Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

S.Asian disaster

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxRiga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: S.Asian disaster Reply with quote

interesting, does the undesrwater earthquake has effect on submarines in the area? I know how the waves crashes onto shores ( the 10 meter wave effect , ships goes far to the ocean from coast line ) but have no idea how it can effect on underwater streams. Any1 knows it for sure ?
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if a submarine were hit by any underwater wave from this it would be absorbed evenly over the hull much like the shockwave from a tactical nuke (assuming it was at the edge of the blast). This is much different than the shockwave caused by say a depth charge that is focused at one area of the hull causing it to breach because its not absorbed by the entire hull.

I don’t know if this caused an underwater shockwave but that’s basically what would happen to a submarine caught in it.
elcid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anything would happen to a ship, surface or submerged, in deep water. i understand that tsunamis in open oceans can be kilometers long with only a few feet from crest to trough so it could pass a ship without it's crew even being aware of it.

elcid
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsunamis travel underwater at exactly like sounds do - a pressure wave. The difference is that the pressure moves water above the surface level as it is pushed up by its own momentum and the decreasing depth of the bottom.

The worst that could happen to a submarine caught in it would be that the boat shifted a bit. Esp in deeper waters, it's pretty much dispersed across the depth.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: