter of the S boat's scope.

Oh you mean the periscopes!

Quote:
Quote:

Optimize, cut wasted polys as you work because your making a lot of work for your self latter.

Well,actualy 250000 polys are occupied by the batteries most of whitch are covered anyway and can be left out in the game. I will so for many objects LOD's too. but i aim for the newer hardware anyway whitch can handle high poly objects well. I would like to do a great u-boat experiance.

Quote:

Here check out some pics of my work.

What a nice surprize, mate! What of it is the radioroom ?

Quote:

You will only see objects like walls in views from the inside so in some places it will look funny, but inside its seamless.

Ehh, what i will see only walls inside ?

Sorry my english is not the best.

Quote:

I did choose to not model all the piping since it took up entire walls.

What do you mean ?

I model every pipe, every cable and every bolt.

Deamon
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deamon wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

yea I'm worse than a MK 48 ADCAP. Wink

Quote:
Quote:

Part of the reason I offered to do some surface ships as my first project,

Offered ? to whom ?
A few posts back as an edit:

"I may start to venture in to Surface Ship 3D design. I've been thinking of making a WWII USCGS Dione or a 4 Piper DD. Let me know what needed"

Quote:
Quote:

Well, ok let's start with it. That should be the type then that you have to expect near the british coast.

Would you also like to model surface vessels ?
I've started fooling around with some shapes for a 'C' class, I'll post some early pics when I get some more research material on hand.

I could model some surface ships, but I don't really have any experience with them. So it might not work out well at first, but I'm willing to learn the skills needed for surface ships. I want to start small with ships like Patrol boats or armed Trawlers.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well,actualy 250000 polys are occupied by the batteries most of whitch are covered anyway and can be left out in the game. I will so for many objects LOD's too. but i aim for the newer hardware anyway whitch can handle high poly objects well. I would like to do a great u-boat experiance.

Quote:
Quote:

Here check out some pics of my work.

Aft of the control room along the port side. There is nothing impressive in there yet, but I plan on copying some 40's era Radios in it.

Quote:
Quote:

You will only see objects like walls in views from the inside so in some places it will look funny, but inside its seamless.

Ehh, what i will see only walls inside ?

Sorry my english is not the best.
What I mean is that I removed anything not seen from the inside for my inteior or on deck so you can look through walls and stuff if the camria is someplace a player will not normaly be.

Quote:
Quote:

I did choose to not model all the piping since it took up entire walls.

What do you mean ?

I model every pipe, every cable and every bolt.

Deamon
[/quote] This boat seemed to be more pipes than submarine! Laughing I can do more accurate piping given the time, polys and resources. But knowing the detail you wanted is why I'm trying to stay with Allied and AI craft.
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

yea I'm worse than a MK 48 ADCAP. Wink

Laughing

Quote:

"I may start to venture in to Surface Ship 3D design. I've been thinking of making a WWII USCGS Dione or a 4 Piper DD. Let me know what needed"

Ah, missed it.

Quote:

I've started fooling around with some shapes for a 'C' class, I'll post some early pics when I get some more research material on hand.

What do you have so far ? Any plans and drawings ?

Quote:

I could model some surface ships, but I don't really have any experience with them. So it might not work out well at first, but I'm willing to learn the skills needed for surface ships. I want to start small with ships like Patrol boats or armed Trawlers.

That's what i wanted to suggest. I can give you some plans later of the first german torpedo boats that were quite simple.

Quote:
Quote:

Aft of the control room along the port side. There is nothing impressive in there yet, but I plan on copying some 40's era Radios in it.

I think there are some images of radios in american WWI u-boats.

Quote:
This boat seemed to be more pipes than submarine! Laughing I can do more accurate piping given the time, polys and resources.

Comprehensive research will be neccessery first. I will not model interiours without enough informations and a deeper understanding of the design. I couldn't finde any plans for the british submarines so far. Maybe the plans of the American subs can be adapted for the british ? Although i prefer highest possible authenticity. I write authenticity in big letters in this project. Because that's what this project is about, recreating technologie of the past.

Quote:

But knowing the detail you wanted is why I'm trying to stay with Allied and AI craft.

Did my polycount scared you ? Argh

Maybe it's time to show you what i'm talking about ?

Deamon
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a few small line drawings and about a dozen pictures. Luckily it’s a version of a Holland type design so it’s very simple. I'll continue to search.

I haven’t found an interior diagram yet, but I will build the hull with one in mind. If I don't find any the boat can be just for AI or we can adapt a US design.

BTW the C class used a tactic I found interesting when hunting U-Boats. They would be towed submerged by a trawler that would act as a target for a U-Boat. When one showed up the sub would attack it. You've probably already read about that, but I found it interesting.

I think I got a handle on what level of detail you want, and I can pull it off. If there is any special types of detail you want me to include show me some pics. How do you want hatches and the safety lines built? Some pics of yours would help.

Keep the plans for those torpedo boats handy, I might try one after I finish this sub.
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
Well I have a few small line drawings and about a dozen pictures. Luckily it’s a version of a Holland type design so it’s very simple. I'll continue to search.

I would like to take a look at thouse line drawings. Are this from the same page that you gaved me the link of on your previews post ?

Quote:

I haven’t found an interior diagram yet, but I will build the hull with one in mind. If I don't find any the boat can be just for AI or we can adapt a US design.

I intend to do the e-class as playable, since it was the most used type. So would fit in any mission.

And i guess, since it was the most build typ it might be also the best documented one as well. But finaly the research results will determine whitch one will be driveable.

Quote:

BTW the C class used a tactic I found interesting when hunting U-Boats. They would be towed submerged by a trawler that would act as a target for a U-Boat. When one showed up the sub would attack it. You've probably already read about that, but I found it interesting.

Sure i know this and other tactics.

Quote:

I think I got a handle on what level of detail you want, and I can pull it off. If there is any special types of detail you want me to include show me some pics. How do you want hatches and the safety lines built? Some pics of yours would help.

First, i think i should show you what i'm talking about. Check your PM.

Deamon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: